exploring new water

Using a combo of google earth and the stocking data from NSW fisheries found a promising little creek that should hold loads of brown trout. Brownies are a bit of a prize around the Dorrigo-Ebor area as there are only a few streams with decent populations of brown trout.

The weather turned it on with a beautiful 10 degrees and a breeze that made it feel like 5.

The creek was not what I expected instead of a flowing stream it was a series of overgrown swampy pools. Thinking there can't be any trout here had a cast under the bridge and straight up the biggest wild brown trout I've seen followed my lure right to my feet, atleast there were fish.

Hiked upstream casting the pools which was very difficult, most of the pools were only a couple of metres long and surrounded by shrubs.

P1030528.thumb.JPG.9024fe5a3292c241d1317401ec093dee.JPG

a view of the creek it's running up the right hand side of the photo

saw plenty of fish as a worked my way along mostly good sized fish too it was just near ipossible to get a decent cast in 

finally after many pools and frustrating follows and miss hits came up tight on a fish 

P1030526.thumb.JPG.ed59db9b308c896e4c7a146a482f1f32.JPG

a beautiful brownie 

P1030527.thumb.JPG.99f2a413b367db697d03dcaa7218d57f.JPG

the picture doesn't quite show how densely overgrown this pool was the fish came out of

had a couple more follows but no more fish landed 

next season I'll head to the creek again with either lightly weighted soft plastics or bait which I think will suit the creek better 

cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 7

Trout fishing in streams like that is the best way.

I have a friend with trout streams (all rainbows that I have caught) through his property, in the top of the Brindabella ranges. Nothing better than going on an exploration mission and catching a fish too. 

47 minutes ago, savit said:

Beautiful fish, not like ugly flatties :)

What lures (HB/SP) did you use?

caught the fish on a ecogear sx40, my other trout lures are blackmagic bmax, rapala tennesse shad and strikepro baby archback

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

caught the fish on a ecogear sx40, my other trout lures are blackmagic bmax, rapala tennesse shad and strikepro baby archback

Thank you.

• Like 1

Top stuff dirvin 

And some nice photos to 

Gonna go for some trout soon myself only ever used tassie devils might mix it up a bit and try some of the ones you mentioned up

Cheers

Damn just read the trout closure starts on the 13th of June ?

Time to put the rod down I think and pick up the bow 

Edited by Omally
  • Like 1

You had a great success out of trying circumstances so well done on that.

Those look so cool & remind me of my days of working in the NSW ski fields.

You will quite often fund large trout of different species on the down side of bridge footings & in multiples,  behaving a bit like Mulloway or even Barra in waiting for something to come past.

Love the Tassie devil but not in those kind of streams.

Used to dabble with the fly as well but once again, its all abut the accessibility,

I'm sure you just enjoyed being out in the country?

It could be worse

• Like 1

Awesome little adventure it looks like mate and the fish would've been rewarding considering the country. I highly recommend getting a small rod you can use in the really tight stuff like that creek, I have one I use in the tightest of creeks when land based for bass and its great can get a cast in where everything else cannot. My rod is a silstar diamonds series SD 482spul, 1.42M, lure weight 3-7gm.

• Like 1