New boat

Hunter69

Hi im about to purchase my first new boat. Im looking at a quintrex busta 420. I have 2 options at the same price. Option 1 has a Yamaha 25hp 4 stroke. Option 2 with a honda 30 hp 4 stroke. I like the idea of extra 5 hp but it also weighs 30kg more. The Yamaha seems a bit smarter. I cant decide. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joel.

Have you considered a clean 2 stroke?  I love my Evinrude ETEC 60 on my 449 Outlaw. They’re lighter than 4 strokes, should be cheaper too and you’d probably be able to put a 40 or 50 on that boat. What is the maximum recommended HP?

Edit: I just read the specs for that hull and the max HP is 40.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Thanks 1

For that boat I assume you will be in the Estuaries mostly. You won't be trying to power through Swells and getting out of 'The Hole' in a hurry wont be a big issue. I would rather have a lighter Stern and therefore a boat that sits better when underway. 30kg to get 5 more HP is not worth it in my opinion. Remember every Kilo you hang off that engine bracket is equivalent to many more KG's you would need at the front to balance it out. 

Get the Yamaha

9 minutes ago, Hunter69 said:

Hi berley. Its max hp is 40 hp. Just leaning towards a 4 stroke because of good fuel consumtion and less noise. Just seems the way to go these days.  Its a hard decision. 

Thanks

My ETEC 60 is so much quieter than the old Yamaha 25 2 stroke I had. Fuel economy is good. I was swayed to the ETECs by Huey, a former long-time sponsor of Fishraider, based on his experiences with service and reliability. A lot of people swear by 4 strokes but the ETECs have a strong following also. I put less  than 50 hours on mine in the first 3 years living in Sydney but I moved to Port Stephens just over a year ago and put another 100 on it. Starts first time every time and runs like a dream - I love it! However, I’d like to fish in a similar boat with a 4 stroke and compare notes!

• Like 2

Hey mate, I cant give you any comparison between the Yammie and the Honda (apart from the fact that they will both be great motors), but I do have a 3 year old Honda 30hp  with side console on the back of my Stacer 399 Proline Angler, and I absolutely love it. I bought the package new about 3 years ago and its fantastic.........motor is extremely quiet, very fuel efficient and starts 1st time every time. I know that it is heavier than the Yamaha, but i guess that is just something you have to consider.

I'm sure you wont be disappointed either way. I would suggest that you go the max hp for the hull that you can though.

Cheers

Mullat

Hi

This ignites a similar debate like Ford V Holden.

I would go the 4 stroke and the lighter one as 5hp isn't worth it, the only reason I would and did go the Etec is because its lighter I was able to have 15HP more than the 4 stroke option and it makes a huge difference when loaded and the engine works less.

My Etec is good on fuel, not sure on oil as I seem to be buying 4ltr bottle often, am monitoring it.

Would I buy another Etec, probably not, maybe I have bought a lemon but I mainly think its been my servicing dealer that's been my issue, changed servicing places last month but have only used it once, so will see,

When it runs right its good but I have lost faith in the engine ( Towed twice and alarms on 4 other occasions in 78hrs) to the point I am worried about going out side the heads and my kids worry about breaking down and being stranded again.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Thanks jeff. Sorry to hear that mate. You really need confidence in your boat or you may avoid taking it out as often as you should. I was going to buy second hand but for an extra 4 grand ive decided brand new. Mainly because of that reason. And all the stories my brother has told me about his second hand inboard breakdowns. I put a deposit down today on the Yamaha option. Thanks for your opinions 

No worries as I said mine was probably the servicing agent, my mates 130 Etec has never been serviced in 3yrs and hasn’t missed a beat in 130hrs.

Good luck with Yamaha they are also a good engine and quiet.

10 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

No worries as I said mine was probably the servicing agent, my mates 130 Etec has never been serviced in 3yrs and hasn’t missed a beat in 130hrs.

Good luck with Yamaha they are also a good engine and quiet.

The whole etec thing is a bit like if anyone says anything negative about them they are called racist. I have had dealings with maritime, tv hosts and dozens of friends who have all had pretty much the same result with their etec' s.  130 hrs is nothing ( 6 months of boating )let's start talking 500-750hrs then compare with 4 strokes. 

A 4 Stroke is serviced yearly / XX hours the same as a Etec, it just cost a little more than a Etec, but not much extra when you factor in the 2 stroke XD100 oil from Evinrude they recommend is $75 for 4ltrs (It last a long time).

Etecs used to have a first service interval of 3yrs or 300hrs with a 3yr warranty, but now as they are sold through Telwater if you get them service every year Evinrude gives you 2yrs extra warranty so you get a 5yr warranty.

All Outboards from the major suppliers, Mercury, Evinrude, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda are all quality items, like all mechanical items they can have duds and poor mechanics can make that even worse, its how they fix them that makes a difference.

So it not just one brand that can have issues, each one if you google will have scary stories, but its only the upset customers who vent the 1000's of happy ones don't post negative reports.

Also note where the local service agent for the brand you want is located, nothing worse than driving 1hr to get it serviced, especially if you have to do it often, ha ha ha like me.

Edited by jeffb5.8

@jeffb5.8 has hit it on the head for me. The place that you get anything serviced is important. I go to an ETEC place, because i like the dealer and they aren't too far way, so that's why I got an ETEC.

I also think that most of the manufactures all do good products, otherwise they'd not be selling, Evinrude were just the people that invented outboards. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Etecs used to have a first service interval of 3yrs or 300hrs with a 3yr warranty, but now as they are sold through Telwater if you get them service every year Evinrude gives you 2yrs extra warranty so you get a 5yr warranty....

Interesting. I bought my ETEC with the boat new in Jan 2014 from a Stacer dealer in western Sydney. It’s first service (3 years) was done in Jan 2017 here in Port Stephens at a local Savage dealer (still Telwater) and Evinrude service agent. My next service was done last month (a little overdue but that’s when I could fit it in). Everything was running fine although the computer detected reports of a water intake intermittent fault. This was repaired under warranty. In reality, it doesn’t miss a beat and I am extremely happy with it.

Edited by Berleyguts

3 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Do 4 strokes require more service?

Just think of them like car engines (also 4strokes) basically oils and filter, my services are carried out by a Yamaha mechanic and cost bellow $200 for a F70, being mobile his costs are far less than those who work out of large premisses. A service should take no more than 2hrs but most dealers will charge the full 5hrs they claim it should take.

Also if considering any outboard take a hard look at what commercial operators are using every day of the week and don't be shy to ask why.

Edited by JonD

4 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

A 4 Stroke is serviced yearly / XX hours the same as a Etec, it just cost a little more than a Etec, but not much extra when you factor in the 2 stroke XD100 oil from Evinrude they recommend is $75 for 4ltrs (It last a long time).

Etecs used to have a first service interval of 3yrs or 300hrs with a 3yr warranty, but now as they are sold through Telwater if you get them service every year Evinrude gives you 2yrs extra warranty so you get a 5yr warranty.

All Outboards from the major suppliers, Mercury, Evinrude, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda are all quality items, like all mechanical items they can have duds and poor mechanics can make that even worse, its how they fix them that makes a difference.

So it not just one brand that can have issues, each one if you google will have scary stories, but its only the upset customers who vent the 1000's of happy ones don't post negative reports.

Also note where the local service agent for the brand you want is located, nothing worse than driving 1hr to get it serviced, especially if you have to do it often, ha ha ha like me.

Well im in the same boat too. I live in the barossa and yamaha is in adelaide. Although this side of town. Only 50 min drive. Not too bad.

Thanks again everyone. 

• Thanks 1