Botany bay with BigNeil

frankS

I will start off by saying that since Thursday I have had the pleasure of Neil's company and he is a great bloke and a true gentleman, all buttering up aside, we headed to cooks ramp and got there well before daybreak, put the boat in and the drama started straight away, the auto choke on the motor didn't work and by over pumping and cranking the motor I flooded the bloody thing, well anyhow managed to use the manual choke and she fired up. Cruised slowly out to Yarra bay where I thought we should have a reasonable comfortable days fishing, not to be, there was a metre chop and the wind was at about 18 knots, OK if we had a deep draft boat but this Bass boat only sits about 10" above the water and to say the least it wasn't comfortable. we managed a couple of drifts and I picked up a small snapper which was returned.

I decided it might be a bit calmer up the river a bit but by the time we got to the other side of the shipping channel we were both saturated to the bone and we quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to happen so back to the ramp to thaw out and try to dry off.

Loaded the boat back on the trailer then headed to the north side of tom Uglys bridge so Neil could at least wet a line. stayed there a couple of hours without result and it was just too cold as we were still wet and uncomfortable. went home and dried off.

Frank

Well, boys, that didn't go to plan by the sound of it!

Both of you are pretty good blokes but wet cold and choppy will sour the occasion even with the best of company.

Better luck next trip Is there one of is Neil heading off soon?

Cheers

Jim

Lol I was fishing from shore at Yarra Bay with no result. I had moved there from Cape Banks since it was way to windy and swell was to high to fish for Luderick....

The considers where less then ideal for fishing on Saturday and Sunday...

Good on you for wanting to show the bloke around but you might have enjoyed a beer watching the water from Yarra bay sailing club more ? ?

If the forecast starts of by saying 15-20knt winds increasing during the day then I just stay home & do something else as I know I will not enjoy it in my 13ft tinny.

My last trip out was fantastic from 7am to 10am then it blew in, I went home fish less but had a great time going flat out in between spots.

Anyway unfortunate for you both but you cant change the weather.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Well, boys, that didn't go to plan by the sound of it!

Both of you are pretty good blokes but wet cold and choppy will sour the occasion even with the best of company.

Better luck next trip Is there one of is Neil heading off soon?

Cheers

Jim

Jim. Neil headed home early this morning. A decent sized boat and maybe it would have been ok in the bay but this bass boat is a flat water boat.

Frank

• Like 1

22 hours ago, connico said:

Lol I was fishing from shore at Yarra Bay with no result. I had moved there from Cape Banks since it was way to windy and swell was to high to fish for Luderick....

The considers where less then ideal for fishing on Saturday and Sunday...

I notice your location is Birrong, that's just around the corner from my place, maybe we should catch up for a chat and a possible fish together?.

Frank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankS said:

I notice your location is Birrong, that's just around the corner from my place, maybe we should catch up for a chat and a possible fish together?.

Frank

Yeah mate, I'd love a fishing buddy that's close. It gets lonely on the rocks, beach and hinterlands at times. Whilst I love the serenity its always better to share it with friends. Its also way easier to bring in large fish ?

The amount of time I've hooked a massive grouper, tuna, kingfish and couldn't land it because I didn't have a helping hand is frustrating. And since I'm risk adverse and prefer to let the creature go rather then prolonging its pain or taking unnecessary risk to land it. I've had to cut a fare few lines lol