HAIRTAIL ARE ON

mrsswordfisherman

Hi Guys;

DO Not be surprised as zmk said if you get back to the ramp and find a brass monkey trying to borrow a welder!!:lol::1yikes:

Typical Weather in there for this time of year though.

Old blokes used to say to me in May.

No hairtail yet son. Not cold enough.

How right they were.

Cheers.

Roger.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oldfella said:

Hi Guys;

DO Not be surprised as zmk said if you get back to the ramp and find a brass monkey trying to borrow a welder!!:lol::1yikes:

Typical Weather in there for this time of year though.

Old blokes used to say to me in May.

No hairtail yet son. Not cold enough.

How right they were.

Cheers.

Roger.

Yes correct Roger @Oldfella we went about a month ago and it was not cold enough. 

We always held the fishraider hairtail weekends in July. 

A houseboat and a fun crew is the way to go ;)

From my experience on the Hawkesbury - most evenings, nights and mornings have fog.  Fog is just steam, so it's a natural occurrence whenever the water temperature is higher than the surrounding air like in winter.  Also, the fog is more prevalent when there is no wind especially in the narrow bays and inlets with steeper surrounding terrain - eg, Cowan Ck system, Jerusalem Bay etc. 

You just have to be prepared for that.  Slow and steady, night lights on, torch and horn at ready.

Cheers

Zoran

PS: I sometimes check other sources - like webcams to check on the local conditions - there is a webcam looking over the M1 Hawkesbury Rd bridge near Mooney Mooney ... if you see fog up that high its a white out below ....

https://straya.io/webcams/m1-pacific-motorway-hawkesbury-river/

Edited by zmk1962
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, podtrailler said:

Nice catch...

Im going fishing this friday night on a kayak for hairtails whats the night condition like, i know its very cold but are there any fogs?

Some nights/mornings can be total white outs so stick to the sides in a kayak

19 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

From my experience on the Hawkesbury - most evenings, nights and mornings have fog.  Fog is just steam, so it's a natural occurrence whenever the water temperature is higher than the surrounding air like in winter.  Also, the fog is more prevalent when there is no wind especially in the narrow bays and inlets with steeper surrounding terrain - eg, Cowan Ck system, Jerusalem Bay etc. 

You just have to be prepared for that.  Slow and steady, night lights on, torch and horn at ready.

Cheers

Zoran

PS: I sometimes check other sources - like webcams to check on the local conditions - there is a webcam looking over the M1 Hawkesbury Rd bridge near Mooney Mooney ... if you see fog up that high its a white out below ....

https://straya.io/webcams/m1-pacific-motorway-hawkesbury-river/

Thank you Zoran and Brew for very useful information.

I have many lights and navigation so im prepared.

Cheers.

Edited by podtrailler

2 hours ago, podtrailler said:

Thank you Zoran and Brew for very useful information.

I have many lights and navigation so im prepared.

Cheers.

Good luck. FYI I was down at Akuna Bay at 8.30am this morning and there was still quite a bit of fog around.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, Brew said:

Good luck. FYI I was down at Akuna Bay at 8.30am this morning and there was still quite a bit of fog around.

launched kayak from Akuna bay 4.30pm friday, headed out to Jerusalem bay. There were half dozen fishing boats scattered all over aiming  to catch fish.

Anchored 800m in Jerusalem bay close to shore sitting 14m depth and cast float rig with flashing lights to attract hairtail and first cast landed a hairtail within few minutes but cut my line as i was trying to use my net and my reel got tangled.

20 minutes later i caught one without the net. I had few more bites but could not hook them. Bites were off for hours, changed location for next couple of hours and nothing.

No fogs during my session till 2am. 

Very clear and bright night and not so cold only my feet, need to put thick ski socks.

I will try again next Saturday.

20180630_004735.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, podtrailler said:

launched kayak from Akuna bay 4.30pm friday, headed out to Jerusalem bay. There were half dozen fishing boats scattered all over aiming  to catch fish.

Anchored 800m in Jerusalem bay close to shore sitting 14m depth and cast float rig with flashing lights to attract hairtail and first cast landed a hairtail within few minutes but cut my line as i was trying to use my net and my reel got tangled.

20 minutes later i caught one without the net. I had few more bites but could not hook them. Bites were off for hours, changed location for next couple of hours and nothing.

No fogs during my session till 2am. 

Very clear and bright night and not so cold only my feet, need to put thick ski socks.

I will try again next Saturday.

Nice work mate, 

Great effort on the kayak.

How long did it take you to paddle from akuna bay to jerusalem bay?

27 minutes ago, sam bros said:

Nice work mate, 

Paddle? Mirage drive and hobie amas are on photo background

On 7/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, sam bros said:

Nice work mate, 

My first time out to these water system and pretty dark on the way to Jerusalem bay.On the way back clear skies made it bright.

It took me 70min but i was trying to find possible location to anchor. I have battery operated motor(Bixpy Jet) which can do 5km/h on the water and its hobie mirage peddle drive combination can speed up to 7.5km/h.

On the way back full speed took me about 45mins. Wetting line couple times on the way. 

Hobie amas to stablize even more cause i need to turn on my front rear night light and dont want flip kayak at night when alone fishing.

Edited by podtrailler
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, podtrailler said:

My first time out to these water system and pretty dark on the way to Jerusalem bay.On the way back clear skies made it bright.

It took me 70min but i was trying to find possible location to anchor. I have battery operated motor(Bixpy Jet) which can do 5km/h on the water and its hobie mirage peddle drive combination can speed up to 7.5km/h.

On the way back full speed took me about 45mins. Wetting line couple times on the way. 

Hobie amas to stablize even more cause i need to turn on my front rear night light and dont want flip kayak at night when alone fishing.

Hope you yak boys are checking in and back in with someone when you do these night jaunts :)

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Hope you yak boys are checking in and back in with someone when you do these night jaunts :)

Hi. Yes i try to.

Mobile signal no so great around this waters but around Cottage point you get a weak signal to make a call.

Thanks for safty awareness.

• Like 1