Bermagui On A Quiet Monday

Vara

Decided it was time to head down to Bermagui for a fish. Have been wanting to do forever and never been. Have read all the great stories over the years so thought it was about time to do it.

Having not been there and given was a one day hit and run mission I booked a charter to try and maximise my chances. Actually Brett was the only one of the three charters that I called who called me back and I am glad he did.

So it was just me and my 12 year old until Sunday when I invited a mate and his son.

Headed out at about 7am with high hopes after hearing some good schools of bluefin were around the day before (nice 30kg to 40kg fish). Hit the Bluefin zone and started trolling. About an hour or so in and the call came through that a boat had them up around their boat. You beauty. Only 8 miles away. The young boys were on edge as they were getting harnesses fitted in anticipation of what we hoped was to come.

When we hit the spot there were about 6 other boats already there. No fish showing on the sounder and all seemed quiet but one bloke was on.

Started cubing and then bang we are on. Kye, my mates 11 year old was on that rod so away he went. He pulled up a nice 32kg fish. then another and this time my boy was on. After a good fight, the boys did really well, up comes a nice 35kg specimen.

Then it went quiet. Only 6 fish were landed in that patch, thankfully 2 by our boys. Dads content to see the smiles on their faces.

So about 11.30am and seemingly all quiet with what I am told must have been a small school we had two choices. Start the troll and look for more fin or try something else. As a blue eye fan I asked the skipper how far the blue eye grounds were. He told me a 3 hour troll. the best news was the first two hours of that troll was still reliable bluefin waters. So we made a call to hedge our bets and start trolling to the blue eye grounds.

Listening to the radio the entire way the bluefin were nowhere to be seen for the day. Arriving at the blue eye grounds we thought great all and it was.

No sooner had the baits hit the bottom of 450m of water and we were on. A really nice fish. But on the way up the mako destroyed it. Another rod went down and this time on the way down the baits were mauled.

For the next hour and half we caught 6 more blue eye with no sign of a mako thankfully. We also got a couple of nice Frosty's not to be confused with a coldie. Dropped a deep bait about 200m down and bang on. this time a 90 - 100kg mako. Great fun and great fight. It left the water at one point about a metre and a half up.

Left the blue eye grounds on dark. Skipper and crew never once said time to go. They were awesome.

Back at the docks crew cleaned the fish and we took some pics so that friends and family could share in what was an awesome day.

Will 100% be back down to see Brett and the crew in the years to come.

And what an awesome part of the world.

Best to all.

vara

Joel Blue Eye.jpg

Boys Day Out.jpg

Tuna Time.jpg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
PM FOR NAME OF CHARTER IF REQUIRED
  • Like 11