Mooney Mooney boat ramp

Peter Nelson

Hi All

I'm booking a house in the upper Hawkesbury and it's only accessible by boat.

We are thinking of parking the car and trailer and leaving it at Mooney Mooney boat ramp for about 3 nights/days.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this area is safe to leave the car for a few days. Anyone had any bad experiences, thefts etc.

I heard its ok as a lot of caravaners etc stay overnight there.

Cheers

Probably the worst ramp to leave your trailer or car at. I’ve had friends have there whole trailer stripped including wiring. Plenty of unwanted vandals there! 

Parsley bay is an option. I’ve left my car and trailer there for 4 days before! And generally did when we had the hairtail socials. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

6 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Probably the worst ramp to leave your trailer or car at. I’ve had friends have there whole trailer stripped including wiring. Plenty of unwanted vandals there! 

Parsley bay is an option. I’ve left my car and trailer there for 4 days before! And generally did when we had the hairtail socials. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks mate, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

Always someone around causing trouble. It would really ruin your holiday if it happened, worse case I won't even be able to get the boat back home

2 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Hi All

I'm booking a house in the upper Hawkesbury and it's only accessible by boat.

We are thinking of parking the car and trailer and leaving it at Mooney Mooney boat ramp for about 3 nights/days.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this area is safe to leave the car for a few days. Anyone had any bad experiences, thefts etc.

I heard its ok as a lot of caravaners etc stay overnight there.

Cheers

Peter. It is a very big risk to leave a car and trailer at any ramp for a few days, the local would be thieves and vandals often visit ramps and if they see the same vehicle in the same spot they consider it a target.

A possible solution is I meet you at the ramp at a arranged time and take your pride and joy back to my house for the juration of your stay and look after it and  drive it back for you at another arranged time. The only thing is I would need someone else to come with me to drive my vehicle up and back.

You might not like the idea of a stranger driving your car  but the alternate might be a lot worse.

Think it over and if you don't come up with a better idea I would be willing to help you out this way.

I wouldn't use your vehicle for any reason other than getting it from the ramp and back again, I am responsible and haven't had a accident and only 1  fine in over 50 years of driving.

Frank

• Like 8

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Peter. It is a very big risk to leave a car and trailer at any ramp for a few days, the local would be thieves and vandals often visit ramps and if they see the same vehicle in the same spot they consider it a target.

A possible solution is I meet you at the ramp at a arranged time and take your pride and joy back to my house for the juration of your stay and look after it and  drive it back for you at another arranged time. The only thing is I would need someone else to come with me to drive my vehicle up and back.

You might not like the idea of a stranger driving your car  but the alternate might be a lot worse.

Think it over and if you don't come up with a better idea I would be willing to help you out this way.

I wouldn't use your vehicle for any reason other than getting it from the ramp and back again, I am responsible and haven't had a accident and only 1  fine in over 50 years of driving.

Frank

Bloody brilliant!! That's the true FR spirit!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

The only thing is I would need someone else to come with me to drive my vehicle up and back.

Legend !

Peter should just pick you up on the way to the boat ramp.

I usually use Appletree bay when fishing hairtail and have had no issues.  They used to lock half of car park up which meant you couldn't get out till morning but this gave added security for overnighters.  Also fact there was only one road each way deterred theives.  Main problem is National Park fees are payable which isn't a worry for me as I have a free pensioner pass.

7 minutes ago, campr said:

I usually use Appletree bay when fishing hairtail and have had no issues.  They used to lock half of car park up which meant you couldn't get out till morning but this gave added security for overnighters.  Also fact there was only one road each way deterred theives.  Main problem is National Park fees are payable which isn't a worry for me as I have a free pensioner pass.

Thanks mate I'll check it out, cheers

We used to do it every year and I would leave my car for 2 nights at Mooney Mooney and 3 mates left their cars with trailers as well for 2 nights.

We did sometime move them but usually only if they were in a crappy spot, we also put the wheel clamps on the wheels and tow ball locks as well. Also back the trailers in against a post or wall. Take your spare wheel of as well.

havent done it for a 3 year now but have heard of a few trailers being stolen or stripped.

i think if we do it again we will use Paisley Bay, better ramp but like all ramps it’s still a risk.

Parsley Bay gets fairly regular drive throughs by the local constabulary but I have had a trailer stripped there too, but can i suggest the following- for a small fee i know the houseboat hire places (if they have room) will allow you to park in their lockups (or at least they did in the past), give em a call. 

On 7/3/2018 at 9:32 AM, PaddyT said:

Parsley Bay gets fairly regular drive throughs by the local constabulary but I have had a trailer stripped there too, but can i suggest the following- for a small fee i know the houseboat hire places (if they have room) will allow you to park in their lockups (or at least they did in the past), give em a call. 

Thanks mate, I tried them but no good.

Cheers

On 7/2/2018 at 9:50 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

We used to do it every year and I would leave my car for 2 nights at Mooney Mooney and 3 mates left their cars with trailers as well for 2 nights.

We did sometime move them but usually only if they were in a crappy spot, we also put the wheel clamps on the wheels and tow ball locks as well. Also back the trailers in against a post or wall. Take your spare wheel of as well.

havent done it for a 3 year now but have heard of a few trailers being stolen or stripped.

i think if we do it again we will use Paisley Bay, better ramp but like all ramps it’s still a risk.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:50 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Thanks mate, I don't think ill do it now , the missus wants to go further down south coast.

I'd be kicking myself if something happened to the trailer and I was aware their night be a risk

If you launch at Gosford, you can keep the car and trailer at my place for a couple of days. It would be down the backyard so you might be unlucky and have a tree fall on it or the backyard floods, but that doesn't happen too much these days. The boat ride from Gosford to your house would take about an hour I guess

• Like 1

4 hours ago, antonywardle said:

If you launch at Gosford, you can keep the car and trailer at my place for a couple of days. It would be down the backyard so you might be unlucky and have a tree fall on it or the backyard floods, but that doesn't happen too much these days. The boat ride from Gosford to your house would take about an hour I guess

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the offer, we are planning something else now down south.

It's really good to see many people willing to help?