Blackfish on the chew

Kracka

G'day all.

Felt like i should share a report rather than always mooching information from here.

Had the alarm set on Monday morning at 4am...woke up chirpy and ready for action by 3.45am.

Zipped on over to brave the chilly ocean water to collect 3 types of weed: stringy, cabbage and ribbon weed from a low platform at Manly. Burleyed up and started fishing at Woolwich by 520am. Even though it was still relatively dark i had my first down within 10 seconds on the first drift on cabbage bait. After a bit of hit and miss with the striking i landed my first blackie of the day. Absolute stonker went about 40cm and pulled like no tomorrow.

Rebaited up and the cabbage was never touched again...

Swapped over to stringy weed and the float steadily dives down. Waiting the longest 8 seconds of my life before striking...bam! onto him. Even bigger than the last. After a few rounds i thought he was ready to be netted then he took one last dive and the line clipped off at the trace!! Reckon 6lb Rovex FC doesnt do too well with half hitches...

Rerigged and back on in the first drift. Landed my second for the day. Followed by another the next cast making that 3 in the keeper bag.

Kept on fishing the next few hours with a few lost fish, 2 released and some tentative downs.

Home by 10am. All in all a very happy chap. Still a lot to learn.

Keen to test out a few other blackie spots. Might head down to Bradleys Head or Cremorne this coming weekend.

Rig: mainline 10lb braid with sliding quill float and ballasted barrel sinker to swivel, 60-70cm FC leader to #6 hook with half hotched weed.

Burley: Moist sand, stale bread, 3 x weed chopped finely. Used every 10 to 15mins.

P.s. Thank you to Royce (Luderick Angler) for his tips. Legend!

20180530_071353.jpg

20180530_101749.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 1:17 AM, Useless fisho said:

Nice report.

Dont put stale bread in the berly.

The bread can attract nuisance fish into the area and the luderick can tune into feeding on the bread.and not touch your weed baits.

Thanks mate. Ill keep the bread burley for the drummer from the rocks. Thanks for the tip.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:31 AM, luderick59 said:

see how you go with a shorter trace about 35cm

Thanks mate, Ill give the shorter trace a crack. Will be heading out for a fish tomorrow. Keen to test out the results.