J0nn0

10 year warranty on evinrude

Recommended Posts

Hey folks 

just seen that evinrude will be offering a 10 year warranty for all outboards purchased at this years boat shows.

Also looks like telwater will match the 10 year warranty offer with complete boat and trailer packages, assuming with evinrude outboards, meaning the whole package will be covered with a 10 year warranty, just thought I would share for anyone thinking of a new package in the near future.

 

Cheers

Jonno

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now just to convince the missus I need that centre cab... 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better to ask for forgiveness, not permission, can’t return it once you buy it, the missus will forgive eventually, maybe

 

either way, you get yourself a new boat 😎

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thats amazing......a testament to how confident Evinrude (and Telwater) are in the ETEC product.....

Edited by GoingFishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a 90hp etec on a Quintrex 510 Ocean Sport.

Best motor I have ever had with range, being quiet and performance. 

Looking at now buying a Top Ender but want it with an etec - not a 4 stroke...........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sydney south said:

Have a 90hp etec on a Quintrex 510 Ocean Sport.

Best motor I have ever had with range, being quiet and performance. 

Looking at now buying a Top Ender but want it with an etec - not a 4 stroke...........

Yeah, I reckon I’ll get an ETEC next time, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, I reckon I’ll get an ETEC next time, too.

How are they on oil consumption?  I hear its expensive stuff.  How many Litres of oil per litres of fuel or does it depend on certain things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a 130hp on a 560 barcrusher if I’m doing a lot of trolling with short runs (20 mins here and there) I get easily 60hours + out of one container, where as a long range trip (10+ hrs) off the shelf and all day trolling with swell & current there’s not much oil left, 300hr or 3year servicing + oil is I guess comparable to 4stroke servicing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fishop said:

How are they on oil consumption?  I hear its expensive stuff.  How many Litres of oil per litres of fuel or does it depend on certain things.

I havent really thought about it! I think I’ve bought 2 bottles in the 4 1/2 years I’ve had it, in addition to any put in (if any) in the 2 services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just put my 3rd bottle in so I have used 2.5 bottles in 75hrs, so about 9ltrs in 2.5yrs.

servicing is now yearly if you want the extra warranty, 3yrs or 300hrs is gone now.

mine is 2016 and I had the option 3yrs / 300hrs and 3yr warranty or yearly service and 5yrs warranty.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I just put my 3rd bottle in so I have used 2.5 bottles in 75hrs, so about 9ltrs in 2.5yrs.

servicing is now yearly if you want the extra warranty, 3yrs or 300hrs is gone now.

mine is 2016 and I had the option 3yrs / 300hrs and 3yr warranty or yearly service and 5yrs warranty.

I had the 3 year service, then I went for the 4th year service (a few months late) and still had a part replaced under warranty. I can’t fault my ETEC. 😎

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have a 150hp G2 on my 6200 Yellowfin and it is great on petrol and therefore also great on oil consumption.

An average day consists of a morning troll along the cliffs followed by bottom bashing various spots between manly and long reef.

During this we will drift over spots a number of times and mke at least 5-6 moves.

Average trip consumes 30L of petrol

I bought my boat in November and have now clocked 90 hours (aha) and only put 2 bottles in. 

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to mention in my earlier post the oil consumption is based on my annual trip to jyndabine chasing trout and using 0.8 litres of fuel an hour when trolling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I just put my 3rd bottle in so I have used 2.5 bottles in 75hrs, so about 9ltrs in 2.5yrs.

servicing is now yearly if you want the extra warranty, 3yrs or 300hrs is gone now.

mine is 2016 and I had the option 3yrs / 300hrs and 3yr warranty or yearly service and 5yrs warranty.

From the above example, it's clear they are offering the extended warranty because it works out better to have more warranty returns but they can make more with the extra services and have a better looking selling point at the same time. Let me guess, you can only get it serviced by them?

I don't think the extra warranty has anything to do with how much more confident they are in their product. In the end, if you want your extra long warranty, you are actually paying extra to have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not surprised- my neighbour has several evinrudes, some he estimates are 60 years old and still going strong.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

From the above example, it's clear they are offering the extended warranty because it works out better to have more warranty returns but they can make more with the extra services and have a better looking selling point at the same time. Let me guess, you can only get it serviced by them?

I don't think the extra warranty has anything to do with how much more confident they are in their product. In the end, if you want your extra long warranty, you are actually paying extra to have it.

I dont know any boat owner who doesnt do a service at least yearly irrespective of outboard brand??? So i dont really understand your point?

Evinrude/Telwater make no money from servicing apart from selling spares (no different to any other manufacturer).

Etecs can be serviced at any etec approved dealer or service centre. To that extent it is the private business profiting from the service and not the manufacturer. 

So what your suggesting is that Evinrude Telwater would stick their neck on the line for an extra 5  years just so other businesses doing the repairs can make money??? I doubt it..............

Its a ballsy offer which also seeks to extinguish some of the garbage rumors spread by the competion that "2 strokes only last 2 yrs blah blah or the powerhead blew up after only 50 hrs blah blah

U dont make a committment of 10 years warranty without knowing that the product is reliable full stop

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would of thought any outboard mechanic with the right tooling using good quality parts at the recommended intervals could perform the service on an etec keeping the warranty valid.

  After all you don't need to service your car at holden etc if that's  where you bought it new.You CAN go qualified independant mechanic that uses quality parts fitted correctly keeping any warranty intact.

As an exampld my Kia has 7yrs warranty and ive never taken it back to them since i bought it new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I would of thought any outboard mechanic with the right tooling using good quality parts at the recommended intervals could perform the service on an etec keeping the warranty valid.

  After all you don't need to service your car at holden etc if that's  where you bought it new.You CAN go qualified independant mechanic that uses quality parts fitted correctly keeping any warranty intact.

As an exampld my Kia has 7yrs warranty and ive never taken it back to them since i bought it new.

You’d assume that, wouldn’t you?! I guess if they use genuine parts, are trained in the models and have the appropriate computer software, then it should be OK.

However, I had an experience with my Nissan XTrail which I bought used from a local Holden (and other makes) dealer. It came with an extended warranty (Harrier service program). They did an injector service and it never ran right afterwards - the engine would idle at 1700-1900 rpm and I was chewing through petrol! Took it back twice and still no fix. Rang my mate who is the service manager for a local Nissan dealer (and other makes). I took it in to him and it was rectified at no charge - he said they would have had generic software or had not updated. I assume he billed the original dealer for the job. My mate was a great help when I bought the car. He test drove it and said the clutch was on its way out. The dealer told me there was nothing wrong with it. He rang the other service manager and told him exactly what was wrong with it and they replaced the whole clutch before I picked it up.

Having said that, I just had a 200,000km service done at a local repairer in the Bay. He used genuine parts and had the latest software - no problems and heaps cheaper than a dealer. I also would have to drive an hour to get to a dealer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 2:14 PM, GoingFishing said:

Evinrude/Telwater make no money from servicing apart from selling spares (no different to any other manufacturer).

Not so sure about that-parts is where the dollars is- most car manufacturers and I would imagine most builders of any sort of complex machinery have very profitable spare parts business's, cant imagine that BRP arent doing well out of this. Reliability or otherwise BRP are fighting against a changing tide, its my understanding that market share of all 2 strokes has declined in the USA (hence Mercury's move to 4) and is predicicted to decline more. Sometimes perception is more important that reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all...the japanese manufacturers have patents for fuel injected 2 strokes ready to go.they are waiting for the market that is not ready yet to change.ktm have released a fuel injected 2 stroke that meet the latest euro emmisions.2 strokes will be back with a vengance.

motor bike sales are also down world wide.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Not so sure about that-parts is where the dollars is- most car manufacturers and I would imagine most builders of any sort of complex machinery have very profitable spare parts business's, cant imagine that BRP arent doing well out of this. Reliability or otherwise BRP are fighting against a changing tide, its my understanding that market share of all 2 strokes has declined in the USA (hence Mercury's move to 4) and is predicicted to decline more. Sometimes perception is more important that reality.

I think you and i are saying the same thing? (BRP would be profiting from sales of spare parts) but not the labour..ie the servicing 

Agree perception is everything

PS. from what i have understood Evinrude sales in USA are going gangbusters.....and sales on the other 2 strokes are in decline (mercury/yamaha etc). I think thats because boaters in general see Yammies nd mercs brands as a 4 stroke product......ie most people who buy Yammies and Mercs favour the 4 stroke technology 

Edited by GoingFishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I would of thought any outboard mechanic with the right tooling using good quality parts at the recommended intervals could perform the service on an etec keeping the warranty valid.

  After all you don't need to service your car at holden etc if that's  where you bought it new.You CAN go qualified independant mechanic that uses quality parts fitted correctly keeping any warranty intact.

As an exampld my Kia has 7yrs warranty and ive never taken it back to them since i bought it new.

 

I could be wrong but from what I have read, you have to get your E-Tec serviced at an "authorised service centre" to keep the warranty. I'm not sure who that means exactly? What are their rates and charges on parts, oils etc to service an E-Tec?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

 

I could be wrong but from what I have read, you have to get your E-Tec serviced at an "authorised service centre" to keep the warranty. I'm not sure who that means exactly? What are their rates and charges on parts, oils etc to service an E-Tec?

Well,if i owned one id like it in writting where and where not i could service it without voiding the warranty. I think you'll find its illegal for them to tell you you must have it serviced by them as long as the guidelines i stated above are followed.

If anyone finds out please post it here so others know where they stand on the matter.

 Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Well,if i owned one id like it in writting where and where not i could service it without voiding the warranty. I think you'll find its illegal for them to tell you you must have it serviced by them as long as the guidelines i stated above are followed.

If anyone finds out please post it here so others know where they stand on the matter.

 Thanks.

My Suzuki 60 I purchased about 5 years ago had a 5 year warranty but had to be serviced by a Suzuki dealer only. It was written in the terms and conditions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

 

I could be wrong but from what I have read, you have to get your E-Tec serviced at an "authorised service centre" to keep the warranty. I'm not sure who that means exactly? What are their rates and charges on parts, oils etc to service an E-Tec?

I’ll check my receipts tonight for my last services and give you some prices. I have no problem having my motor serviced at an “authorised service centre”. This should ensure that mechanic is correctly trained and accredited in serving the motor you have. I’ve had a few Volkswagens - I wouldn’t take them to a mechanic who only ever worked on Holdens, Fords or rice burners!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      62,610
    • Total Posts
      496,821