Gliss line

wazatherfisherman

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Tell me more Waza. What b/s is it and is it more like mono /nylon lines or braid? What are you planning to use it on? bn

Hi Neil I originally bought a 150 metre spool of 11 kg for a top-up on a 50 size baitrunner to use for night-time live bait-bobby corking down the bay. Wanted something thinner than mono as a long cast is needed at high tide in this location, normally don't fish as heavy but this spot has plenty of moored boats and the schoolies normally head straight for the anchor lines and you either turn them within 30-40 metres or you lose them. The lines structure seems more like a super thin mono even though it's of fibre construction, the manufacturers call it 'monotex' and in feel it's very similar to Berkley's "Iron Silk" mono which I've always enjoyed using (albeit in the 4lb and 6lb classes) as it travels over the guides really well. Gliss 11 kg is only .18 mm which in mono terms used to equate to 5-6 lb so it's super thin. Seems to knot easily also using hangman's- so far no slipping under load. Was so impressed at it's 'castability' that I bought a 300 metre spool of 6 kg for general spinning and it's diameter is a ridiculous .12 mm which is almost too thin for my 'degenerating' eyesight! Reason I'm asking everyone's opinion of it is mainly to see what Raiders think of it in terms of abrasion resistance/durability compared to other super fine lines. As I'm only really using this particular reel for the one purpose of corking at night , I don't want to use braid. Rob81 has already posted(and thanks Rob for your input) that although strong it frays very easily. Cheers mate Waza

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Are you referring to the WFT Gliss line? I find this line pretty thin and strong. My only issue with it, is that I find it frays very easily.

G'day Rob yes that's the stuff, although I'm using it on sand/mud bottom I wondered about it's durability/abrasion resistance. Have you been using it very long?

I have 300m of 6kg spooled on to a daiwa airdx 3000 on a 3-7kg rod. It's amazingly thin and haven't had any problems with abrasion over the past few months although because of its small diameter I tend to get a lot of guide wraps which is quite annoying. Will probably have to downsize the rod to prevent this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxxy said:

I have 300m of 6kg spooled on to a daiwa airdx 3000 on a 3-7kg rod. It's amazingly thin and haven't had any problems with abrasion over the past few months although because of its small diameter I tend to get a lot of guide wraps which is quite annoying. Will probably have to downsize the rod to prevent this. 

G'day Foxxy and thanks for your input. Yes it is amazingly thin and casts really well. I still build a few rods and have lately been playing around with the new "airwave" guide system from the U.S.A which utilizes a series of really small (ALL size 7) single leg guides that lead down to a higher framed size 10 then the actual airwave stripper which is roughly a 25 with a secondary 10mm guide attached to the tip side of the stripper, it's an unusual looking configuration, but the Yanks reckon it minimizes guide wrap while allowing (they claim) an approximate 25-30% increase in casting distance. The 'system' certainly allows a closer-to-the-blank more dynamic curve which produces the 'true' active curve of the blank. The computer imagery seems to back up their claims and for this reason I thought they looked worth a try on their recommended 7-8 foot blanks. Haven't used them enough yet for a better appraisal. Thanks again for the reply Cheers Waza

21 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day Rob yes that's the stuff, although I'm using it on sand/mud bottom I wondered about it's durability/abrasion resistance. Have you been using it very long?

Hi Waza,

I only purchased the line roughly 2 Months back now. It was in the sale bin at well-known tackle store and I just happened to be running low on my Egi outfit so I thought why not give it a try. I got the 8kgs/300m line.

Currently put onto a Stradic Ci4+ 3000 matched with a Majorcraft Crostage 832EL. Unfortunately since I bought the line I hadnt gone out to try to Squid/Calamari as often as I normal do.

However so far, my findings are:

Pros:

- Felt very strong for the diameter

- Cast's smoothly compared to other braids I've had in the past

- Not as noisy as a few lines I've had previously

Cons:

- Frays very easily, even on tying a knot. Be sure to have very sharp scissors as once I used one not as sharp and this frayed a fair bit of the line

- I've had my first experience of the line wrapping onto one of my guides during a cast in the last session, had no idea how that happen as never had this before

I've not yet had my line rub along the rocks yet so not sure what outcome Ill get when the event occurs, so I really cant say. All in all, so far I am happy with the line for the purpose I am using it for.

Also I did experience one time in my last session my knot being undo during a cast. I had a feeling my knot was slipping but my fault for not double checking. I cant be sure if it was due to the line being quiet smooth or it was myself not tying the knot 100% properly (but during the test I do after tying mainline to leader knots I always test and this came was fine at the time).

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Hi Waza,

I only purchased the line roughly 2 Months back now. It was in the sale bin at well-known tackle store and I just happened to be running low on my Egi outfit so I thought why not give it a try. I got the 8kgs/300m line.

Currently put onto a Stradic Ci4+ 3000 matched with a Majorcraft Crostage 832EL. Unfortunately since I bought the line I hadnt gone out to try to Squid/Calamari as often as I normal do.

However so far, my findings are:

Pros:

- Felt very strong for the diameter

- Cast's smoothly compared to other braids I've had in the past

- Not as noisy as a few lines I've had previously

Cons:

- Frays very easily, even on tying a knot. Be sure to have very sharp scissors as once I used one not as sharp and this frayed a fair bit of the line

- I've had my first experience of the line wrapping onto one of my guides during a cast in the last session, had no idea how that happen as never had this before

I've not yet had my line rub along the rocks yet so not sure what outcome Ill get when the event occurs, so I really cant say. All in all, so far I am happy with the line for the purpose I am using it for.

Also I did experience one time in my last session my knot being undo during a cast. I had a feeling my knot was slipping but my fault for not double checking. I cant be sure if it was due to the line being quiet smooth or it was myself not tying the knot 100% properly (but during the test I do after tying mainline to leader knots I always test and this came was fine at the time).

Cheers.

Hi Rob thanks for the detailed report, glad you are happy using it for the purpose you got it for, so far, I am too. I guess the test will come when a decent fish is on. Cheers Waza

Yeah I haven't yet landed any decent squid since I stuck the line as well. 

Also another thing to add. Prolly did depend on the conditions but I haven't really noticed much of extra casting distance with this. So I heard you get more out of the cast but hasn't really affected me.

5 hours ago, Rob81 said:

Yeah I haven't yet landed any decent squid since I stuck the line as well. 

Also another thing to add. Prolly did depend on the conditions but I haven't really noticed much of extra casting distance with this. So I heard you get more out of the cast but hasn't really affected me.

I'm not really a braid/superline enthusiast preferring to use mono for most types of fishing other than lures and deep-sea bait fishing but am impressed at the fineness and long casting of Gliss. It reminds me of Berkeley "Iron Silk" mono which is a good casting line

Yeah I used to be mainly on mono many years back. But then I switched over. I like sensitiveness of braid over mono. But once in a while I wish I had a bit more stretch like mono. All depends on the environment and stuff.

• Like 1

Onto my 5th spool of 4kg gliss in 2 years. I use it on 2 setups with 6lb or 9lb fluro leader via fg knot which has rarely failed. Using mainly soft plastics and un/lightly weighted baits gliss has braid-like lack of stretch so you feel every bump and it floats well which is handy. It feels like i can cast 30 percent further with gliss which I reckon has definitely improved my results. I've caught a fair few rainbow trout, bream, blackfish, trevally, snapper and flathead in rough terrain and lost a few but never one of those devastating unexplained mysterious line partings on good fish. It frays lightly after 12 hours or so use but doesn't seem to affect its strength in my experience. Very rarely tangles once you get the right balance between overfill and underfill of the spool which I find hard as when spooling up 150 mtr of gliss it takes up as much space as 40mtr of 8lb mono. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toilor3000 said:

Onto my 5th spool of 4kg gliss in 2 years. I use it on 2 setups with 6lb or 9lb fluro leader via fg knot which has rarely failed. Using mainly soft plastics and un/lightly weighted baits gliss has braid-like lack of stretch so you feel every bump and it floats well which is handy. It feels like i can cast 30 percent further with gliss which I reckon has definitely improved my results. I've caught a fair few rainbow trout, bream, blackfish, trevally, snapper and flathead in rough terrain and lost a few but never one of those devastating unexplained mysterious line partings on good fish. It frays lightly after 12 hours or so use but doesn't seem to affect its strength in my experience. Very rarely tangles once you get the right balance between overfill and underfill of the spool which I find hard as when spooling up 150 mtr of gliss it takes up as much space as 40mtr of 8lb mono. 

Thanks for the detailed report! That's a good recommendation I'm happy with it so far also. Still can't believe the fineness and extra casting distance! Cheers Toilor