fish finder advice

pure spirit

Hi Guys

Looking for advice on which fish finder gps etc to get looking to upgrade from a lowrance 5inch I've had for about 6-7 year now think its an elite. got a budget of about $1200-1500.   Will be rear mounted on a 6m quinny if that make a difference to recommendations.

Do a wide range of fishing ( from inside, out side reefs,  to game fishing and wide to browns) would like something that can reach deep when at browns - don't need to id fish at that depth but would like to get depth reading etc.  But my main thing would be fish id in 20-50m in locations like long reef etc

Simple to use is good cause I know I will not read the instructions !!

thanks in advanced.

I've been more than happy with Lowrance units over many years so highly recommend them. I currently use a hds gen 3 12ins screen, there are quite a few gen 3 models discounted since the carbon came out. The power and transducer will most likely be the same meaning less work. The bigger screen you can afford the better, there may also be some good deals around during the Sydney boat show.

6 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

my mate bought   touch screen  bad move  don't like working with wet fingers like fones  stick with lowrance  my hds5 works at browns  get bigger hds..rick

I've had no problem with my Lowrance touch screen in my little centre console, even in the rain I have no probs. A one button press turns the unit into a button only operation, not that I've ever used the button only function. I also pick up bottom at depths just over 300m on 200khz and around 600m on 50khz, from a Lowrance 200/50 $200 transducer. I did purchase an airmar tm 260 which was to temperamental at holding bottom ( maybe due to The narrower beam), now sold on eBay.