Fish spotting with a drone

lyons90

Hi all,

Does anybody here use a drone when searching for spots? If so, post up some pics.

I have a small dji spark specifically for this purpose. I have used it mostly over trout streams but I am trying to use it on the boat more. Problem being I generally fish Jervis bay,  which is all restricted airspace, so I am planning to fish Eden or Sydney some more.

I got out at Batemans bay on the weekend just past, but my 5 year old onboard meant I couldn't get in the air for long. Here are a couple (compressed to upload) horizon shots without the polarizing lens.

org_098a1787b63fc41c_1530406520000.jpg

org_b03c7fbfeff683ea_1530406480000.jpg

org_605443caabe824e7_1530406684000.jpg

• Like 2

Great photos. I had a drone I was hoping to use for line-setting. Now it’s somewhere in the hills behind Tallow Beach. Somewhere.

Question i can see how this could be useful for spotting schools of surface feeders, but how does it contribute to finding fishing spots otherwise? Surely a chart and a gps would be a lot more effective? What’s your strategy?

Edited by Volitan

I think there are many drones that have been sacrificed to line setting.

Yes, the idea is to search for surface activity, objects floating in the water, shallow reef. So far I have been successful in finding a school of whiting in the manning river and trout in streams around Canberra.

I still use a chartplotter,this is just another excuse for another toy ? and is definitely not evidence based.

• Like 1

Yep, searching for floating objects offshore could be a good one.

also current breaks

save on fuel

And i was also thinking, when beach fishing on a lot of beaches it’s very hard to work out where the structure is. On the local beaches like Killcare it pretty much impossible to work out the structure at high tide. From a drone it’s easy to see rips and channels.

Edited by Volitan

Some great shots there, I've often thought about it for spotting schools of travelling/feeding bluefin on the surface but don't know enough about it.  A very interesting idea though.  Cheers............

Dave

I will post up any good pics or footage when I get it.

There must be something to it, Raymarine are bringing out function in the Axiom to use the sounder screen for the drone view.

I got the phantom 4 pro plus with the fishing attachment . Its great for beach fishing can see everything in the water rips, channels where theres weed , all bait schools and see heaps of sharks within 100 m of the shoreline . 

the fishing attachment is great . You attache your swivel to it and fly it out where ever you want and pust the button to drop your bait there .  It lifts about 1.5kg of bait.

as for using it on the ocean from a boat its bit scary as the do get interferance or drop outs and when that happens it will automaticly return and land exactly where it took off from which is extremly hard if the boats drifting or your coping swell and boats rocking As its trying land it will end up in the water. 

Hope this helps

I considered going with a Phantom and fishing attachment but I decided to go with the Spark so that I can use it from the boat.

It launches from my hand and is easy to land back in my hand, even with swell.

The handy thing about being away from land is that most interference disappears.

I have a lot of trust in the technology to the point I have intentionally dropped connections and tested different interference sources to see how it modifies behavior and have not had an issue in near 200 flights. I flew rc helicopters and planes 12ish years ago without fail-safes, gps or compasses, so these are brilliant.

As far as the RTH goes, I just turn it off. If the connection drops it will just hover in place until I reconnect.

Edited by lyons90

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, Volitan said:

Great photos. I had a drone I was hoping to use for line-setting. Now it’s somewhere in the hills behind Tallow Beach. Somewhere.

I had a drone too! mine was a small one but it decided to blow away in the wind and I lot it in the neighbourhood, never to return. Didn't have a camera to see where it landed.

I have friends who use a drone for beach fishing, good for getting into deeper water.