Quintrex ID for new boat

antonywardle

Hi

Anyone know what model of Quintrex this is? I'm thinking of changing from my FG to an alloy boat and found this one.277209364_boat(1).jpg.341c498aed3d1a3dd9d0ab0562ca8e04.jpg

From what I've been told, its 90's and 5.1 metres. Its setup pretty well for fishing with a heap more room than my current one. Comes on a nice trailer with 60HP four stroke.

1023821839_boat(3).jpg.bb12bf867fafd1dc51413d5db73c4ca3.jpg

Its got a few dings, ignore the white on the side, that was me removing the rego number. I like that it is a centre console and is very tidy inside. 

1289807075_boat(4).thumb.jpg.f09c20de8c60ac02571d42931f3751ed.jpg

It needs a tidy up and some toys added for offshore, but fr the most part, it is ready to go.

977907397_boat(5).thumb.jpg.8d2c9a8d084fc9ad3d8eda3215bf97a6.jpg

Trailer is in good condition too. I'll be going outside in it. I lifted the floor boards and it looked tidy. there is a 40 litre floor tank, live tank and rod hold bait board combo. Two batteries and one of the floor panels needs to be replaced.  Any advice for what else to look at? Sea trial this week some time. I know the guy who is selling, he is a nice bloke and very genuine. I wonder if it is a little under powered, and if so, I can always get my ETEC moved over, but I wasn't able to find the compliance plate to see what HP can go on the back. 

Any advice, gratefully received.

boat (6).jpg

boat (2).jpg

2 minutes ago, garfield28 said:

Plenty of fishing room in that Antony. Looks a good boat 

thanks. If all goes well, I might have either a whole boat to sell, or if I need to break it up, a hull, a trailer and an outboard. The trailer will work with your FG boat ?

• Like 1

Thanks @PaddyT From what I can tell, the 4 stroke is around 125KG and my ETEC is 145KG. I'm picking that both of those are lighter than anything that would have been around in the 80's. The T-Top looked pretty solid. Do you have anything else I should be checking on the rest of the boat?

Guest Guest123456789

I wouldn’t buy it because it’s a painted hull, and It looks suspiciously fresh.

Appropriately, it looks like a Quinnie "Fishraider" to me - but they were 4.5m I think - definitely produced in the 80's

Appears to have had a few modifications made though.

I don't believe that Quintrex made a tinnie bigger than 5.0 mtrs for general sale back then - happy to be corrected.

Look for broken welds on the ribs / under the floor.

Otherwise, I love the Quinnies of that era!

good luck!

• Thanks 1

Yep im thinking Fishraider- repaint may or may not be a problem, ask the owner about it and how and who did it-home job could be a prob, 4.5 M fishraider with no level floatation will be bum heavy with 125kg on the back. Plus 1 on lifting the floor , they were a good hull for their time but very light weight- 3mm pressed Al, Typical motor for it would of been a 2 stroke 50Hp which would of weighed around 85 kgs, an extra 40 is a lot.

• Thanks 1

Looks pretty close to mine which is a 1994 Quintrex fishraider but mine is 4.88m. I also have a pod on mine and its still a bit arse heavy with a honda 60 4 stroke on it.  I love mine though, spend heaps of time fishing from it in all sorts of conditions and haven't had any issues.  Shoot me a pm if you want to discuss anything, ill post a pic once i can get to my laptop 

• Thanks 1

When you take it for test  take note if he pumps any water out during run and how much is in it when you get back as small corrosion pin holes may not be visible but will let plenty of water in while in water

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Thanks 1

My old Savage had a few pin holes, more from heavy beaching and hitting rocks than corrosion though.

I only found them by pulling up the floor and me and the 3 kids launched the boat and tied off to the wharf and then all got in the boat to increase the weight and played draw a circle around the holes where water was coming in. Thankfully there was only 3 holes  up front near the keel and no more than 1mm each but it was amazing how much water they let in when fully loaded. Use a tube of Kneed it and all good for the next two years till I sold it.

Check for welds on the ribs when the floor is out and it will give you a idea on how much body flex it has.

Go over ferry waves to see who if will handle the chop if its a calm day

I'm betting its a late 80's model like 1988 from the look

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

got to go out in this boat yesterday. Went chasing flathead. The weather wasn't the best, but it gave me a good chance to see how it went. I was reasonably happy with it, although the pounding was quite noisy,  I guess that is the trade off from a heavier FG boat. One thing that I didn't understand was that I thought that the boat felt under powered. I thought that holeshot was poor and that it wasn't reving very high. I got 32 k/hr and 3800 RPM. A bit of research suggests that it might have the wrong sort of prop on it. I don't  know what is on it, but does this sound like something to investigate?