Big Neil and Blackfish

Ryder

Hi Raiders,

l took Neil out last year to go for his first Blackfish, it ended in a big donut.

This time round I couldn't make it with the others Raiders on Friday so I offered Sunday.  Picked at Central and whisked him 5 minute away to the harbour.

Got the berley going, then sorted out the setups, depth and a refresher on baiting up... The fish were there from the start, definite signs of life, the floats just dipping and bobbing back up, same as last weekend, it wasn't going to be easy.

After a couple of misses Neil hooked up to a good fish, it tried to take him around structure, then back under the Wharf, but he played it to the net. Hi 5's, his first was in the bag. Must have been close to 40cm

The touches kept coming with no solid takes, then we were approached by a tall dark stranger. He asked if one of us was Big Neil. Enter fellow Raider Blackfish. I invited Gordon because I read he missed the boys on Friday at Cremorne and wanted to meet the big guy. 

After intros, I handed him my rig while I setup another. Who knew the man cut his teeth on Luderick, he added the next to the bag. I went for the Butterworth I just got restored hoping to Christen it.

The rain came down, the guys were getting wet when another stranger shows up with a couple of garbage bags for them to fashion into wet weather gear. It worked, we kept fishing, and finally added 1 to the bag. Good banter, shared fishing stories, FISHRAIDER!!!!

Gordon had to leave, Neil and I moved to another spot nearby when thing went took cold. It turned out they were colder in the new spot so we came back. We got a few more, and I think we called it with 9 or 10 in the bag. Neil has the photo .

Thanks for a fun session.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ryder said:

Hi Raiders,

l took Neil out last year to go for his first Blackfish, it ended in a big donut.

This time round I couldn't make it with the others Raiders on Friday so I offered Sunday.  Picked at Central and whisked him 5 minute away to the harbour.

Got the berley going, then sorted out the setups, depth and a refresher on baiting up... The fish were there from the start, definite signs of life, the floats just dipping and bobbing back up, same as last weekend, it wasn't going to be easy.

After a couple of misses Neil hooked up to a good fish, it tried to take him around structure, then back under the Wharf, but he played it to the net. Hi 5's, his first was in the bag. Must have been close to 40cm

The touches kept coming with no solid takes, then we were approached by a tall dark stranger. He asked if one of us was Big Neil. Enter fellow Raider Blackfish. I invited Gordon because I read he missed the boys on Friday at Cremorne and wanted to meet the big guy. 

After intros, I handed him my rig while I setup another. Who knew the man cut his teeth on Luderick, he added the next to the bag. I went for the Butterworth I just got restored hoping to Christen it.

The rain came down, the guys were getting wet when another stranger shows up with a couple of garbage bags for them to fashion into wet weather gear. It worked, we kept fishing, and finally added 1 to the bag. Good banter, shared fishing stories, FISHRAIDER!!!!

Gordon had to leave, Neil and I moved to another spot nearby when thing went took cold. It turned out they were colder in the new spot so we came back. We got a few more, and I think we called it with 9 or 10 in the bag. Neil has the photo .

Thanks for a fun session.

Hey Ryder, absolute FUN, FUN, FUN. Certainly a good level of skill, knowledge and finesse in the art of Luderick fishing. Can't wait to try it again. Many thanks for taking me out and teaching me how it's done...I HAD A BALL. Till next time??? bn

I don't think I would  describe Gordon as tall and dark,  more tall and mysterious. The mystery unfolds after several late night drinks.  Yes he knows how to fish I learnt a lot from fishing with him. 

Glad Neil got some black fish. 

Bruce 

• Like 1