Long weekend at Forster

Noldty

So just spent the long weekend up at Forster. Arrived Friday and left Tuesday, so managed to get a fair bit of fishing in. I arrived Friday and the plan was to chase some bream off the break wall. Went to the red spot and brought a few whole fresh mullet. Headed down around 5pm with the turn of the tide around 6pm. So decided to would also chuck out a bigger slab in case a Jew case around.  Was not to confident in the jewfish since in 12 years I have never got a Jew off the break wall and when ever I use bait I normally just get rays or sharked. Anyway put the bait out and started to play with my light surf rod. In the corner of my eye I saw my other rod get two big hits and the drag went. Straight away I thought shark. Picked up the rod and set the hook and there were big head shakes. Everything up to here felt like the typical shark fight that I have had plenty of times. More head shakes and was I thinking to myself it’s just a matter of time before I get bit off. Then everything changed. The fish was nearly to the breakwall and I saw a big silver flash. Knowing exactly what it was now the heart was pumping. There was a little bit of panic thinking to myself how was I going to gaff it by myself. I got it to the surface and there it was with my heart still racing. Lucky there was a little gap in the rocks and was able to guide it into the area. After about 5 attempts of gaffing it and thinking each time I stuffed it I landed it. 12 years of going up to forster for holidays fishing for jewfish and the hours put in I was rewarded. Not the biggest. It went 78cm. After that it the rain started and thought I had my Jew so decided to call it a night  

146538DC-7F68-4D02-8EE6-881684923529.jpeg.55839ad65376df439c0b6ebbc33c2704.jpeg

The next morning I decided to fish the breakwall on the Tuncurry side fishing towards the beach for some tailor. Unfortunately there was no swell and no wash around and the tailor we’re not around. I ended up just getting the typical rubbish fish. Shovelnose sharks, banjo sharks and stingrays. So not much happened.

On the Sunday I decided to try for some flathead. With it being winter and cold I New it would hard work to catch some flathead. I walked the shoreline from the park next to repspot ( for those that know the area) around the wharf to under the bridge and in the marina. I knew it would not be easy so I used light gear, 3lb main and 6lb leader and really slowed down my retrieves. So covered the area in about 3 hours and manged two flathead around the 40cm mark. The rest of the day the rain was on and off so tried to stay out of the rain.

3B8747F3-98AC-4439-8499-D1972250A7CF.jpeg.40cb3fdf48da74de113d686246fb6d95.jpeg

Monday morning the weather looked alright so I decided to try and tick off another goal. I have never caught a jewfish on a plastic and that has always been the goal off the breakwall for me. With the top of tide around 8am I got to the breakwall around 6:30. Again I decided to fish light. I was using 20lb main with 30lb leader. I was thinking that might be to light with all the rocks around but went with it. Rigged up and got to the bottom of the wall. There were already a few boats drifting the walls with live baits and lures. I started to throw around the plastic and after about 30min I got a big whack and the rod buckled over but as quick as that happened it was over. Worked the lure the rest of the way in thinking what ever it would follow it. With having the hit I was excited because that was a start. I casted out again and this time again bang. Only difference this time it stuck and the line screamed off the reel. The fish took a big run and I wanna able to turn it and had it coming in nicely. Now and then it would try to run but nothing to big. Got it near the wall and saw the flash and again the heart was pumping.  The fish decided to take on more run straight down to the rocks and straight away I thought the worse. I managed to turn it again and got it to the top. I wa able to net it and I had finally done it. I got a jew on a soft plastic. This Jew was bigger measured it on went 101cm. So I had finally caught a Jew on a plastic and I hit the magic meter mark. 

2F35E593-5759-430C-B5D4-0286D99534B7.jpeg.ac5ff8a2c0fac01a4d2637370275a221.jpeg

4704AB41-23C0-481D-8745-C1061E269058.jpeg.92bf4420d6719cad5aea11105ff91128.jpeg

After that I was happy with the trip and did not do anymore fishing. The long weekend turned out to be the best fishing weekend I have had. Just glad I decided to go up to my little holiday van. I normally just stay in Sydney and fish for hairtail this long weekend but decided to mix it up and it was worth it  

Regards,

Noldty 

• Like 15

I’d be stoked to have a weekend like that.   Awesome.

If I was there I would of been tempted to try Sandbar beach at Smith Lake as they opened up the lake towards the end of last week. 

Edited by Welster