big Neil

The trip away... a summary (part two)

Recommended Posts

Sorry about putting the post on like this guys but It's taken me about 3 hours to finally get that bit on. The post kept losing large chunks of the content and I decided to post what I had before losing that too.

part two

SYDNEY Sunday. I caught the train into Central where I was surprised to find an old steam train being made ready for excited people to experience. Couldn't resist a few shots. 

20180610_083800rs.thumb.jpg.45c7606ca38cc795b5b7db69c9915ee9.jpg

I met up with Ryder and we headed around the corner to do some fishing. The weather forecast was for "slight possibility of a light shower". WRONG! I didn't bother to bring my wet weather gear because I didn't think it would be needed. After a quick refresher on how to apply the bait and setting the depth to fish at, we started fishing. I grew up on float fishing in the UK and have always loved it as a form of angling. Of course, the rig for Luderick fishing is quite specific, it needs to be. I had the first fish on while Andrew was still tackling up and it was a real buzz to play it on the long flexible rod. Very happy to break the duck and catch my first Luderick. The rain persisted and we were joined by Blackfish. Ryder dropped quite a few good fish right at the net. The fish were now in real trouble with two aces and a very keen learner chasing them. Blackfish caught a few and the occasional passerby watched when we had a fish on. Ryder was well prepared for the wet weather but Blackfish and I had got soaked to the skin when this little old Asian lady appeared from nowhere with 2 large garbage bags. I could have hugged her but she would have ended up soaked also. I quickly fashioned mine into a copy of the latest Saville Row wet weather gear and we were back into it. The fish were a bit timid in their bites but we still managed to get a few, Ryder getting on a roll half way through the first half. Blackfish had to leave and we kept going despite the drizzle. Ended up with 8 decent sized Luderick which was generously donated to me and subsequently Frank. It was a great day. I learned a great deal and would hope to do it again when the opportunity presents. Sincere thanks Andrew and Gordon, it was brilliant spending time with you, doing what you do. On that note, if either of you or any of the others who I caught up with fancy catching Murray Cod...just let me know.

20180610_150900rs.thumb.jpg.2e091abe9e0963a700eadc0e97457df9.jpg

BOTANY BAY Monday. Frank and I had suffered an aborted mission at Burrinjuck late last year and had promised that we would get out together again...SOMEWHERE. This was it but once again the weather was seriously against us. We launched before first light and headed out into the bay to find strong winds and fairly choppy seas. The BASS BOAT was no deterrent to the waves splashing over and with the strong wind we got absolutely drenched. You know what they say about "Pommies" and the frequency of their showering... well I won't need a shower till 2019. Frank caught a small Snapper, me NOTHING. I was quite glad to get back to the boat ramp at Kyeemagh to thaw out a bit. 

20180611_100158rs.thumb.jpg.5025d7357ca231c2ae75137fc7af5faf.jpg

I have had a great time and learned a heck of a lot during this trip. I still have a bucket list longer than my short arms and would hope to come back to the "big smoke" to further my fishing knowledge and experiences. SINCERE THANKS to everyone that I met. I am (and always have been) hopeless with names. You have all enriched my life experience, for which I am very grateful. Cheers from bn

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome read!! Luderick fishing is similar to coarse fishing for carp right?? :P I've fished for both and whilst the equipment is the same the rigs a little different :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That steam train reminds me of when I was 16 years old standing on Lidcombe station early winters mornings and one would come through and steam up the platform.

It was good that you met a few raiders and had a fish with a few, plenty of good chatting and a bit of learning.

I don't think it will be the last time I fish with Waza as I enjoyed his company and even at my age and experience there is a few things that I could learn from him and perhaps visa versa.

Frank

PS Wish it was half that calm out in the bay as what it looks at the ramp.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had a great time meeting everyone and look forward to seeing you all again. Pity we couldn't find a John Dory just to show everyone, but that's fishing sometimes. Hope you get a nice big cod on the aeroplane spinner Neil, your knowledge of the big green fish is impressive and Frank I really enjoyed reminiscing about kings, tuna, hairies etc, you also have much knowledge to share and I look forward to another fish with you also.  Derek, Michael and Andrew we will have to also catch up for a fish as you guys are top blokes as well, and have developed great harbour skills. It was also nice to meet Jim, Ojay and Nat at Franks and thanks also to Frank and his lovely wife Val for inviting us all to their place for the bbq. It's great fun being a Raider. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

P.S  I hope you guys catch some fish on my 'odd' shaped lures!

Will certainly try the plastics on my spinnerbaits Waza. I left the aeroplane spinner at Franks, didn't realise it was for me to take. Told one of my old Cod mates that I'd seen one recently and he was telling me how good they were. Great to catch up with you and thank you for your generosity. I'll look forward to seeing you and Franks post catching JD. Will see you again on my next trip, when it's a bit warmer. bn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

P.S  I hope you guys catch some fish on my 'odd' shaped lures!

I will be putting them to good use as soon as I get the chance.

Speaking of the homemade lures Wazza was handing out ( and the bomb Frank generously gave me ) when I got home my two daughters (15 and 30) were surprised to find out that I had gone "socializing" ... They know that Dad doesn't have much time for that with a business to run so they were joking that I must have really been out with a "Lady Friend" 

I pulled out Wazza Lures and Franks bomb and said

"Yeah right! - a lady friend, that's why I am coming home with soft plastics and a downrigger bomb to which they replied

Oh !..a Lady Friend that's into fishing eh? Nice One!"

Cheers

 

Jim

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Neil,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Waza (and Frank, Savit, etc) and like most good things in life it was way too short. I'm looking forward to your next trip up and really hope you can make it in the summer months when the big schools of pelagics move into the harbour. Hooking them on light gear and hearing the drag screaming still has not lost its addiction for me even after all these years.

I think Michael and I would be keen to head down your direction in the future to try for some of these not so little Murray cod you were telling us about.

Regards,

Derek

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Will certainly try the plastics on my spinnerbaits Waza. I left the aeroplane spinner at Franks, didn't realise it was for me to take. Told one of my old Cod mates that I'd seen one recently and he was telling me how good they were. Great to catch up with you and thank you for your generosity. I'll look forward to seeing you and Franks post catching JD. Will see you again on my next trip, when it's a bit warmer. bn

Hi Neil yes the Aeroplane was for you- you're the only cod fisherman I know so I thought it was appropriate you should have one, I've got another couple in the collection. Glad you enjoyed your time in Sydney and happy fishing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Neil,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Waza (and Frank, Savit, etc) and like most good things in life it was way too short. I'm looking forward to your next trip up and really hope you can make it in the summer months when the big schools of pelagics move into the harbour. Hooking them on light gear and hearing the drag screaming still has not lost its addiction for me even after all these years.

I think Michael and I would be keen to head down your direction in the future to try for some of these not so little Murray cod you were telling us about.

Regards,

Derek

G'day there Derek. Just let me know if you ever intend coming down here for a fish. It's really not that far 530kms. I'd love to come back to Sydney sometime during the Murray Cod closed season Sept 1st to Nov 30th. Would that time slot be any good for catching live bait and Kingfish? Great to meet you guys, you certainly are a wealth of knowledge. Cheers, bn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, big Neil said:

I'd love to come back to Sydney sometime during the Murray Cod closed season Sept 1st to Nov 30th. Would that time slot be any good for catching live bait and Kingfish? Great to meet you guys, you certainly are a wealth of knowledge. Cheers, bn

Hi Neil,

In the past depending on weather, currents and a pinch of fairy dust I find the schools of pelagics (well the kings) start to move into the harbour in numbers between mid-October and mid-November and then stay across the Summer. The salmon are usually there in numbers a little earlier.

If this season starts as I have seen in the past (last year was horrible for me in main harbour) then would suggest you aim to get back up here mid to late November. At that time of year they are hungry and not exactly lure/hook shy. Rat (undersized) kings are a lot of fun on the lighter gear.

Regards,

Derek

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Neil yes the Aeroplane was for you- you're the only cod fisherman I know so I thought it was appropriate you should have one, I've got another couple in the collection. Glad you enjoyed your time in Sydney and happy fishing

Waza. I will send the lure down to Neil with other items I am making for him, couple of days.

Frank

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, frankS said:

Waza. I will send the lure down to Neil with other items I am making for him, couple of days.

Frank

Thanks mate! Neil can put a photo of it hanging off a cod's jaw! Regards Waza

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you had a good time neil  sounds like the raider welcome mat was truly extended  good onya boys...rick

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great read BN, never realised you were also a Pom. I grew up on the Isle Of Wight ( small version of Aus !!). You've given me the idea to keep a few bin bags onboard from now on for those who never bring their own waterproofs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonD said:

Great read BN, never realised you were also a Pom. I grew up on the Isle Of Wight ( small version of Aus !!). You've given me the idea to keep a few bin bags onboard from now on for those who never bring their own waterproofs.

 

My Dad was born on the Isle of Wight! His parents were from Portsmouth. Play up Pompey!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JonD said:

Great read BN, never realised you were also a Pom. I grew up on the Isle Of Wight ( small version of Aus !!). You've given me the idea to keep a few bin bags onboard from now on for those who never bring their own waterproofs.

 

I can send you the pattern for the Saville Row alteration package if you need it Jon. Sounds like a good idea... another thing which I learned was DO NOT BELIEVE THE WEATHER FORECAST. haha, bn

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 5:48 PM, big Neil said:

I can send you the pattern for the Saville Row alteration package if you need it Jon. Sounds like a good idea... another thing which I learned was DO NOT BELIEVE THE WEATHER FORECAST. haha, bn

Forcast today was pretty bad, arrived at the ramp at 9am with no other trailer or car anywhere in sight. Headed 25km north and 6km out for flat glassy conditions, even marine rescue workers once again advised us not to go out.

Anpther day of strong westerly tomorrow, so another close to shore trip planned ( hopefully snorkelling with dolphins ).

I used to find the forecast and poor weather pretty frustrating but since owning the little rib, poor conditions just add to the fun, gone from 50hrs per year to 300+.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      62,720
    • Total Posts
      498,450