First cod

Hey guys headed up Tamworth on the weekend for the day chasing cod and started fishing the peel River behind the sports fields with not much luck so I Started off throwing surface lures hoping to get one off the surface with no luck the changed to spinnerbaits and hardbodies with no luck then headed out of town abit to a mates property and fished the snags hard with spinnerbaits with no luck and I was starting to loose faith and changed to a tn 60 and landed my first cod then I got another on the tn60 then no more but was great to get my first cod. 

Would you guys have any tips on chasing cod off the surface as I love surface fishing.

cheers kingyJohn 

C9D6AA76-6BD9-4094-A372-BEE79A5FE6D1.jpeg

80909C1A-FBCF-44EA-86B5-4B9936F7096C.jpeg

• Like 3

Low light periods are best for surface lure Cod action. The Cod are less nervous about leaving cover in search of food at these times. Variety is the clue to getting them on surface lures. Vary the retrieve and don't be afraid to stop the retrieve for prolonged periods. Apply an occasional twitch to the surface lure to imitate a sick or wounded prey. Slow retrieves and stops when near to submerged stumps/snags works but my number one suggestion is KEEP AT IT. Amazing how often that "one last cast" pays off. Good luck, you're hooked on Cod fishing now. bn

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kingyjohn said:

Cheers guys thanks for the advice do you get many on surface this time of year? 

Cod are a lazy fish and in Winter time you are more likely to get one which is defending its territory, rather than chasing down food. The larger Cod are often taken at this time of year. Rivers are often low in Winter so it is easier to see the snags where the Cod will be hiding. Good luck bn