New to Squidding

SydneyIsSkyBlue

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster! ?

Following a spontaneous fishing trip on the Port Hacking a few weeks ago and witnessing an old timer squid fishing, I left intrigued and began reading up on it all. Fast forward a few weeks and I'm hoping to give it a crack.

I am an absolute rookie when it comes to this, but using this setup with an old rod I have:

- Tairyo 7', 1 piece 4-6kg graphite rod

- Stradic Ci4+ 2500fa spinning reel

- Shimano Sephia squid jigs (orange, pink and pilly)

I am thinking of heading down to Gymea Bay baths to try my luck. Has anyone got any other location recommendations I could also try?

I have also been looking at some of the Egi rods, but have been told by a family friend who's a keen fisherman that I'm wasting my time and money - keen for others thoughts though.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated ? Looking forward to being part of this community!

Happy fishing!

6 minutes ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Would you guys recommend starting with an Egi rod?

Also, for those who have gone squidding at Gymea Bay baths, is it best to try in the baths, out in front of the jetty towards the boats or on the right hand side of the jetty?

Thanks! :)

I wouldn’t bother with an egi rod to start with although my landbased squid experience is fairly minimal.

The squid are right through he Hacking so anywhere there is a bit of sea grass or kelp around you are in with a chance.

Keep your eyes out for ink stains on the wharf where you are fishing, that will give you some idea if squid have been caught in the area recently. 

Any light spin rod will do the job but I prefer 7+ft long to improve distance.   I fish Hacking for them often and find the further upstream you go the more river (arrow) sqid and closer to ocean the more callamari you get.  Some of the rocks near ocean and fronting ocean can be good but you can lose jigs to reef and of cause only when sea conditions are safe to fish.

They are possible from most wharves such as yowie bay, lilli pilli and wallies wharf etc.  Any erea close to deep water with grass weed, kelp or reef is worth a try.  Jigs from 1.8 to 2.5 usually best with 3.5 ok in deeper areas.

Hi SydneyIsSkyBlue,

Firstly I've been squidding (pretty successfully I think) for over a decade and have helped a few other people over the years improve their technique. Secondly, I have to confess I haven't owned or used an EGI rod so I am not sure what makes them so different to normal rods (I suspect they have a softer tip) but my gut feeling is you are wasting your time getting one unless all you plan to do is squid jigging.

For squidding I use two of my rods. My Shimano 762 bream finesse with 4lb braid for most of my jigging. Alternatively in areas I believe I might get snagged up badly I use my Shimano 762 Snapper with 15lb braid to pull the lure clear of the weeds or similar. Some of my jigs are up to about $20 

I think the outfit you have already have will work quite well if you have a good technique. I like a lot of short sharp darts to get a squids attention followed by pauses to give the squid the chance to grab the lure. Fish as close to the weeds as you can without snagging up. If you get the chance go back through my posts on squidding as I have done a fair few over the years and I'd rather not re-type it again.

Good luck and work an area well then move along and try another. Squid are pretty mobile and 15 minutes might make all the difference. People talk about good squidding spot as though the squid will be there any time you choose to fish for them. Look for weed and sand patches as a good starting point. If you go to a wharf and see black ink marks then squid have been caught there.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi SydneyIsSkyBlue,

Firstly I've been squidding (pretty successfully I think) for over a decade and have helped a few other people over the years improve their technique. Secondly, I have to confess I haven't owned or used an EGI rod so I am not sure what makes them so different to normal rods (I suspect they have a softer tip) but my gut feeling is you are wasting your time getting one unless all you plan to do is squid jigging.

For squidding I use two of my rods. My Shimano 762 bream finesse with 4lb braid for most of my jigging. Alternatively in areas I believe I might get snagged up badly I use my Shimano 762 Snapper with 15lb braid to pull the lure clear of the weeds or similar. Some of my jigs are up to about $20 

I think the outfit you have already have will work quite well if you have a good technique. I like a lot of short sharp darts to get a squids attention followed by pauses to give the squid the chance to grab the lure. Fish as close to the weeds as you can without snagging up. If you get the chance go back through my posts on squidding as I have done a fair few over the years and I'd rather not re-type it again.

Good luck and work an area well then move along and try another. Squid are pretty mobile and 15 minutes might make all the difference. People talk about good squidding spot as though the squid will be there any time you choose to fish for them. Look for weed and sand patches as a good starting point. If you go to a wharf and see black ink marks then squid have been caught there.

Regards,

Derek

Hi Derek,

Thanks very much for all your insight mate, it is much appreciated. Some really good info there and keen to have a look through your older posts as well (saves you re-typing it all).

One question I have is regarding the retrieve. I've watched a few videos of retrieval techniques when squidding and the common theme seems to be short, sharp jolts followed by the pause to allow the jig to dive back down to the bottom. Now I understand this is the time that the squid strike, but during this pause phase, what is it exactly that you will feel when there is a squid attacking it? I assume it feels very different to a fish hitting a hook, but are you looking more for the line to tension or will you feel that pulling motion (similar to a flathead)? Further to that, in order to actually hook the squid, is it a gentle jagging motion (so that you don't rip the flesh) or will a quick lift of the rod be enough for the barbs to catch the squid?

Thanks again mate - much appreciated!

I always keep an eye on where the line goes into the water. I'll often see the take before I feel it.  But if you do miss it don't fret.  Next jerk you do you will feel the weight. If you do, it is only one of two things. Squid or snag.  Lift the to enough to keep tension on and wind steadily.  When you get back to the jetty I recommend netting them.  If you try lifting then out of the water you run the risk of just ending up with one of the candles as the rest of your Salt and pepper squid drops back into the water. 

• Like 1

Hi SydneyIsSkyBlue,

Also covered in some of my posts. ?

Anyway - I had an eye opening experience years ago watching a rather big squid stalking my jig in shallow water. It was surprisingly hesitant and whenever I twitched the jig it would let go. After about 5 times of doing this I decided to set the jig with a short sharp jab. This technique has been working for me ever since. I fish braid and once in a while I come back with the tip of a tentacle but not often enough for me to consider changing retrieve style.

As Kiwicraig said an indication of them taking the jig is a straightening of the line but I find this happens maybe 1 in 10 times I catch them. I find the short sharp flick will set the jig and it will feel like a snag till it starts pulsing about every 2 seconds (water in - water out). If using braid you will feel the bump of a fish as they have a boney structure. You won't feel the hit of a squid as their body is so rubbery. In sandy areas don't be afraid of letting the jig hit the bottom - you'd be surprised at how many takes happen there.

I understand your excitement and I will happily fill in any gaps after you have read my past posts (they go back years).

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kiwicraig said:

I always keep an eye on where the line goes into the water. I'll often see the take before I feel it.  But if you do miss it don't fret.  Next jerk you do you will feel the weight. If you do, it is only one of two things. Squid or snag.  Lift the to enough to keep tension on and wind steadily.  When you get back to the jetty I recommend netting them.  If you try lifting then out of the water you run the risk of just ending up with one of the candles as the rest of your Salt and pepper squid drops back into the water. 

8 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi SydneyIsSkyBlue,

Also covered in some of my posts. ?

Anyway - I had an eye opening experience years ago watching a rather big squid stalking my jig in shallow water. It was surprisingly hesitant and whenever I twitched the jig it would let go. After about 5 times of doing this I decided to set the jig with a short sharp jab. This technique has been working for me ever since. I fish braid and once in a while I come back with the tip of a tentacle but not often enough for me to consider changing retrieve style.

As Kiwicraig said an indication of them taking the jig is a straightening of the line but I find this happens maybe 1 in 10 times I catch them. I find the short sharp flick will set the jig and it will feel like a snag till it starts pulsing about every 2 seconds (water in - water out). If using braid you will feel the bump of a fish as they have a boney structure. You won't feel the hit of a squid as their body is so rubbery. In sandy areas don't be afraid of letting the jig hit the bottom - you'd be surprised at how many takes happen there.

I understand your excitement and I will happily fill in any gaps after you have read my past posts (they go back years).

Regards,

Derek

Thanks guys. The feedback is much appreciated and super helpful for a rookie like myself! 

This may well be covered in older posts, but is there a way of determining water depth if land-based? 

As for the older posts Derek, where can I find these?

48 minutes ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Thanks guys. The feedback is much appreciated and super helpful for a rookie like myself! 

This may well be covered in older posts, but is there a way of determining water depth if land-based? 

I think most people count as the various jigs will have differing sink rates.   If you aren’t getting snagged on the weed or kelp occasionally the jig isn’t getting deep enough.

Start with a cheap jig to get a feel for the area.

51 minutes ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Also if you look at recent posts of @rickmarlin62   He has reports containing his tips for squid fishing from a wharf using a float. 

I’ve been having a go at squid fishing the last few months with Yamashita R egi sutte in size 2.5 & 3.0 off the rocks they have a sink rate of 4.5/seconds to 3.5/seconds per metre where I usually count 10 to 15 seconds & then give them a double flick & count 5 secs then start a slow retrieve for about 5 to 10 winds & then repeat flicks and wind back to shore and recast, alternatively I’ll cast out & countdown and then wind back to shore (by wind I mean really really slow). I mix both technics to find what’s working on the day. Most of the squid have been jagged near the beak but on the outside of the tentacles, occasionally I’ve got the odd one by the candles (mainly smaller ones).A rising tide or the last of the run out and dusk and dawn seem to be prime time, in saying that I’ve caught quite a few in quick succession during the middle of a sunny day a couple of times.A lot of the takes have been during the countdown and when going to lift as Derek said feels like a snag & then pulsing surge, and like all fishing I’ve had quite a few donuts and have lost a few jigs when not focussed especially around reedy structure 

Hi Again,

Click on my profile then look for activity and then look for posts. There are about 11 pages of posts so you will have to go back a bit.

I also copied three backlinks for squidding into some advice I did for kingfish. Click in link below and then find post with three more links.

Edited by DerekD

12 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Thanks @DerekD ?

Jigs arrived in the mail today so hoping to get out there and give it a crack very soon.

Has anyone had experience with Egimax spray or shell sheets? Is it overkill or have you had positive experiences with them on your squid jigs?

Hi Again,

Regarding your query about EGI max spray or similar my suggestion is unless you have already bought some then don’t bother or at least hold off on it for now. When I started learning about squid jigging I tried some prawn scent. It seemed to stain the jigs and worst of all being a liquid it made a break for it in my fishing bag.

I’m not saying that they don’t work. There are companies that spend hundreds or thousands of hours developing and testing these products or alternatively just put it out there with the philosophy “build it and they will come”. ?

In one sense any advantage is worth it (why I use glow in the dark jigs) and it is also a confidence builder. Problem is as a user you would have to test scented and unscented side by side for years to see if it made a difference. The other thing is you will never know if the scent made just enough difference to catch that squid you just landed or would you have caught it anyway. I was fortunate enough that one of my local tackle stores put a squid jigging presentation on years ago with a presenter from Japan (I’d consider the Japanese the leaders on most developments in this field as from everything I have read it is an obsession over there) . They showed us a squid jig which was over 300 years old from Japan with a coin as a weight. They talked about the theory behind colour selection based on water clarity and what time of day. I believe Yamashita makes a table to assist with this. BTW the Japanese will even seed the squid grounds with materials to which the squid can fasten their eggs.

The gear we get access to these days has had a lot of development behind it. What I am trying to say in my usual long winded way is get the basics right (selection of gear and more importantly retrieval techniques) first then try this other stuff. I’ve fished for squid side by side with a number of fishing mates and it is not often I get out fished so I am pretty confident in that what I do works.

Are you located anywhere near the lower north shore? If you are up for it we could head out shore based one day on a weekend. Spend a bit of time working on it yourself first based on the advice you have been picking up as you might have your own “aha” moment which makes all the difference for you and I might learn something new too. It is also fun working some things out at your own pace first.

Regards,

Derek

19 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Again,

Regarding your query about EGI max spray or similar my suggestion is unless you have already bought some then don’t bother or at least hold off on it for now. When I started learning about squid jigging I tried some prawn scent. It seemed to stain the jigs and worst of all being a liquid it made a break for it in my fishing bag.

I’m not saying that they don’t work. There are companies that spend hundreds or thousands of hours developing and testing these products or alternatively just put it out there with the philosophy “build it and they will come”. ?

In one sense any advantage is worth it (why I use glow in the dark jigs) and it is also a confidence builder. Problem is as a user you would have to test scented and unscented side by side for years to see if it made a difference. The other thing is you will never know if the scent made just enough difference to catch that squid you just landed or would you have caught it anyway. I was fortunate enough that one of my local tackle stores put a squid jigging presentation on years ago with a presenter from Japan (I’d consider the Japanese the leaders on most developments in this field as from everything I have read it is an obsession over there) . They showed us a squid jig which was over 300 years old from Japan with a coin as a weight. They talked about the theory behind colour selection based on water clarity and what time of day. I believe Yamashita makes a table to assist with this. BTW the Japanese will even seed the squid grounds with materials to which the squid can fasten their eggs.

The gear we get access to these days has had a lot of development behind it. What I am trying to say in my usual long winded way is get the basics right (selection of gear and more importantly retrieval techniques) first then try this other stuff. I’ve fished for squid side by side with a number of fishing mates and it is not often I get out fished so I am pretty confident in that what I do works.

Are you located anywhere near the lower north shore? If you are up for it we could head out shore based one day on a weekend. Spend a bit of time working on it yourself first based on the advice you have been picking up as you might have your own “aha” moment which makes all the difference for you and I might learn something new too. It is also fun working some things out at your own pace first.

Regards,

Derek

Thanks Derek, that is very nice of you! Had the jigs arrive yesterday so will go out and give it a crack ?

I know this may be a real amateur question, but are there any particular knots you want to be tying the jig on with? Also for the ease of changing jigs quickly?

1 hour ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Thanks Derek, that is very nice of you! Had the jigs arrive yesterday so will go out and give it a crack ?

I know this may be a real amateur question, but are there any particular knots you want to be tying the jig on with? Also for the ease of changing jigs quickly?

I rarely tie the line straight to the jig and if I do I just use a uni-knot. To avoid retying and related line wastage I buy small swivels and duolock clips (I usually have to buy the swivels and clips separately) both with a better rating than the line I am using. I've used other clips but they have cost me more lures than I like. You can get away using just the clip without the swivel but I use the same system for halco twistys which is why I want the swivel in the set up. Allows me to very quickly change between squid jigs and other hard body lures without having to re-tie knots.

Edited by DerekD

22 minutes ago, DerekD said:

I rarely tie the line straight to the jig and if I do I just use a uni-knot. To avoid retying and related line wastage I buy small swivels and duolock clips (I usually have to buy the swivels and clips separately) both with a better rating than the line I am using. I've used other clips but they have cost me more lures than I like. You can get away using just the clip without the swivel but I use the same system for halco twistys which is why I want the swivel in the set up. Allows me to very quickly change between squid jigs and other hard body lures without having to re-tie knots.

Is this the sort of set up you're talking about @DerekD?

Fishing-Ball-Bearing-Barrel-Swivel-With-Duo-Lock-Snaps-Stainless-Steel-Solid-Rings-Fishing-Line-To.jpg_640x640.jpg

38 minutes ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Is this the sort of set up you're talking about @DerekD?

Fishing-Ball-Bearing-Barrel-Swivel-With-Duo-Lock-Snaps-Stainless-Steel-Solid-Rings-Fishing-Line-To.jpg_640x640.jpg

BINGO!! That is the arrangement I was talking about. Swivel is a bit nicer than the ones I usually get but that is definitely the duoloc clip. There are a few companies that make the components. Seahorse makes a good value set of clips. There are also some variations of these clips with a really nice pear shape so you have can get some good movement of the attached lure. I use these on both my bream (4lb) and snapper (15lb) rods but in different sizes.

Lovely - thanks mate!

I've found some on eBay (from China) but can't seem to find them on any of the tackle websites. Am I looking in the wrong place or is a packet of 20 from China for $2.50 the standard price for this kind of stuff?

I don't particularly want to be losing jigs to poor quality clips and swivels if I can avoid it :)