Seatrail

garfield28

Hi,

Was going to refurb my trailer but believe its rusting from the inside out on the main outside support so will more than likely be looking at buying a new one. 

Anyone own or have anything nice to say about the setrail trailers? I went and looked at one today and it looked pretty solid. The guy there admitted that back in the early days of importing them they had issues with the galvinising as they were not cleaning the steel correctly but he said that has all been sorted now and they have had no problems other than the winch and the jockey wheel which he admitted were pretty crap and probably the only real issue they have with the new trailers. 

Any advice or stories by someone who actually owns one would be great.

Thanks 

Geoff 

Have you considered an aluminium trailer? I will send you a pm with the name of a company I have been looking at for a new trailer. Very reasonably priced for aluminium, and from standard they have torsion axles

• Like 1

Geoff, how far do you have to trail your boat normally? if you are simply running down to the local ramp and back dont spend the money- just get it patched up- if on the other hand you are planning on doing lots of miles then yeah go new and go for name brand or a custom job, other thing is that second hand trailers sell quickly (to guys who have short drives to the ramp)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...my brother innlaw bouught one a few year back,its now rusted.they drill holes to fit them out after galvanizing.

check out marlin trailers at heatherbrae.

Yeah I went and saw them mate, but they are bloody pricey. 

4 hours ago, lyons90 said:

Have you considered an aluminium trailer? I will send you a pm with the name of a company I have been looking at for a new trailer. Very reasonably priced for aluminium, and from standard they have torsion axles

I'll check that out lyons90, thanks mate. 

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Geoff, how far do you have to trail your boat normally? if you are simply running down to the local ramp and back dont spend the money- just get it patched up- if on the other hand you are planning on doing lots of miles then yeah go new and go for name brand or a custom job, other thing is that second hand trailers sell quickly (to guys who have short drives to the ramp)

Mate don't have that far to go, original plan was to repair mine but I believe the main outside support of the frame is rusting from the inside out. 

I put some pics up on a thread I started in the workshop category but member Franks pointed out that he thought it was rusting from the inside, and the more I looked the more I believe he is right, so think I'm up for a new trailer, I would go second hand but like you said, they go quick, and some of the ones I've seen advertised they look worse than mine! 

If I were you i would check out Sydney boat show as you sometime s get good deals on trailers and it's only a month or so away.  Maybe a bit difficult for you due to you living at ps.

I bought a new trailer about 3 years ago and got a locally made one as they were cheepest.  Pretty happy with it so far but don't know if I  can mention brand due to site rules.  Ron

1 hour ago, campr said:

If I were you i would check out Sydney boat show as you sometime s get good deals on trailers and it's only a month or so away.  Maybe a bit difficult for you due to you living at ps.

I bought a new trailer about 3 years ago and got a locally made one as they were cheepest.  Pretty happy with it so far but don't know if I  can mention brand due to site rules.  Ron

You could probably private message me that info mate, I think that is allowed, is it Moderators? 

• Like 1

Theres your answer- put it on fleabay for $500 and buy another for $700- do the same in 2 years ! Seriously though second hand trailers go very quickly even if they are lemons - quite a few years ago I had a rusted through , bearings gone heap of junk-i sold it for $450 without hiding a single problem to a bloke who lived 300 M from Parsley Bay ramp at Brooklyn, i brought a demo model used by the dealer for $975- swapped out for a near new trailer for $525- so it can be done- however even though yours is rusted badly - if the bearings etc are Ok and you are only driving a couple of K's to the ramp- wait until it dies, at worst keep a couple of bits of 4X2 in the car if you need to bodgie it up to get home and then get a newie.

Anyone got any reviews on Spitfire trailers? Got a price on a brand new full aluminum one with torsion springs, hydraulic brakes, LED lights, walk platform etc with boat fitted for $4550. I just don't know yet how long they have been around and how decent the trailers are. Being aluminium would take away the worry of cr@ppy galvanising which could be a possibility with the seatrail ones. 

Yeah Ok, definetly need the braked trailer, still reckon you will get a few hundred for yours- someone with a private boat ramp , or doesnt care about rego will take it. Good luck , $4K for an al trailer sounds pretty good to be truthful, not sure you could get a Dunbier gal trailer for that.

I was looking at a "new" boat today and it had a seatrial trailer. Looked OK.  I thought Has a 5 m Quintrex on it, but its got brakes.  Will see if I can go for a drive in it and will let you know how it tows, although, with my Prado and a light boat, I don't know if I will notice. 

On 6/28/2018 at 7:54 PM, garfield28 said:

Anyone got any reviews on Spitfire trailers? Got a price on a brand new full aluminum one with torsion springs, hydraulic brakes, LED lights, walk platform etc with boat fitted for $4550. I just don't know yet how long they have been around and how decent the trailers are. Being aluminium would take away the worry of cr@ppy galvanising which could be a possibility with the seatrail ones. 

Damn thats pretty good.  I just picked up a gal spitfire tandem for $2500 from a bloke in charters towers.  Wasnt registered and had been sitting for a year or two but it was in new condition.  Closest I could find in this area was a swiftco gal tandem trailer in townsville for $4500.  

Im assuming your ally one was a single axel?  My boat is 5.6m so everywhere i called said tandem minimum.

6 minutes ago, Fishop said:

Damn thats pretty good.  I just picked up a gal spitfire tandem for $2500 from a bloke in charters towers.  Wasnt registered and had been sitting for a year or two but it was in new condition.  Closest I could find in this area was a swiftco gal tandem trailer in townsville for $4500.  

Im assuming your ally one was a single axel?  My boat is 5.6m so everywhere i called said tandem minimum.

Yeah my current trailer is single axle, and price quoted was for a single as well. 

Hows the quality on the Gal one you got mate? How's it tow and how's the gal, I've heard the galvanising is a problem with the Chinese trailers 

5 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Yeah my current trailer is single axle, and price quoted was for a single as well. 

Hows the quality on the Gal one you got mate? How's it tow and how's the gal, I've heard the galvanising is a problem with the Chinese trailers 

I'm no expert but it seems pretty good.  Seems solid.  Tows way better than the old trailer.  Had to fiddle with it a bit to get it setup correct but its good now.  Only thing i don't like is the axles are quite far apart so when you make tight turns the tyres drag and flex quite a bit.  Yeah only time will tell with the galvanizing i suppose, still 2 grand savings was too hard to pass up.

1 hour ago, Fishop said:

I'm no expert but it seems pretty good.  Seems solid.  Tows way better than the old trailer.  Had to fiddle with it a bit to get it setup correct but its good now.  Only thing i don't like is the axles are quite far apart so when you make tight turns the tyres drag and flex quite a bit.  Yeah only time will tell with the galvanizing i suppose, still 2 grand savings was too hard to pass up.

Yeah mate very lucky you got it for that price... wonder why a guy buys a brand new trailer and lets it sit in the yard for a year or 2 and never use it..?? Lucky for you though I guess. 

As for the galvanising if the salesman I spoke with is telling the truth he said that it isn't an issue now but was in the early years, so hopefully that problem has been rectified. 

On 7/2/2018 at 5:04 PM, garfield28 said:

Yeah mate very lucky you got it for that price... wonder why a guy buys a brand new trailer and lets it sit in the yard for a year or 2 and never use it..?? Lucky for you though I guess. 

As for the galvanising if the salesman I spoke with is telling the truth he said that it isn't an issue now but was in the early years, so hopefully that problem has been rectified. 

He sells all sorts of spitfire trailers.  He buys them as kits from china or wherever and makes them up over here.  Not sure why it took 2 years to sell it.  I searched for ages on gumtree and facebook etc and never found any of his ads.  Eventually a friend of a friend told me to call him.

Hi all,

Just waiting on a price from a guy for Seatrail trailers, but I am leaning towards the Spitfire aluminum trailer full ally 1460 kgs ATM, hydrualic brakes, torsion axle, blue slip + other bits and pieces $4450 

Really hope I don't get burnt and its a decent build and quality 

http://spitfiretrailers.com.au/product/spitfire-trailers-aluminium-6.0M-1460kg-multi-roller-boat-trailer