Removing black gut lining

Kracka

Gday Raiders.

Was hoping to get some tips for removing the black gut lining found in fish such as luderick and black drummer as it taints the flesh.

I usually fillet and skin them as ive struggled to remove it (have tried peeling it off much like deskinning a leatherjacket, and using a sharp knife to slive it off but to no avail). Reason why i ask is my preferred cooking method is cooking whole either crispy skin chinese style or En papillote (french steamed) and the black lining does make a big difference to the taste.

Any removal tips im all ears.

Thanks in advance ?

In the meamtime...light tempura lol.

Hi Kraka;

Use one of those nylon pot scourers you buy at the supermarket.

Also very good to take the silver off hairtail.

Make sure though you use a brush ( old toothbrush is ideal ) to remove the blood from along the backbone.

If the drummer and blackfish have been feeding on brown weed failing to do this can result in the fish tasting bloody awful!!:05:

Cheers.

Roger.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Roger. Much appreciated.

I usually slice and then run the top of my thumbnail along the backbone to remove the blood. I'll give the toothbrush a go as well... its a much cleaner method B)

Agree with the skin...especially once its cripy *salivates*.

Ive found its definitely not unplesant if you leave it in for dishes with strong flavours such as a curry but anything with subtle flavours...particularly steamed or dishes with simple flavours...that flavour can become a bit distracting in the flesh.

Next time i catch i few fresh ones ill try one with the black lining and without to compare.

2 hours ago, Kracka said:

Thanks for that Roger. Much appreciated.

I usually slice and then run the top of my thumbnail along the backbone to remove the blood. I'll give the toothbrush a go as well... its a much cleaner method B)

This is the way I do it for the blackfish