Lost containers - Nelson Bay

raging

Doubt many are heading out, but if you are

"

MORE than 80 shipping containers have tumbled from a Liberian ship off the Hunter’s coast, Roads and Maritime Services have confirmed. 

Liberia-registered ship YM Efficiency lost the containers overboard as the ship made its way from Kaohsiung in Taiwan south to Port Botany. 

The 83 containers were believed to have fallen off the ship in Commonwealth waters about 30 kilometres from the Central Coast. 

Roads and Maritime Services executive director Angus Mitchell said the authority was notified on Friday afternoon, with another 30 containers aboard the ship sustaining damage. 

“While the contents of the containers are unknown, we understood they do not contain dangerous goods,” Mr Mitchell said. “A full manifest of the cargo on board the vessel, and the condition of the vessel, is being sought.”

Reports of containers sighted about 100 metres offshore at Fingal Head and Boondelbah Island have already emerged. 

The recovery and removal of the cargo will fall to the shipping vessel’s operator, but swimmers and skippers are urged to keep an eye out for the containers, which may pose navigation hazards. 

Any sightings should be reported to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority on 1800 641 792."

• Like 1

A few years back i was running back into Broken Bay late arvo with the sun in my eyes at about 20 knots - Nor Easter was blowing and i was surfing in at around 18-20 knots- one of the wind waves about 10 meters in front of me broke in a funny way and I just swerved in time to miss the corner of a mostly sunken shipping container- scared the crap out of me- called Coastguard (as they were at the time) and let them know but I reckon the odd mystery sinking of small boats at sea is when someone hits one . 

Looks like it’s Nappies, surgical masks and Tampons .....
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/tonnes-of-cargo-wash-up-on-nsw-beaches-after-stricken-ship-sheds-load/news-story/4a0e4744d4e1c0c8614c2347591b81bb

.... bugger that they are wrapped in steel shells otherwise we’d just power through !!
Edited by zmk1962

16 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Looks like it’s Nappies, surgical masks and Tampons .....
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/tonnes-of-cargo-wash-up-on-nsw-beaches-after-stricken-ship-sheds-load/news-story/4a0e4744d4e1c0c8614c2347591b81bb

.... bugger that they are wrapped in steel shells otherwise we’d just power through !!

paper mache