Min kota

Hunter69

It should be fine, depending on how you use it. I have a 55lb thrust Minn Kota on my 4.49m side console. Sometimes I wish I had more thrust. It can struggle to hold position on spot lock in very strong currents or strong winds but if you work within the restrictions it should be fine.

HI JOEL

The Min Kota 55lb is ok on my tinny (4mtr) Qunitrex  .It holds me in the Georges Rvr in current no problem using the spotlock function.  I use it for lure and bait fishing.  Good piece of gear.

Bob 

Edited by Pafisho08

I have a MotorGuide Xi5 55lb on my Renegade 420 and can't imagine fishing without it now - in strong wind or current it will struggle to hold the boat on Anchor but I can live with that rather than go for bigger thrust and extra battery for a 24V system.

Apart from Anchor, the Cruise Control mode is great when flicking lures along a flat or riverbank.

When I shopped around, the MotorGuide was around $300 cheaper than the MinnKota - not sure how they stack up price wise now.

Ok thanks il check them out.  So you have to run a 12v from them. My motor doesnt require a battery. I also need one for the sounder. 

As you can tell i havent set up a boat before.

Thanks again

Joel

I think the Saltwater MotorGuide only comes with a remote, you can buy a foot pedal as an option. My first electric motor had a foot pedal and I prefer the remote. It hangs around my neck so can control the motor from anywhere in the boat.

You'll need a 12V battery, mine is a 105AH Deep Cycle and separate to my start battery. I charge it with 240V external charger at home or sometimes if a long drive, using my car alternator with an extension lead with Anderson Plugs.

Sorry, can't help you with the boat charger, and no problem running the fish finder off the same battery other than it will contribute to the load on the battery anddrain it quicker, though compared to the electric motor, its minimal.

2 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Ok thanks. What are they boat chargers like ive seen ? The fish finder can be hooked up to the same battery aswel ? 

Thanks

I use a CTek charger. I hook it up when I get home and it stays on trickle. My sounder runs off the starter battery but you could run it off the same battery as the Minn Kota but battery run time will be impacted.

38 minutes ago, Hunter69 said:

Ok thanks. Like i said my engine doesnt need a battery so il need a battery up front. Would 2 separate batteries be better ?  What about a surcuit breaker are they worth having ? 

Thanks

Mine’s in a forward compartment. Got it all done as a package when I bought the boat. I’ve thought about a 2nd deep cycle battery for the sounder and GPS to save the main battery just for starting. However, I haven’t had any problems yet and both batteries are 4 years old. Don’t know about a circuit breaker... mine has an in-line fuse. I’m not much of a DIY guy - the dealer did it all. Good luck!

Just now, Hunter69 said:

Thanks burley. What does the in line fuse prevent ?

Like I said, I’m no DIY guy but I guess if there’s a short, the fuse blows. Then you have to change the fuse. If I relate that back to a house electricity meter box... in the old days if you blew a fuse, you’d have to go and put new fuse wire in it. These days, you just flick the circuit breaker switch. As the only thing I run off the front battery is the Minn Kota, I can’t see how I can overload it and blow a fuse?

One thing I can recommend is to spend the money and buy a good quality Century marine battery from a decent auto electrician or Battery World, where they have a higher turnover and better backup support.

Surge/overload protection.

I wouldn't imagine a sounder would draw to much current.

Once you decide on the motor & sounder find out how much current they draw combined then you can work out how many hours run time you can get out of a particular amp hour battery.

No point setting up 2 batteries if you don't have to although there are also some good portable sounders that include batteries in the housing as well as an option.

Garmin & hummingbird  have various models.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Checked out some century marine batteries today. Would a 580 be large enough for minn kota + lowrance fish finder or a 680. The 780s are extremely large. 

Cheers

You should use a Deep Cycle type battery. The sizes are rated in Ah. I recommend 100ah capacity or more. 

Guest Guest123456789

I have a century n70t lead acid battery powering a 55lbs minn Kota ipilot on a Stacer 429. I charge it with an 8amp charger from supercreep auto. Had it three years and still going strong despite taking a beating.

Great set up, only gripes are the Bluetooth remote (broken twice) and my lowrance sounder doesn’t connect (apparently hummingbirds do). Apparently the motorguides can connect to lowrance sounder.

you do have to top up spark plugs every three to 6 months with Demineralised water (no great hassle).

42 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

I have a century n70t lead acid battery powering a 55lbs minn Kota ipilot on a Stacer 429. I charge it with an 8amp charger from supercreep auto. Had it three years and still going strong despite taking a beating.

Great set up, only gripes are the Bluetooth remote (broken twice) and my lowrance sounder doesn’t connect (apparently hummingbirds do). Apparently the motorguides can connect to lowrance sounder.

you do have to top up spark plugs every three to 6 months with Demineralised water (no great hassle).

Interesting. I reckon my Bluetooth remote plays up sometimes, too. I can’t always control it immediately.

I have a Humminbird sounder/GPS and I believe the Minn Kota can talk to it but I think it’s another add on transducer. I might ask them.

By topping up spark plugs, I assume you mean battery cells. ?