Vanders

Hi everyone,
Next weekend i'll be down in the central coast with the wife, all day Sunday and she'll be working, so I'll have the day spare to go... fishing!

I don't really know the area, and I'll be around the entrance area, and land based.
I'm guessing they'll maybe be blackfish, salmon, tailor, bream? Any tips?

Judging from google maps there's toowoon point etc, or the rockwall west of the bridge... but i'm really just guessing.
Thanks!

entrance.GIF

Hi Vanders,

It seems really quiet up here atm. The blackfish should be on the chew but nothing really doing there. After the big seas recently there's a lot of weed on the beaches too.

We've also had over 200mls of rain in the last week and maybe that might fire up the lakes...may even be some jewfish lurking near the mouth of the channel. The runout is pretty shallow despite the dredging so not much doing there.

Rockfishing might be the go if you're up for it.

KB

• Thanks 1

Hi,

The rocks south of the ocean baths at The Entrance offer a couple of spots as long as you have a low tide and very calm seas.

Just reading your post again: Toowoon Bay Point is only fishable on very low seas and mostly low tides. It's hard to get out to atm as the sand tombolo linking the point to the shore has been washed away by the big seas. You can pussyfoot out there in a couple of spots but everything: seas, wind, tide etc has to be just right. A hard spot to fish. Mostly shallow The deep water off the front is hard to access by casting as there is lots of reef in the way and no safe area to fish from.

Blackfish are supposedly caught in the shark hole gutter, an obvious gutter about 100m south of the Toowoon Bay Surf Club but I've never done any good there. The rock platform from there to Shelly Beach is OK to pussyfoot for bream, blackfish and drummer on a high tide as long as the swell is very light.

The platform between Blue Lagoon and Bateau Bay is ditto to the previous spot. Lots of potential for pussyfooting on the high tide for bram, drummer and blackfish but again, the swell needs to cooperate.

Bateau Bay rocks at the south end offers some decent water to fish as long as the tide is low and the seas and swell very small. Drummer and blackfish, groper, bream etc

Good luck.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Thanks 1

G'day Vanders.

I used to fish The Entrance pretty frequently last year. Havent been up in a while though so not too sure what its like now.

The flats around the Entrance does well in summer BUT the channel and flats formation shifts often enough over time (and hence where the fish are) so keep in mind posts over the past few years may not be advisable to take as gospel.

Anywhere theres rock or structure there should be blackfish about. That includes around the bridge pylons, jetties and wharves, over weed beds and ledges covered with weed. The south bank closest to the Entrance mouth is one spot that comes to mind on a rising tide. There is a rock ledge down from the car park there.

Also on the southern side but about 100m west of the bridge theres also blackfish...just past the old tackle shop.

The northern side, just west of the bridge is a narrow channel that also holds some blackfish.

If you want to brave the cold, you can wade around the middle at low or high tide and flick some soft platics or lightly weighted or unweighted bait around the channels in hope to wake some flathead up or snag some passing bream.

Again...not too sure what its like again atm due to rain and the sands shifting around so much.

As with all heavily fished spots...you may have to grab some live bait to tempt anything decent nowadays. Plenty of tackle shops around there to grab some.

My advice if fishing the Entrance is get there just before sunrise or an hour before sunset for best results and fish the tides (even better if they overlap). Fish live nippers or prawns if u can. Otherwise freshest u can get. SPs are good also.

KBs on the money. Good idea to tackle the stones, and the locations hes pointed out - swell and wind permitting. Can get pretty hairy quickly even on the best of days.

Drummer, blackfish and bream are all top targets off the stones atm.

Hope it helps u a little

Edited by Kracka
Added information
  • Thanks 1

The beach fishes well for Flathead, Bream, Salmon, Tailor, Jew and Sharks the two more so at night. If there is weed like mentioned it will be hard tho.

I usually fish Brisbane waters for Flathead and Bream and whiting if you are interested in going there ill give you more detail. There is Jewies getting round but im yet to get one

cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!
As i won't have much of a luxury for time of day, looks like I'll take a blackfish setup and hone my skills. I'm a beginner at it, so maybe the rocks/wall west of the bridge is my shot.
Thanks again, much appreciated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanders said:

Thanks everyone!
As i won't have much of a luxury for time of day, looks like I'll take a blackfish setup and hone my skills. I'm a beginner at it, so maybe the rocks/wall west of the bridge is my shot.
Thanks again, much appreciated!

Good luck?