The trip away... a summary (part one)

big Neil

Hi Raiders. Seems like I've been away from home for months, not weeks. So much to relate.

VANUATU. If you want to meet the absolute friendliest, happiest people on the planet...this is where they live. Only 290,000 population all up, they are happy with what they have. No road rage, smiles and pleasantries are the go in this idyllic place only 3 hrs flight from Sydney. Might as well be on another planet. I wasn't able to arrange any fishing for myself over there, but it will be on the agenda next time I go there. I spent a bit over 2 weeks there learning a bit about their lives, from the locals. The roads are something to be seen, even worse than the bush tracks where I live. Well worth a visit.   

SYDNEY Thursday. Very lucky that Frank had the foresight to check the airline schedule as my flight was delayed 5 hours. He and Waza picked me up from arrivals and we headed to Berala. Waza showed us some of the fishing gear which he makes... (rods and soft plastics) and he also had this old rusty aeroplane spinner. I've heard a lot of my old Murray Cod mates talking about these lures, but I'd never seen one. Back at Frank's place we were met by Fragmeister and we chatted about where he used to fish for the green monsters, in the upper reaches of the Murrumbidgee River. I was particularly interested in the other hobby which Jim has, landscape painting. Self-taught, he's bloody good at it!  Missed Ojay and Nat but will hopefully get to meet them next time. Already I was very impressed with the level of commitment applied to their "other hobbies". Plans were made for the next days outing at Cremorne.

20180608_041740rs.thumb.jpg.87fc11d935cac1a9044350ff1bea7d39.jpg

SYDNEY Friday. The plan was to try to catch some John Dory, but firstly to catch some small live baits. Waza took care of that and we ended up with 3 separate John Dory rigs put out. Alas the JD were a no-show but a very persistent cormorant succeeded in robbing us of the live baits. Derek D gave me some invaluable tips about squid fishing which I hope to put to good use when I eventually manage to fish for Kingies with the squid as live bait. Great conversations happening with everyone. You guys certainly know what you're doing when fishing for your particular targetted species. We also tried to entice a Kingie to the Cuttlefish which Derek put out under a balloon, but it was a mere spectator, like us. Suffice to say that no matter how much skill, knowledge, guile, experience...if the fish don't show up, it's gonna be tough. As we all know the reward from fishing can be in the effort made, rather than the number of fish caught. The effort was definitely not lacking. It was great to catch up with you all, I learned a lot about YOUR bread and butter fishing. We decided to pull stumps at lunchtime. Sincere thanks from me to you all. A great morning on a beautiful harbour with top people...LIFE IS GOOD.

20180608_065727rs.thumb.jpg.6e9db7fab468584e9fd6d3e818aa59bc.jpg

20180608_083229rs.thumb.jpg.f72c4802bb5d63e24c205ba53c336b0b.jpg

SYDNEY Saturday. A non - event with me being up all Friday night with vomiting and diarrhoea. I spent the entire time in bed trying to get well enough for Sunday.

...to be continued...                                         bn