Port Hacking

trigunner54

After a long time absent from fishing with Uni and everything, a friend messages me Sunday night, "reckon you will be up by 4:30, Monday morning?, Gonna fish for some squid". Didn't even bother sleeping, was already was out till pretty late.

We still ended up arriving at Wally's wharf by 6:30am (behind schedule). 

We first drifted around the seaweed patches near Jibbon beach and jeez, it was damn cold. Drifted 3 times before we headed off to another location with nothing in the bag. the water here, dropped of to about 7-9m of water and took 20seconds for the squid jig to sink (not sure if i was doing it right). On my third cast, after letting it sink for around 20seconds, the line quickly takes off followed by the nice sound of the reel's drag system. Squid came in after a steady fight and was netted, measured at around 27cm hood length (first large squid for me!). We drifted near the area a few more times and ended up catching some more with 3 around 25cm hoodlength and 2 at 20cm hoodlength.

With some squid in the bag, and no more other catches after a while, we fished around moored boats with soft plastics. Lots of bites and small runs for me before the fish lets go of the lure, but friend did catch a few small snapper and a 28cm bream. there were also some large tyres in pretty shallow water on the sand flats with a few 40cm +  blackfish around them which got spooked off as our boat approached closer. 

Called it a day shortly after. Was happy i finally caught some larger squid but definetly need to wear more clothing, could barely feel my fingers out in the water. 

Squid.jpg

• Like 1