Ocean access between South West Rocks and coffs

beernuts

Hi all,   New to the site but looking to get as much information as I can about the above location.  We have just put an offer in on a house in Scotts Head.  I have a 6.5m Haines Hunter and not sure about the local ramp.  Seems very shallow.  Is there any place I can put the boat in safely,, (prefer no to beach launch) other than south west rocks or Coffs.  

Also advice on fishing clubs would be good.    We are moving from Melbourne so this area of shore is new and also love the idea of what is in the rivers.  Seems like a fishing Mecca.  

Cheers John

Scotts is Ok- beach launch but can be done with a std trailer setup and a 4wd (be pushing it in an AWD)- Nambucca is not generally a bar that even the locals cross- only thing about Scotts is that your boat might be a bit on the heavy side, Coffs will be fine as will SWR, if your going to be living there - and you are right the fishing is superb around there- you aint going to be going out on rough days anyway- trade the HH in on a 5.5 M tinnie and then youve got something that can take you offshore, go crabbing in the rivers or whatever you like- good luck with the move!

There is Shelly Beach at Nambucca heads - but that is beach launch if you want to go outside.

I would not attemp the Nambucca Bar - for my tastes - but the ramp next to the RSL is pretty good for river access.

There is also a beach launch at Woonoona Head (yeah, I know you said - prefer no beach launch!) just North of Nambucca.

God's Country - you will love it up there.

There's a fishing club based out of Nambucca and also Coffs 

The Scotts head ramp is ok as previously stated your boat may be a little heavy a mate of mine launches a 6m boat out of Scotts regularly, you can rule out Shelly beach in Nambucca for the forseeable future as theres a huge sandbar formed about 50m out, there are a few guys that regularly go through the Nambucca bar but as said not the safest crossing 

apart from Coffs you have Urunga although I don't know anyone that heads out off there 

Let me know when you move up and I'll connect you with a couple of fellas that fish off here regularly and if you're ever up for a fish I'm happy to share a few spots 

Dave

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, dirvin21 said:

There's a fishing club based out of Nambucca and also Coffs 

The Scotts head ramp is ok as previously stated your boat may be a little heavy a mate of mine launches a 6m boat out of Scotts regularly, you can rule out Shelly beach in Nambucca for the forseeable future as theres a huge sandbar formed about 50m out, there are a few guys that regularly go through the Nambucca bar but as said not the safest crossing 

apart from Coffs you have Urunga although I don't know anyone that heads out off there 

Let me know when you move up and I'll connect you with a couple of fellas that fish off here regularly and if you're ever up for a fish I'm happy to share a few spots 

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for your reply.   unfortunately  missed the house at Scotts Head, but from a fishing point of view fell on my feet with a Property a bit further north of Coffs at Wooli.  If all goes well should be in, end of August.  Know anything about this area.  The bar although narrow is short and not to concerned.

53 minutes ago, Jiggy said:

You can also launch at Minnie Water which is not far from Wooli. It's a lagoon launch and  reasonably safe. Check it out and see what you think.

Wooli is very shallow and tends to have side currents, I have to keep my engine trimmed up and push my rib into deeper water at low tide. Minnie water also has similar issues especially with a heavy boat, once your weels hit the wet sand you have be quick before the trailer wheels sink in. Have everything ready before hand rather than backing the wheels into the water and deciding to undo straps etc.

Have you done many bar crossings ? Plenty of info on crossing them if not. You certainly have a good sized boat to handle poor conditions.

Edited by JonD