Blackfish

SickWolf

Nice catch on the lure savit. Yet to catch one on a HB. I have caught them on SPs - red worm and grubs as well as brown twin tails while fishing for flatties up at The Entrance before.

A bloke at Coffs Harbour once introduced me and swore by peas as a back up bait. Never believed him until now, OneMoreCast. Might give it a go.

SickWolf, try a few of the ocean pools around the northern beaches such as Avalon, Bilgowlah, Manly and CurlCurl. Theyre my go to for a few types of weed and its a reliable enough source. They will take cabbage weed inside the harbour as well. Just have to tune them in via your sand-weed burley.

In any scenario weed flys (as masterfisho has pointed out) can be a saving grace. Ebay has them for sale and they work well particularly if there have been big swells or a lot of rain thats knocked out weed everywhere or if the weed is too short to bait up properly. The key to them taking the fly with less hesitation is again, burley (in my experience anyway). So you will probably need some weed still. Theres 3 colours - light green, dark green and brown. Have caught them on all 3 colours.

Oh i forgot to mention....

Most importantly...make sure u are fishing where theyre feeding. Usually close to the bottom. Keep varying your depth until you start getting downs. Start from the bottom (your float will lay on its side, move it a little so it is upright). Adjust a foot more shallow with each few casts until you find out. If that doesnt work it may be time to change bait type or location...or even it may just be the time/tide. Its all part of the trouble shooting that comes with blackfishing.

Forgot to mention too...Ive caught them from the rocks on bread before while drummer fishing but never tried it in the harbour. Id assume theyll take a bread bait if you burley with it. Just keep in mind you will catch just about everything on bread. Yakkas, bream etc.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Still yet to try peas as there’s been a plentiful amount of weed down here lately.

Previously, when good weed was hard to source, I was doing well using weed flies with a little Dizzy weed scent added. The scent is fairly new to the market and definitely makes a big difference.

• Like 1

I think you need to find a source of weed.

It seems that burley is a good option when fishing enclosed waters so i would make some up with the weed you intend to use., throw a couple of handfuls into the water at the start and then a bit more every 10 to 15 minutes or so.

Try varying the depth of your rig and also a longer lighter leader can help with shy fish.

KB

• Like 1

Hi,

I live on the Central Coast of NSW. It may be a bit of a mission, but up here we have a street called Mullbong Road, (true). You'd have to think that somewhere along the shoreline thereabouts you could score some weed that would satisfy your needs. It's very close to the Rip Bridge and here's the Google Map:

KB

image.png

Edited by Koalaboi
Improve the message
  • Haha 1