middle harbour

macbook

Hi all

I haven't been fishing in ages so I didn't care what the weather was doing as long as the wind was down I was going fishing. Since I haven't been out in ages I didn't know what to expect. Headed out at 7 am from tunks in the kayak and worked my way from bay to bay fishing the drop off from the flats. Was targeting flathead, fishing 3-4 inch zman plastics. Started out slow with only a few choppers caught then the rain came down and I got a few pinkies. It was now about 10 am with the rain was well and truly coming down and the fish seemed to go off the bite even the choppers which I was getting a bite from every 3rd-4th cast. Continued fishing in the rain and with nothing to show for it I decided to call it quits by 1 pm with only 3 tailor, biggest was around 30cm and a couple pinkies no bigger then 20cm. anyone got any tips for winter flathead in the harbour?? I normally get a couple but it just seemed dead today. Will be heading out hopefully tomorrow and Monday with better results. Still had a good time as it has been so long but a bad days fishing still beats a good day at school. 

cheers mac

• Like 1

Thanks for the report.

I have been wondering if the Harbour is clean enough for a fishing trip or whether it is more like chocolate milk after this rain.  If you got tailor then I'm guessing it's not too bad.

Regarding the flathead, I usually get a few between Grotto Point and The rudie Nudie beach but they do seem to come and go a fair bit.  Sometimes I will get a feed of them and flounder other times zilch.  I have never caught a flathead further in towards the main part of Balmoral.  Hope this helps.

41 minutes ago, iconnolly said:

If you got tailor then I'm guessing it's not too bad.

I'm not too sure about that one. I've been catching some big tailor in blackwattle bay over the last couple of wet rainy days, and we all know it's not the cleanest waterway in Australia. From what I've seen the water has been pretty filthy in Sydney Harbour, not sure about middle harbour but it's certainly not a good sign.

Hey at least you got some action, right? Beats zip all.

If youre after flatties try around forty baskets beach on the start of the run out tide. Around 50m off the swimming nets there is a drop off amonst the moored boats. Ive scored a few 70cm+ flatties off there early or late in the day. Live poddies/yakkas/nippers will tempt the big ones as well as a soft plastic hopped along the bottom. If the water is murky id go a darker colour SP. Caught them in the past on pumpkinseed gulps. The trevs will get in amonst the action too. They can get quite big.

You can try around roseville bridge as well. Usually under the big overhead pipes or the drainage areas from the mangroves are a good place to start.

A bit further down to Bantry Bay as well can be a good spot too.

Fishing in winter i used to troll hard bodies with pretty good results. Big bream are a very welcome by catch too. Nowadays i use livies for flatties. Drifting tiny poddy mullet will wake up the big girls. You may get lucky with a nice jewie as well.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas for the responses.

Went out yesterday from tunks at 7am with higher hopes but only to get similar results. 2 bream one 34cm the other about 10cm and a chopper. Went up to sailors bay and also around sugarloaf but could not find a fish anywhere. finished at around 3pm

cheers mac