Port Hacking Landbased

jtp

Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted in a long time. Have been caught up with work. Thought I'd put up today's landbased session which is a little different to my usual style of fishing (kayak/boat).

I was supposed to get to my spot in the port hacking river by 630am. It takes around a 30min hike through bushland. This didn't happen. I arrived at 10 o'clock to get the start of the runout. Conditions weren't great. High winds and side rain, but this settled down after a bit.

Started off using soft plastics (squidgy prawn) with 6lb braid and 8lb mono to start as I've caught some good bream and snapper here before. Straight away I get a good hit on the descent and reel in a tailor measuring 38cm. I try again several times but get bitten off everytime (seemed like there was nothing else there except tailor). Switched to a rapala and cast after cast I was bringing in tailor (6 in total from 36cm to 42cm). They were all released.

20180601_103616.thumb.jpg.7cf466b4cd8a742567dcf0bf82c8781e.jpg

Suddenly on a retrieve something else hits and gives a much better fight. So good in fact that it broke my rod (there must have been some previous damage). Brought in a good bonito at 58cm. 20180601_110312.thumb.jpg.a5aef3209cf5404014bd6ddf755ef600.jpg

Given that my rod was broken and no further fishing was to be done I kept the bonito for the table and headed home. All up fishing time was under an hour. The drive and hike took 3hours.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

• Like 3

On 02/06/2018 at 7:30 AM, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Joe, I like the look of those squidgy prawns, think I will have to pick some up to try :thumbup:

Thanks mate. I find the squidgy prawns work pretty well with some sort of scent. I was using the provided s-factor. Pretty wide range of species. 

On 02/06/2018 at 8:14 AM, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Joe! Rewarded for your effort!

Thanks Berleyguts. Fishing is a very good motivator for exercise I found!

On 02/06/2018 at 9:42 AM, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report Joe well done like the  Tailor photo .

Cheers mate.

On 03/06/2018 at 10:37 AM, sam bros said:

Good report mate,

Shame about the rod though

Thanks Sam. Haha I'm off to buy a new rod soon. Looking at an upgrade. So looks like it's going to be alright.