Boat storage- prevent theft

Hunter69

I dont have room in my shed to store my new boat. I have room in the backyard. Which will not make the place look very tidy. Or it could be kept in front drive way. How do you prevent theft by just leaving your boat sitting on your front yard? Its just a tinny so ideally someone could just hook it up and drive off.

Thanks

I have wheel clamp & clamp on tow ball coupling.

Not enough to stop someone with a cordless angle grinder - but the three neighbours next to me, there boats are a lot easier. So my goal wasn’t impossible, just harder to nick then there’s :)

other options include chaining to concrete block in the ground, an alarm/gps tracker, motion sensing lights & insurance.

Yeah I have a tow ball lock and a chain around the wheels.  Of course if i am away it can be stolen while I am gone but I have insurance also.  I like the idea of the hidden gps tracker but I dont know how much those would cost.

If they want it they will get it but the idea is just to make it difficult for them to minimise convenience theft. If you cover it so people don't really know what type of boat is under there it would take more effort for someone to decide they want it too. The goose neck locks are a good start but if you can chain it through the frame of the trailer to something solid (with thick wire rope, not chain) and a serious lock it is better. A big block of concrete buried under the lawn with a ring set in it or something.

Guest Guest123456789

It’s a balance of convenience vs security. 

For my insurance I keep my boat parked in the front drive way under a carport with a wheel lock. I also have a front fence and park our car in front so they will need to move the alarmed car to tow boat.

just remember you can pick up a battery powered angle grinder from Bunnings for $50 which will cut through just about anything so as others have mentioned if someone wants to steal it they will so make sure you have insurance.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone on here used one of the GPS trackers. I have been reading reviews on fleabay and Hamazon and there are a lot of bad reviews. In particular was after one with a self contained battery and no monthly contract. Will then put a cheap prepaid Sim in.

There's an online shop that has GPS tracking kits for about $100 bucks. You then put in an Aldi sim card ($10).  I don't own one so can't comment either way, but may be worth looking into.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Pm this member for details