Port Stephens- winter reds

Scratchie

G’day raiders,

Headed out early this morning with the eldest boy in search of a few snaps. It was pretty windy and short period chop but it’s hard to get time with the 17yo so we were going no matter what. 

Tried a few different areas which resulted in a few pannies and a few reef fish. Hit up one of my preferred spots and was soon onto a string puller. The wind was making throwing sps pretty difficult so we decided to find a somewhat sheltered spot, anchor and burley up. This only attached every sweep and trumpeter around picking our baits to death until the boy managed to hook up to a good king! It was a decent fight until it got the better of him boatside and somehow snapped the line! :( That was pretty much a sign to call it a day and head for Home. It was a long bumpy ride back but great to spend some quality time with the boy! 

Thanks for reading, 

Cheers scratchie!!! 4574C192-32A2-440F-915A-AD94F3E1CF52.jpeg.88babd838428c32338f129578655569c.jpeg

• Like 12

35 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I can’t believe he is 17!

Good you still get out and fish together. I know your kids are very busy with their sports too.

Thanks Donna! Yep, a couple months he’ll be 18. :( where has the time gone! 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JonD said:

Do you get the plaques of leather jackets up there ever?

Don’t jinx me Jon but never caught one up at Broughton. Doesn’t mean they are there but the gear doesn’t get savaged like the tell tale signs of them! 

• Like 1

Nice report and great to hear you can spend time with your son. Maintaining those links is so important when they have such busy lives. Also gives you time to talk about other stuff while  fishing.

Are those cycling gloves doubling up for fishing! Creative on these cold mornings.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

Nice report and great to hear you can spend time with your son. Maintaining those links is so important when they have such busy lives. Also gives you time to talk about other stuff while  fishing.

Are those cycling gloves doubling up for fishing! Creative on these cold mornings.

Thanks Phil. 

Once they get their license, girlfriend etc, time together is rare! We’ve all been there! 

Those gloves are for weightlifting or cycling. Considering I don’t do either at least I found a use for them! Haha :) 

Great stuff, Jeff! A father and son trip, one on one, is always good, I reckon. I’ve just got the one and he’s nearly 26. Although we get on each other’s nerves from time to time, I treasure the rare days when we fish together. He’s not really into fishing that much, so when I drag him out early in the morning, he’ll often sleep on the floor of the boat, then wake up when we get to the grounds, then proceed to outfish me!... but I don’t really mind! ?

• Like 2

Weightlifting snapper jeff  hahaha  be up in two wknds  hopefully  need a red fix   just started gettin a few more squid for big floatin baits   i luv havin a fish with my son  but im lucky  he works with me every day so we get to hang out all the time   hope to catch up with u an baz soon

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Weightlifting snapper jeff  hahaha  be up in two wknds  hopefully  need a red fix   just started gettin a few more squid for big floatin baits   i luv havin a fish with my son  but im lucky  he works with me every day so we get to hang out all the time   hope to catch up with u an baz soon

You’ve been pretty quiet rick! Be good to catch up soon! 

On 6/29/2018 at 6:13 PM, Scratchie said:

Don’t jinx me Jon but never caught one up at Broughton. Doesn’t mean they are there but the gear doesn’t get savaged like the tell tale signs of them! 

Another day today simply feeding jackets from 2m deep out to 65m. Not one fish landed.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

@JonD

you jinxed me! First ever jacket for me at Broughton today! 

F69450C1-9362-4889-9339-FC39C028897F.thumb.jpeg.7c5b345df1e6b113d2ecd1e6521626ba.jpeg

Which also coincided with my first donut on snapper up there! Conditions were crap though but couldn’t find a fish to save my life! :( 

Just saw the Crowdy head report where it was stated jackets were in the deeper water there too.

Just had another weekend of loosing gear to jackets, to the point my daughter wouldn't even drop a line and left all the loosing to me. 

I would love to know an explanation to such numbers as these fish aren't just biting off anything we drop but they must be cleaning up every squid and cuttlefish egg not to mention they can feed on almost anything.

Sunday I eventually gave up and decided to dive several bait grounds for a look which all seemed void of fish apart from a few groper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Just saw the Crowdy head report where it was stated jackets were in the deeper water there too.

Just had another weekend of loosing gear to jackets, to the point my daughter wouldn't even drop a line and left all the loosing to me. 

I would love to know an explanation to such numbers as these fish aren't just biting off anything we drop but they must be cleaning up every squid and cuttlefish egg not to mention they can feed on almost anything.

Sunday I eventually gave up and decided to dive several bait grounds for a look which all seemed void of fish apart from a few groper.

This was actually only in 16-20m of water. We were drifting that fast we needed 6oz leads to hold bottom. Should have given up earlier but needed at least one good fish! Water temp was only 16.5 deg. 

Every 6 or 7 years, the chinaman jackets turn up in plague proportions outside.

I noticed earlier this year that some very small ones were in Gunnamatta Bay in Port Hacking, the first for some time. When the small ones turn up in side the bays, then some bigger ones appear outside, too small to eat, then larger ones will be around later, being big enough to eat.

When they are in plague proportions outside, they will eat anything that swims past them - hooked flatties, each other if hooked, or anything not fast enough to swim away from the pack, and they do swim in a pack, in bigger numbers than piranha and they have the mentality of piranha. I have killed one or 2 and thrown them into the water, and other jackets will appear in their hundreds to eat their own kind - do not fall overboard. ?

A couple of larger jackets I caught some years back had just attacked and eaten a blue spotted ray - one jacket had the whole tail in it's fat guts, with just a few chew marks along the tail, and the other jacket had sections of the body in it's fat guts, including an eye that was still intact. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Every 6 or 7 years, the chinaman jackets turn up in plague proportions outside.

I noticed earlier this year that some very small ones were in Gunnamatta Bay in Port Hacking, the first for some time. When the small ones turn up in side the bays, then some bigger ones appear outside, too small to eat, then larger ones will be around later, being big enough to eat.

When they are in plague proportions outside, they will eat anything that swims past them - hooked flatties, each other if hooked, or anything not fast enough to swim away from the pack, and they do swim in a pack, in bigger numbers than piranha and they have the mentality of piranha. I have killed one or 2 and thrown them into the water, and other jackets will appear in their hundreds to eat their own kind - do not fall overboard. ?

A couple of larger jackets I caught some years back had just attacked and eaten a blue spotted ray - one jacket had the whole tail in it's fat guts, with just a few chew marks along the tail, and the other jacket had sections of the body in it's fat guts, including an eye that was still intact. 

Thanks for the feedback yowie! Let’s hope they piss off as fast as they got here! 

• Like 1