Bellambi Reds #2

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Headed out today to Bellambi again solo following our first trip two weeks ago.

Arrived just on first light to find a ridiculously low tide....only 1 of 4 launch lanes at the ramp were usable, the one furthest from the jetty (of which, only a small section at the deeper end was usable for tying off). There was a slight backwash coming from the waves hitting the rocks/beach further west. All made more difficult being a solo launch !

Luckily prior to my solo trip I had read a post by @recurve that was posted some time ago about Bellambi ramp which proved to be a life saver. Definitely made getting underway a lot more manageable and safer.....thanks recurve..your a legend.

Finally got out to the marks we fished last time and managed two nice reds at 60cm and 45cm, with a nice big squid which I kept for salt and pepper sometime this week.

The reds fell victim to whole pilchard floated down on a ball sinker. interestingly......paternoster was a total failure today with no fish.

During the day I encountered whales swimming by, a pelican who followed me for 2 hours until I gave him a XXL sergeant baker to eat, and a seal which got curious about my sea anchor and swam about the back of the boat for 15 mins.

All the perks that make a great days fishing.

The larger of the snapper went into the oven for a traditional middle eastern baked dish which was DELICIOUS, served with a traditional sauce and roasted potato, and tabouli. ....perfect. I will post up the recipe for the sauce and encourage everyone to give it a try at some point.

20180704_162911.jpg

20180704_133225(0).jpg

• Like 7

TAHINI SAUCE 

Can be served with any fish, but preferably fish with larger fillets of white flesh (kingfish, jewfish, snapper, bream)

Ingredients

- 6 tablespoons of Tahini Sauce - can be purchased in supermarkets and some woolworths stores

- Two lemons, juiced fresh

- 1 X teaspoon of red chilli powder

- 1 clove of garlic, crushed/pressed

- 1.5 cups of water

- 2 X teaspoons of salt

Method

Place 6 tablespoons of tahini sauce in a mixing bowl, slowly and gradually add water and lemon juice, stirring mixture whilst doing so. This is important as if you add all the water and lemon juice in one go the tahini will separate and become clumpy. when finished add salt, garlic and chilli and finish mixing.

Place mixture in a small pot with low heat, bring to boil slowly whilst stirring. Again, very important to slow boil and must stir, as the sauce will get clumpy. Boil until the sauce has a runny but firm texture, almost like gravy.

You can add more/less chilli depending on your preference. Corriander and baked pine nuts can also be added as garnishing though I didn't have any at home today so not in the image above.

bon appetite

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, barnzey said:

Well done GF, nice fish for this time of year with calamari to go with it. Lucky the seal didn't turn up earlier to take your catch!

cheers mate, ha ! that definitely would have ruined my day haha

Guest Guest123456789
11 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

TAHINI SAUCE 

Can be served with any fish, but preferably fish with larger fillets of white flesh (kingfish, jewfish, snapper, bream)

Ingredients

- 6 tablespoons of Tahini Sauce - can be purchased in supermarkets and some woolworths stores

- Two lemons, juiced fresh

- 1 X teaspoon of red chilli powder

- 1 clove of garlic, crushed/pressed

- 1.5 cups of water

- 2 X teaspoons of salt

Method

Place 6 tablespoons of tahini sauce in a mixing bowl, slowly and gradually add water and lemon juice, stirring mixture whilst doing so. This is important as if you add all the water and lemon juice in one go the tahini will separate and become clumpy. when finished add salt, garlic and chilli and finish mixing.

Place mixture in a small pot with low heat, bring to boil slowly whilst stirring. Again, very important to slow boil and must stir, as the sauce will get clumpy. Boil until the sauce has a runny but firm texture, almost like gravy.

You can add more/less chilli depending on your preference. Corriander and baked pine nuts can also be added as garnishing though I didn't have any at home today so not in the image above.

bon appetite

Nice recipe, that sauce sounds like it would go great with bbq red meat too? I reckon some sumac as well would work. I’ll give it a go

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice recipe, that sauce sounds like it would go great with bbq red meat too? I reckon some sumac as well would work. I’ll give it a go

Thanks Luke. When you say red meat do you mean beef/lamb or red fish meat like salmon/tuna.

It goes very nicely with salmon.

18 minutes ago, DaveBM said:

Nice work (fishing and cooking)

Sounds like a recipe for tarator, but with water instead of yoghurt.

Thanks mate. Yes very close to tarator !!! In fact when i finished it yesterday the wife asked me why i made tarator to eat with the fish !!! 

52 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Sam and great report! It’s always satisfying to go out solo and come up trumps! Do you ever fish with sps chasing snapper? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers scratchie... have not tried soft plastics for snapper ! Fishing in 35-40m deep water is that possible?. If so i would love some tips as well as recommendations on lure and jighead size for that depth.

42 minutes ago, Rah said:

Nice mate. 

Will have to give that sauce a try too. :)

Thanks Rah, please do....u wont be dissappointed!

On 7/5/2018 at 12:55 PM, GoingFishing said:

Cheers scratchie... have not tried soft plastics for snapper ! Fishing in 35-40m deep water is that possible?. If so i would love some tips as well as recommendations on lure and jighead size for that depth.

Definitely possible to fish for snaps on sps in that depth. Most of mine are in 10-25m of water but there are a few areas I fish that are 30-40m. 

In that instance I use the same outfit. 20lb line 20lb leader but use either a 3/8 or 1/2oz 5/0 jig depending on the amount of current. A 7inch zman shad or gulp should do the trick. If you find you are getting hits but not hooking up drop the sp size to a 5inch. 

Remember snapper inhabit the entire water column but most of my good fish come from the top 2/3rds. Imparting very little action at all on the sp is the key. They will mostly hit it on the drop. Maintain contact with your line and every now and then give it a long hop. 

Finding bait is also another must. Snapper are opportunistic feeders and will often sit under bait schools looking for an easy feed. Cast into a school and let your sp waft underneath them. 

One other tip, is that snapper are very easily spooked. Try not to drive over the area you intend to drift. Take a wide birth of this area every time you reset your drift. 

Patience is the key! It does take a while to perfect but is very rewarding once you do! 

Hope that helps Sam! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Definitely possible to fish for snaps on sps in that depth. Most of mine are in 10-25m of water but there are a few areas I fish that are 30-40m. 

In that instance I use the same outfit. 20lb line 20lb leader but use either a 3/8 or 1/2oz 5/0 jig depending on the amount of current. A 7inch zman shad or gulp should do the trick. If you find you are getting hits but not hooking up drop the sp size to a 5inch. 

Remember snapper inhabit the entire water column but most of my good fish come from the top 2/3rds. Imparting very little action at all on the sp is the key. They will mostly hit it on the drop. Maintain contact with your line and every now and then give it a long hop. 

Finding bait is also another must. Snapper are opportunistic feeders and will often sit under bait schools looking for an easy feed. Cast into a school and let your sp waft underneath them. 

One other tip, is that snapper are very easily spooked. Try not to drive over the area you intend to drift. Take a wide birth of this area every time you reset your drift. 

Patience is the key! It does take a while to perfect but is very rewarding once you do! 

Hope that helps Sam! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie for imparting your wisdom. Appreciate your advice. Do you usually burley for them at that depth?

When u say top 2/3rds do u mean u avoid having baits down the bottom near seabed ? 

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks Scratchie for imparting your wisdom. Appreciate your advice. Do you usually burley for them at that depth?

When u say top 2/3rds do u mean u avoid having baits down the bottom near seabed ? 

I don’t use burley or bait to fish for them at all. Just lures! 

If and when I do use bait, I’m usually anchored and fishing back towards structure. Floating a lightly weighted or unweighted bait down the burley trail. 

Occasionally I will use a large cooked prawn on a jig head. But don’t tell anyone that method. It has take many a good fish! ?

As Scratchie mentioned, he gets most of his Snapper in the top 2/3 of the water. To add to that point the good catch of reds I got last week were from being anchored up in 35-40 m of water and with a bit of current we only used whole pilchards with no lead or the size of a pea and were spewing up berley in the boat.

G'day going fishing:

Nice couple of snapper a mate & I are heading out of bellambi this Thursday will post report after the event. I suppose no signs of cuttle fish spawning yet as you did't mention them. Could you tell me what depth you where fishing if you don't mind.Have heard a lot of different reports about where they are as far as depth goes.

Cheers

Indepth (Tom)

On 7/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, nipper said:

As Scratchie mentioned, he gets most of his Snapper in the top 2/3 of the water. To add to that point the good catch of reds I got last week were from being anchored up in 35-40 m of water and with a bit of current we only used whole pilchards with no lead or the size of a pea and were spewing up berley in the boat.

Thanks the advice mate much appreciated ?

On 7/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, sam bros said:

Great report and I really like that recipe

Will be sure to give it a go next time

Cheers sam...give it a try and let me know what you think ! Dont forget to throw some roasted pine nuts...gives it that little extra 

On 7/9/2018 at 1:49 PM, indepth said:

G'day going fishing:

Nice couple of snapper a mate & I are heading out of bellambi this Thursday will post report after the event. I suppose no signs of cuttle fish spawning yet as you did't mention them. Could you tell me what depth you where fishing if you don't mind.Have heard a lot of different reports about where they are as far as depth goes.

Cheers

Indepth (Tom)

Hi mate sorry if im late. I fished directly east of Bellambi bay in about 30-35m

I had a XXXL cuttlefish hold onto a bait all the way up to the surface but no didnt boat any....messy bastards those things especially at that size

Edited by GoingFishing