Black queen deluxe

Loomesy

Hi all

Have been having a bit of a tidy up and came across one of dads old rods.  It's a Jarvis Walker black queen deluxe solid fibre glass with cork grips about 8ft long. It's still in really good condition and I was wondering what these rods were used to target.  This rod would be easily 40 years old and if anyone has information on what fish they were used to target would be great. 

Cheers Loomesy 

G'day Loomesy the Black Queen and Black Queen Deluxe were very popular as estuary Luderick rods mainly used in NSW by boat Luderick fisho's in the 60's-70's.  They were also popular with Trout fishermen who fished with bait as they are super slow taper and very soft tipped. The Deluxe had "Aqua-lite" guides which were 'revolutionary' at the time as they provided a much smoother and 'friction-free' surface for the line to run over. From memory, a few variations came out, some had a full set of Aqua-lite guides and tip, others only had an Aqua-lite stripping guide and chromed guides. You could fish with 4lb line on them and find it difficult to break through the rod, hence their popularity as an 'off-the-rack' Luderick(Blackfish in those days!) rod. All those old Jarvis Walker Solid Glass Rods were so well constructed(materials -wise) they'll probably still be just as useful in another 50 years time as they're virtually indestructible. Great that you have a nice conditioned one, it's a piece of our 'fishing heritage' and would be fun to use with a centre-pin for Luderick. Mullet or Garfish. Cheers Waza

• Like 2

Thank you Waza for the detailed use and history of this rod.  I will definitely source a centre pin reel and give it a go. 

Thank you again. The information is much appreciated. True FR spirit 

Cheers Loomesy 

• Like 2

Black Queen was my first fishing rod when I was about 10 years old . I'm just about 60 now and still have it. Gone through a couple of rebuilds over the years....the rod that is :)

Jim...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jot said:

Black Queen was my first fishing rod when I was about 10 years old . I'm just about 60 now and still have it. Gone through a couple of rebuilds over the years....the rod that is :)

Jim...

I'm nearly 57 and my first two rods were both Jarvis Walker's- a "Swansea" 3 piece 9 foot Blackfish and a "Burnie Deluxe" 2 piece 5 and a half foot "all purpose"(ha!)- still have the Burnie Deluxe. Cast the tip section of the Swansea off with a lure in amongst a huge school of Tailor next to Fort Denison and a blasted Tailor bit the lure off only a couple of feet from the hire-boat. I was devastated :1crybaby:

• Like 1