Blackfish Weed & Cabbage Weed

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

All this talk of blackfish has motivated me to go find my blackfishing gear buried at the back of the shed somewhere.

It's been a while but I remember the spots well and I may give it a go if I find myself near one of those locations when I am out and about.

I fished the rocks off Maroubra and the famous Bondi Murk with cabbage week many years ago and in relatively recent history I would fish the Woronora River using green weed.

But what I have noticed in recent years is that there doesn't appear to be much if any green weed in  Canada Bay anymore which is where I would collect from in the past. Nor do I see any for sale in the bait and tackle stores...at least around my neck of the woods.

I don't like asking for specific locations particularly if it rare at the moment... but like I said I have not fished for blackfish really since we called them something you cant call them anymore! 

So if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

Cheers

Jim

G'day Jim.

I cant really help with the spot you mentioned specifically unfortunately...but the same principle will apply in general.

I usually struggle to find weed in the harbour. I can find some but not usually enough for decent burley and bait as its never good to collect everything...best to allow it to regenerate for future and other fishos - generally around oyster encrusted rocks, jetties and pylons tend to grow some weed inside the harbour.

So i usually head around the northern beaches to collect my weed. Any headland will hold at least one or two types of weed and enough of it for a solid session.

Manly, avalon, bilgowlah are some to name a few. The rockpools, rocks off the beaches at low tide and the ocean swim pools are good places to look.

Harbour blackies dont seem to mind cabbage at all...particularly around middle harbour. And theres usually string or bubble weed you can collect in the same area as the cabbage as a back up.

Hope that helps. Good luck mate

You can always try weed flies. I got a couple on them in one session last year and reports from my local tackle store recently said that guys have been catching their bag limit on them. I picked up a few more flies today. I’ve used them under a float on my traditional blackfish rod but I might try them on the fly rod this season, if conditions are right.

Edited by Berleyguts

Just now, Berleyguts said:

You can always try weed flies. I got a couple on them in one session last year and reports from my local tackle store recently said that guys have been catching their bag limit on them. I picked up a few more flies today. I’ve used them under a float on my traditional blackfish rod but I might try them in the fly rod this season, if conditions are right.

Have to agree weed fly when you can not fine weed is the way to go

1 minute ago, masterfisho7 said:

Have to agree weed fly when you can not fine weed is the way to go

And there’s the added advantage of no need to keep rebaiting so you have a bait (artificial) in the water for more time.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, Kracka said:

G'day Jim.

I cant really help with the spot you mentioned specifically unfortunately...but the same principle will apply in general.

I usually struggle to find weed in the harbour. I can find some but not usually enough for decent burley and bait as its never good to collect everything...best to allow it to regenerate for future and other fishos - generally around oyster encrusted rocks, jetties and pylons tend to grow some weed inside the harbour.

So i usually head around the northern beaches to collect my weed. Any headland will hold at least one or two types of weed and enough of it for a solid session.

Manly, avalon, bilgowlah are some to name a few. The rockpools, rocks off the beaches at low tide and the ocean swim pools are good places to look.

Harbour blackies dont seem to mind cabbage at all...particularly around middle harbour. And theres usually string or bubble weed you can collect in the same area as the cabbage as a back up.

Hope that helps. Good luck mate

Thanks buddy 

On 6/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, Pafisho08 said:

Hi JIM

Check your message Pm

Bob

Will do and thanks for the info!

On 6/15/2018 at 6:37 PM, blaxland said:

I was out with a guide a while ago and some of the older mooring buoys hold weed if you are in a fix 

Yes, I have noticed weed around some of the markers.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:03 PM, Berleyguts said:

You can always try weed flies. I got a couple on them in one session last year and reports from my local tackle store recently said that guys have been catching their bag limit on them. I picked up a few more flies today. I’ve used them under a float on my traditional blackfish rod but I might try them on the fly rod this season, if conditions are right.

I have thought of that but what if you need to burley them up?

Cheers and thanks

Jim

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

I have thought of that but what if you need to burley them up?

Just throw some sand in. You’ll be surprised! Also, I admit if there’s other fishos there, I’ll try and fish downstream of them and use their berley! ?

• Like 2

Just now, Berleyguts said:

Just throw some sand in. You’ll be surprised! Also, I admit if there’s other fishos there, I’ll try and fish downstream of them and use their berley! ?

Haha make use of another fishos burley. Cheeky but effective ?

On 6/16/2018 at 11:00 PM, connico said:

Monavale Pool and the surrounds has weed right now mate. Its a pretty reliable spot if you're in the area. You can fish off the rocks surrounding the pool as well :P

Thanks for the tip!

34 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

That's cheeky alright but I like it!

If you think about it, if you head down to just about any luderick spot, you’ll find anglers lined up, all berleying. One more person fishing amongst them, without berley, is hardly going to make a difference. I took a walk along the Nelson Bay breakwall this morning. There was a lot of luderick anglers there. Some were using berley, some weren’t. All seemed to be getting luderick. The ones that weren’t were fishing for bream and getting them, good ones at that and one bloke got a decent snapper that gave him a run for his money on his light bream gear! It took him into the rocks a couple of times but he gave it some slack and it swam free but not after he had to walk about 30 feet along the wall.  I helped him out by passing his net to him. Nice fishing along the breakwall today!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know any good canals in the Western Sydney area that should hold weed? I've been going to Powell's creek but the traffic in and our due to DFO is killing me... need another spot that's not to hard to get in and park lol

On 7/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, connico said:

Does anyone know any good canals in the Western Sydney area that should hold weed? I've been going to Powell's creek but the traffic in and our due to DFO is killing me... need another spot that's not to hard to get in and park lol

On 7/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, connico said:

Usually parra river will have some but u will have to throw in a handline with a snapper sinker and drag it along the bottom in a few areas. Can pay off sometimes but haven't done that in a while so not sure how it is now. 

Most outings I'll set the alarm at about 330am (to beat the traffic) and head to the northern beaches to collect a few types of weed from the rocks/swimming baths. Usually around monavale,  curl curl,  Avalon have a pretty reliable supply.  Good thing is there's cungie too which Ive snagged a few large bream and blackies on in the harbour while it was still dark. Black fish inside the harbour (and I'm talking up around lane cove)  have no problem downing a nicely presented cabbage bait. Oddly enough... I seem to snag quite a few ocean black fish up that way.  You can tell from the lighter appearance (and more purple on them)  in contrast to the darker blackfish that dwell inside the harbour.

It's a lot of extra miles but pays off when the weed in the harbour is hard to find. 

An outing a few weeks ago I had some of that hairy greed weed left over and accidentally brought it home. Chucked it into my freshwater shrimp tank and the stuff grew like crazy! I used that same weed a few days ago andnailed a few thumper blackies on the stuff (sorry no pics unfortunately).  Might be good to try growing it at home. 

I've tried growing cabbage in a saltwater aquarium before but it hasn't grown well but the stringy weed however will grow but you really have to ramp up the lighting.

The hairy weed stuff that I got from the ocean rocks is though... Growing well in fresh water. Who knew... And catches fish.