DRUMMER!

sydneyelvis

So I've been messing around for the last couple of months trying to come up with a way of consistently catching drummer.

And finally hours of planning, whilst drinking whisky have started to pay off.

I have found that they bite well at any stage of the tide but better when there is cloud cover. 

For bait Im now using peeled prawns. I peel them at home before I go and keep the shells for burley.

For burley, the prawn shells plus old bread and A hand full chucked in every three casts.

So yesterday on a dropping tide (almost low) with cloud cover I ventured out. 

First 15 minutes, no action.

For the next 30 minutes... mayhem!!! One drummer at 35cm... one drummer at 43cm (pictured).... busted off by something even bigger twice!

These things pull like a train and i reckon the 40cm models pull harder than a 75cm king... maybe im just excited!

I quit before dark and just kept the larger model.

DRUMMER 1 JULY.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, connico said:

That rig looks pretty simple. Cork --> sinker --> hook. I normally don't go with a hook for drummer but i guess ill give it a go... wont lose any hooks :)

I found using a float does 3 things:

1) less snags

2) the bait moves around naturally in the water

3) it keeps me focussed on the water and incoming waves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sydneyelvis said:

I found using a float does 3 things:

1) less snags

2) the bait moves around naturally in the water

3) it keeps me focussed on the water and incoming waves

I like to keep it even simpler. Smallest ball sinker you can get away with, running straight onto the hook. It casts easy with an Alvey. It floats naturally in the wash. Almost impossible to tangle. Rerigging, if you do get reefed, is one knot, meaning you’re back fishing quicker hence more time in the strike zone. ?

Rock blackfish/Black drummer... scientific name - “piggus reefus” - you gotta love ‘em!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I like to keep it even simpler. Smallest ball sinker you can get away with, running straight onto the hook. It casts easy with an Alvey. It floats naturally in the wash. Almost impossible to tangle. Rerigging, if you do get reefed, is one knot, meaning you’re back fishing quicker hence more time in the strike zone. ?

Rock blackfish/Black drummer... scientific name - “piggus reefus” - you gotta love ‘em!

I'm with you Baz, that's the best (only rig!) for just about everything on the rocks(bar live baiting)and with an Alvey the only way to go. I fear that Alvey fishermen are now a dying breed

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 2:25 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

I'm with you Baz, that's the best (only rig!) for just about everything on the rocks(bar live baiting)and with an Alvey the only way to go. I fear that Alvey fishermen are now a dying breed

Alvey all the way. Built to last. Now that is a rare thing these days. 

Sydneyelvis.  Some very nice pigs there!  Well done. Not much can compare with a pigs power except maybe a big groper.