Land Based Micro Jiggin - Help New

Spool

Hey people, I am new to micro jiggin don’t know much but have picked it up since top water lure never work for me don’t know why. But have had some good luck with micro jigs. Got few things I like to know.

1) For land based Breakwalls etc. what range weight jigs should I be using? 

2) I have bought some jigs but the action are all different. Can someone tell me what kind of different type of jigs there is and how the action are for each? 

3) Some jigs I bought they just fall quick I was looking for one that flutters at a steady pace. How do I tell which one is that?

4) The way I work the jigs is I let it sink then I jerk the rod quite hard about 3 lifts then let it sink and lay on the floor for awhile. I get bites like this. But what if I’m chasing fish that dont eat on the pause. What should I do?

5) I see people on boats they use the technique where they jig really fast jerking the rod non stop and wind. Is this technique can also be applied with micro jigging or it is different?

Thanks sorry for the rookieness. Look forward to learning few things ?

Edited by Spool

Have a look at this older thread.

I think essentially micro jigging is based on fishing from a boat with a vertical drop but with a change to technique in the retrieve there is no reason it wont work land based BUT it depends on things like the water depth & the current as in some circumstances it could be better just to use a SP I recon! 

Here in an extract from something I read online, I don't want to add the link as there is advertising on the page-

Flat shapes: These jigs fall horizontally through the water column and take longer to fall, vibrating during the descent. Such lures are better suited to shallow and calm-water situations.

Compact asymmetrical shape: These jigs are a mixture of flat-fall and diamond, usually being rounded one side with a few angles on the other. This means they can be twitched, but can also hover on the horizontal, then fall horizontally if your rod is whipped up to ‘pitch’ them onto their sides so they flutter back down to the bottom. A good universal shape, they can be used in most situations.

The best way to check out a lure’s action is by working it close to the boat, just under the water, so you can see how it reacts in response to rod and reel movements.

On technique which is based from a boat can be adapted to shore-

"When micro jigging, it is important to mix up your retrieve a little to see what is working on the day. Some days a simple yo-yo retrieve does the trick. This involves dropping the jig to the bottom, lifting the rod tip high and slowly dropping it back to the waterline while staying in contact with the jig to feel the bites. Every third or fourth lift, make a wind to slowly move the jig up through the water column until you get a bite. This works well when the fish are holding quite close to the bottom.

Another technique is to shake the rod tip as you slowly retrieve and another is a high-speed jig, which involves a short sharp jigging action with the rod in combination with a quick retrieve".

Personally I think the technique will differ to the jig/shape used, e.g flatter jigs will come up through the water column to the surface faster due to the surface area,  you will just have to play around & see what works for that particular jig.

Hope something in here helps but just do a heap of googling & see what you find as well.

Good luck 

• Thanks 1

For the basic shore jigging technique have a look at this video. For my shore jigging I use slow blatt jigs and Shore Gun rods although there are many other brands. What jig weight and size  you are going to use depends on your rod rating. I have two rods, one for jigging with 10g-20g jigs and second one for 40g-60g jigs.

Be prepared to lose a lot of jigs if you fish a very snaggy bottom.

55 minutes ago, EnOz43 said:

For the basic shore jigging technique have a look at this video. For my shore jigging I use slow blatt jigs and Shore Gun rods although there are many other brands. What jig weight and size  you are going to use depends on your rod rating. I have two rods, one for jigging with 10g-20g jigs and second one for 40g-60g jigs.

Be prepared to lose a lot of jigs if you fish a very snaggy bottom.

I already know most basics. How are you ment to work the fast fall jigs? 

Also I have a micro jig which is 30 grams and heavily weight at the back so it falls really fast feels like only 1 second hang time. When I pitch it up it falls back down really fast how do I work this type of jig?

Edited by Spool

As king chaser suggested get some other jigs which might be more suitable for the area you are fishing. Maybe your jig is supposed to be used from the boat in a deeper water and you are trying to get it to work from shore. If your jig is sinking too fast you can try a faster retrieve.

You can try Shimano Coltsniper:

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-coltsniper-wonderfall-light-jigs-wonderfall.html