Flattiefisher

kingfish setups

hey there fish raiders, I was just wondering if anyone knew some affordable kingfish combos. I will be fishing off the rocks with a price rang of $100-$200. if you have any information I would love to here it. cheers flattiefisher out.

Posted (edited)

Flattiefisher, are you looking for lure or bait setup? 

Also,  the above mentioned shop is quite expensive one. Even their bargain area always gave me laugh. They have good service and variety of tackle, however it is not a place for budget shopping from my observation. 

Check Dinga's (forum sponsor , price beat, usually lowest prices + 5% fishraider discount on top and free delivery) and usual camping fishing chain stores  prices (sales season now) when you make your mind on setup.

Edited by savit
  • Like 3

Just a reminder guys about links to non site sponsors. Please pm the member to any links of that nature. 

Regards scratchie mod team 

Posted (edited)

As Savit said - lure or bait?

I have a couple of outfits I use for kings but they don't cross over overly well.

If I I am fishing lure I like using my Shimano Snapper Raider 762 (7 foot 6 inces 2 piece) 5-8kg 15-45gram lure weight matched with a Shimano Stradic 4000 and 15lb braid. It is on the lighter side of what some would use for kings but allows me to work the lures well and not feel like I have been working out at the gym for several hours. I can put out a lighter bait on this but won't be casting out a whole large squid. The rod can be found for a little over $100 on special and if you match it up with an entry level Shimano (Say a Sienna or a Sedona) it comes close to your budget.

My other go to is a Shimano Aquatip rod (soft fibreglass tip) rated 6 - 10kg and a Shimano Baitrunner 4500 with 20lb line which is good for banging baits out there but is hard work for flicking lures. I have seen combo outfits like this well inside your budget.

I have recently picked up a Daiwa Saltist Hyper 9 foot plus rod which has a PE6 rating and will cast lures 60gm to 150gm as I wanted something to take over where the Raider finished up. It is hard work and at $300 or so for the rod alone plus the cost of the Speros 14000 complete with 50lb line it is well out of your budget but will give you an idea of other options out there.

I also own a Shimano Revolution 3 piece traveller which is rated up to 50lb line but allows me to cast big baits up to 200gm. The Spheros 14000 I mentioned above jumps between 3 different rods and I have a second spool for it with 80lb line for the boat rod.

Work out what you want to do and the advice will get better.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

For that budget an Alvey 650 and a 2nd hand surf rod , load it up with 40lb mono and chuck out a live squid under a bobby cork

• Like 2

Look at Fin Nor Lethal or Offshore for a quality yet affordable reel... Pair this with a Penn Prevail or a Daiwa sweepfire and you got a setup for under $200 that will handle kingies

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@masterfisho7 and @kingie chaser please ask that company to contact fishraider regarding sponsorship if they wish to advertise or shoot me a pm 

So no product links of any kind on the forum unless its from one of your forum sponsors??

Just to clarify, e.g. is showing a reel or rod on the Shimano or Diawa website ok as long as its not shop specific or not??  YES THE SAME AS THE OTHER MEMBERS HAVE DONE - QUOTE THE TACKLE AND LET THE POSTER GO FIND THE BEST PRICE :) mrsswordie

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Explanation of site rules
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

So no product links of any kind on the forum unless its from one of your forum sponsors??

You can link to products on their websites. We have a sponsor DINGA who gives members discounts and will price match.

Fishraider has always and is still looking for good companies to sponsor or enter into partnerships to provide for members here. Get them to make contact ;)

If you want to send that link to the poster then do so in a pm please :)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

You can link to products on their websites. We have a sponsor DINGA who gives members discounts and will price match.

Fishraider has always and is still looking for good companies to sponsor or enter into partnerships to provide for members here. Get them to make contact ;)

If you want to send that link to the poster then do so in a pm please :)

No problem mrssf, I have never left links before so was unaware of your policy

I know it can be a grey area when you are trying to keep sponsors happy so wont happen again from me.

BTW I have no affiliation to any brand or store, I just shop where I am getting a good deal & usually only buy  thing on sale!

Good to know Dinga will price match though :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Flattiefisher said:

thanks for your replies

It would help if you tell us if you are live baiting or spinning for kingfish as the outfits needed are very different. 

Alvey will do both, live bait and spinning with gars which is a very effective method

• Like 1

I don't think an alvey would be very suitable, especially with a beach rod that gives away a lot in leverage. For live baiting a lever drag game reel is the go, at the cheaper end a Shimano TLD 25 or you could look second hand. For a rod to match you want a 7.5 to 8.5  ft LBG rod rated at 15-24 kg.

For spinning I would choose a threadline with a good drag, perhaps a Pfluger Salt in one of the larger 2 sizes and 50 lb braid. A GT style popper rod would be a good match. Given you budget have a look at the Gladiator heavy popper rod.

The blokes got a budget of 200, Alvey will do the job fine , cheapest eggbeater that will do what he wants is over $250- and it depends on the territory he wants to fish, short rods are fine on platforms like Jervis, Avoca etc but next to useless on the north coast ledges- and the OP is from Brissie- 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

The blokes got a budget of 200, Alvey will do the job fine , cheapest eggbeater that will do what he wants is over $250- and it depends on the territory he wants to fish, short rods are fine on platforms like Jervis, Avoca etc but next to useless on the north coast ledges- and the OP is from Brissie- 

I mentioned the Pfluger Salt and someone suggested a Fin Nor Lethal both have good drags and come in well under $200. Also for livebaiting I suggested looking second hand for an overhead. Yes you need to go a bit longer in rod length on the north coast but a 12ft beach rod will make little impact on a big kingie due to the leverage factor. Also an Alvey will be very unwieldy for constant spinning and also hampered with low retrieve rate and line twist. Overheads are more efficient for fighting big fish too. There is a reason you hardly ever see Alveys used for this style of fishing (either spinning or livebaiting).

Edited by kingfishbig