Blackies around in good numbers

Kracka

G'day Raiders.

Crack of dawn i rocked up at Woolwich to strengthen my blackfishing some more - And oh boy were they hungry today.

First cast in and the float shoots down. After a bit of a lengthy fight, a whopping 43cm lud. - my best yet...couldnt be happier. Two more followed after this. I was on a roll.

Then something strange happened...my float stopped mid drift...4 or 5 seconds of just sitting motionless the float bolts down to the deep faster than a jet. Couldnt believe it. Stirked as usual but this where my heart really started to pound...whatever was on the end of the line was definitely NOT a blackie. This thing was a jet on steriods...my reel pumping out the drag as this fish screamed out to open water. With my spool running low (only had about 150 yards of 12lb braid on) i apply a little more drag and POP...the 8lb leader breaks at the knot. At least i got my float back. Other than a surgeonfish i cant think of anything that would take a weed bait. Maybe a foul hooked kingie.

Ended up hooking onto 6 other blackies after thaf but all managed to spit the hook prior to the net ?. Spewing over it!

Had lost count of the missed downs too. They became a bit finiky after the sun was well up.

All in all...a magnificent day. Very happy with a few fish for a feed and a lot more confidence in my blackfishing. Keen to try some new spots now.

Tight lines guys.

20180609_125932.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brett davis said:

Where can I get some weed would love to give them a try tomorrow.

any suggestions 

Went looking today around georges river.... nothing.. Think i might go yarra bay early but the tide will be up so don't know if ill have access to the weed at yarra bay...

Where do you think you're headed out tomorrow?

6 hours ago, brett davis said:

Where can I get some weed would love to give them a try tomorrow.

any suggestions 

Hey Brett, i always get mine from the ocean rocks or the ocean swimmig pools. Mona vale, curly, bilgowla, avalon, manly. They all have a relatively reliable supply of cabbage or string weed available. A good idea is to dedicate a day to drive around to likely places and search for bait collection spots during the day.

I always allocate an hour to two hours for weed collection prior to sunrise as when it rains for ages or the swell has been pounding for a week a lot of the weed gets knocked out for a while so you may have to search a few spots sometimes.

Stormwater drains or tidal creeks are a pretty good source of that slimy green weed too. E.g manly.

Parra river and georges river can be good at times just throw out a handline with a heavy sinker and drag it along the bottom...if youre not keen on the rocks.

I always carry some weed imitation flies that u can buy off ebay. Buy all 3 colours - dark green, bright green and brown. Its a good backup when the weed is scarce or very short. They work well. Just burley with sand and some weed and the blackies will take a fly if theyre on the chew. Key is burley either way. Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Well done mate that’s a great result. Sounds like you got pigged.

Thanks mate.

I thought that initially as i felt a powerful dive at the start but then it took out to open water. Never had a pig do that. They usually dive for the nearest cover and then wont budge. Plus it was woolwich. Havent heard of them that far up the system. Thats fishing i guess....its a lucky dip each outing. You never know what will happen.

3 hours ago, Pafisho08 said:

HI 

I have had the odd Bream take weed so may have been horse  ?

yeah true true. Might go back with some live prawns and see if there are some bif bream still lurking about ? might up the tackle a little ?