New to Squidding

SydneyIsSkyBlue

1 hour ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Is this the sort of set up you're talking about @DerekD?

Fishing-Ball-Bearing-Barrel-Swivel-With-Duo-Lock-Snaps-Stainless-Steel-Solid-Rings-Fishing-Line-To.jpg_640x640.jpg

That looks more like a HD deep sea kind of swivel & looks pretty expensive.

Wouldn't a standard snap swivel do the job??

I also would have though a look knot would be used to give the jig a better or more natural action?

Edited by kingie chaser

47 minutes ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Lovely - thanks mate!

I've found some on eBay (from China) but can't seem to find them on any of the tackle websites. Am I looking in the wrong place or is a packet of 20 from China for $2.50 the standard price for this kind of stuff?

I don't particularly want to be losing jigs to poor quality clips and swivels if I can avoid it :)

They would be a low turn over item and such wouldn't have big financial returns I suspect most companies wouldn't waste the effort putting them on their online catalogues. You can try contacting the site sponsor Dinga by email for assistance. I usually just walk into my local shops and browse the walls till I find them and pick up a few packets at a time. Generally costs me between $3 and $5 per pack of clips and about the same for the swivels depending on the country of manufacture for either. Generally about 10 in a pack. For me these are a consumable. Over time after repeated casting and use you will get metal fatigue in both clips and swivels. Just load them up by hand once in a while as a check.

On a side note I used to use Yo-Zuri jigs but some of their product line had swivels already built in and I lost more jigs (actual quantity was pretty minor) to swivel fatigue than snags. It is why I look for a solid tow point on my squid jigs these days.

If you look around you can find quick change swivel/clips designed specifically for squidding.  They are light so as not to affect sink rate too much and the jig just twists onto them without need to open a clip.    

Regards    Ron

I've come across some online which look more like what is being described from local Australian websites.

Does a small lure clip change the hydrodynamics of the jig in the water or would I be better off using a straight uni knot or loop knot straight to the jig to give the jig more natural movement in the water?

Thanks again guys!

41 minutes ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

I've come across some online which look more like what is being described from local Australian websites.

Does a small lure clip change the hydrodynamics of the jig in the water or would I be better off using a straight uni knot or loop knot straight to the jig to give the jig more natural movement in the water?

Thanks again guys!

Unless it is stupidly heavy and changes the sink rate I really wouldn't worry about the dynamics. Depending on the retrieve you are using you are trying to achieve short darting (even erratic) movements to get their attention.

While I appreciate the tendency to understand as much of the theory as you can (I do the same) you have reached the point where you give it a go a few times and learn by trying. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have afterwards.

Good luck and don't despair if you don't get any as they move around a bit.

Did you find a few more of my past posts - still more details in them.

Edited by DerekD

50 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Unless it is stupidly heavy and changes the sink rate I really wouldn't worry about the dynamics. Depending on the retrieve you are using you are trying to achieve short darting (even erratic) movements to get their attention.

While I appreciate the tendency to understand as much of the theory as you can (I do the same) you have reached the point where you give it a go a few times and learn by trying. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have afterwards.

Good luck and don't despair if you don't get any as they move around a bit.

Did you find a few more of my past posts - still more details in them.

Makes sense. Thank you for all your assistance Derek (and others) - it is much appreciated. I managed to find the other posts, which were also very helpful.

Time to go out and give it a go. Hopefully will report back with a few squid in the not too distant future ?

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@DerekD would it help if I grabbed the article on Squidding? 

They have not been added back in since upgrade but I can just post it in a pinned post. 

Hi Donna,

It would - I think SlinkyMalinky did a really good write up from what I can remember. I might be able to add to it as I have done at least 10 detailed ones over the years depending on what some of the questions were at the time but I'd like to combine them into one before they could be uploaded.

Edited by DerekD

Had my first go at squid jigging today - Lilli Pilli Baths and Gymea Bay Baths!

Suffice to say, I feel like I have achieved my first right of passage in already losing a jig on a snag. Absolutely no luck, yet it seemed those around me also struggled. 

A quick question: I was using a 2.5 jig today and felt I was still getting pretty decent distance on my cast, but the jig felt like it took a really long time to sink which I think also affecting my whipping motion. Should I be using something with a bit more weight e.g.: 3.0 when targeting squid land-based on the Hacking? Needless to say as a first timer, my technique probably has a lot to be desired but I guess that will come with trial and error.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:24 PM, mrsswordfisherman said:

@DerekD would it help if I grabbed the article on Squidding? 

They have not been added back in since upgrade but I can just post it in a pinned post. 

Just a note here.

I have added several articles written by raiders on squidding. You will find them in Fishing Chat as pinned posts.

8 hours ago, SydneyIsSkyBlue said:

Had my first go at squid jigging today - Lilli Pilli Baths and Gymea Bay Baths!

Suffice to say, I feel like I have achieved my first right of passage in already losing a jig on a snag. Absolutely no luck, yet it seemed those around me also struggled. 

A quick question: I was using a 2.5 jig today and felt I was still getting pretty decent distance on my cast, but the jig felt like it took a really long time to sink which I think also affecting my whipping motion. Should I be using something with a bit more weight e.g.: 3.0 when targeting squid land-based on the Hacking? Needless to say as a first timer, my technique probably has a lot to be desired but I guess that will come with trial and error.

A little observation here - the numbers 2.2, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 correlates more to length (suspect inches) than pure weight. Yes they are heavier too which equates to better casting distance but it does not relate to sinking rate. That depends on density. I have three 2.2 jigs in the Yamashita Range-hunter series of jigs. The one with the blue eyes has a slow sinking rate, the one with the black eyes has what I consider a normal sinking rate and the one with the pink eyes (which I rarely use) has a fast sinking rate.

Get up on slightly higher ground above the water with the rod tip pointed down in front of you and spend some time watching how the squid jig darts as you try different flicks.

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

A little observation here - the numbers 2.2, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 correlates more to length (suspect inches) than pure weight. Yes they are heavier too which equates to better casting distance but it does not relate to sinking rate. That depends on density. I have three 2.2 jigs in the Yamashita Range-hunter series of jigs. The one with the blue eyes has a slow sinking rate, the one with the black eyes has what I consider a normal sinking rate and the one with the pink eyes (which I rarely use) has a fast sinking rate.

Get up on slightly higher ground above the water with the rod tip pointed down in front of you and spend some time watching how the squid jig darts as you try different flicks.

Thanks for that Derek! Will keep that in mind. ?