UV glow squid jigs

nutsaboutfishing

Hi Richard,

You are correct but the ones I use usually glow green. They can even be charged with just a normal torch or light but charging them with a UV torch seems to charge them up quicker (say 15-30 seconds). I usually re-charge mine every time they are retrieved but I find the longer the fishing session with re-charges the longer they seem to hold their charge each time.

On a side note some squid jigs will only have a few key parts which glow. On other jigs the whole body can glow. I prefer the later so chheck it in the store before you put the money down.

Regards,

Derek

I think that green glow that you see that charges up with the light and even better with a UV torch is lumo material. The UV glow they will be talking about will be colours or materials that reflect UV light. If you shine one of those UV torches on one of those UV glow squid jigs, like the keimura style ones you will be able to see colours and patterns that you cannot see under normal light. I think the theory is that the UV light penetrates further into the water column (less effected by diffraction due to shorter wavelength) so it will still reach and reflect off the squid jig for the squid to see it (we assume that the fish and squid can easily see and like the UV light because we think the colours and technology look cool). I don't know what they can actually see or think but i do use them and they do catch squid.

If you watch a video on it or look at some pictures you will see what i mean. Pakula uses this technology in some of his lures too and has some good pictures of UV stuff.

6 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I think that green glow that you see that charges up with the light and even better with a UV torch is lumo material. The UV glow they will be talking about will be colours or materials that reflect UV light. If you shine one of those UV torches on one of those UV glow squid jigs, like the keimura style ones you will be able to see colours and patterns that you cannot see under normal light. I think the theory is that the UV light penetrates further into the water column (less effected by diffraction due to shorter wavelength) so it will still reach and reflect off the squid jig for the squid to see it (we assume that the fish and squid can easily see and like the UV light because we think the colours and technology look cool). I don't know what they can actually see or think but i do use them and they do catch squid.

If you watch a video on it or look at some pictures you will see what i mean. Pakula uses this technology in some of his lures too and has some good pictures of UV stuff.

That makes sense, for some reason I was under the impression that the glowed UV like lumo beads glow visible light.

29 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

That makes sense, for some reason I was under the impression that the glowed UV like lumo beads glow visible light.

They might hold some form of luminosity like the lumo beads but it's not visible to me. I can only see it reflect the UV when I shine a UV light on it.