Windang, advise needed for a newbie

kanTec

Hi,

As you can see I'm new in here and new to fishing ?, patience appreciated.

I started touching the water end of last summer with a couple of trips in Botany Bay.

My next trip will be to Windang once weather permits. I needed some advise, more like a beginners recipe for I'll be fishing on the beach. I have two rods, 12 ft and 8 ft, both have spinning reels for casting. I don't know what am I targeting, but whiting, AS, FH, JF would be nice :)

1-What rig to use?

2-I don't want to use live bait or pilchards, I want to use lures and/or squid. What is the single lure I should get?

Thanks !

5 hours ago, kanTec said:

Hi,

As you can see I'm new in here and new to fishing ?, patience appreciated.

I started touching the water end of last summer with a couple of trips in Botany Bay.

My next trip will be to Windang once weather permits. I needed some advise, more like a beginners recipe for I'll be fishing on the beach. I have two rods, 12 ft and 8 ft, both have spinning reels for casting. I don't know what am I targeting, but whiting, AS, FH, JF would be nice :)

1-What rig to use?

2-I don't want to use live bait or pilchards, I want to use lures and/or squid. What is the single lure I should get?

Thanks !

Hi and welcome. Hopefully you will find us all pretty patient. I kind of goes with fishing!

I will let others comment on the area as I don't know it, but one piece of advice I will give you is always go out there targeting a specific species.  You will still get other things as bycatch.  

When looking at a new area you can approach this in a couple of different ways.  

Firstly you can pick the target and then try to figure out when and what conditions are likely to produce that target.

Alternatively if you know you are going to be there at a particular time you can try to figure out what will be there at that particular time/season/tide/Moon phase.

Once you pick the target, that will inform other choices like gear, bait, lures etc.  I wouldn't write of the humble pillie though - for some targets they are a good bait.

I'd be starting out with a standard paternosta rig (google that) on the 12 foot rod with around a 1/0 hook and the squid. that should give you a fair chance at flathead, bream, salmon and tailor. Don't pass up a pillie on a set of ganged hooks. They are probably the most popular bait on a beach for a good reason.

On the 8 foot rod, a metal lure like a halco twisty or surecatch bishop or knight will get you tailor and salmon. Pick the size/weight of the lure to suit your rod.

Best time to fish most beaches is around high tide that coincides with dawn or dusk.

Summer months, target flathead, bream and whiting. From about early March and through winter is good for salmon and tailor.

Many thanks Kiwicraig and Green Hornet!

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Don't pass up a pillie

The only reason I gave up on them is the smell that won't leave my clothes and stuff ?. I read about how to avoid the smell, I tried a couple of solution, but they partially work only. 

I guess I have enough information now to get me started !

Beach fishing is a hard gig imo, Im not very good at it although I do enjoy it but you do really have to be able to read the conditions as things like current can make it almost impossible to fish at times.

Its all about location, location, location. 

I prefer to fish the incoming tide & look for the gutters forming, this is where the smaller fish will be & usually the bigger fish will be chasing them.

If your going to use a paternoster rig then I recommend some star or spiked sinkers as this will slow the drag down a bit.

Do as much internet research as possible on the area, even using google earth etc to find likely areas to try.

Good luck :biggrinthumb:

No such thing as 1 lure ?

In your case you'll be set to grab soft plastics with jig heads to suit the conditions, 1 ounce to 1.5 ounce. Jerk shads or paddle tails to your liking. 

Depending on conditions and wind you'll have either north breakwall or south breakwall to play with. I've had success between south breakwall and the island with a north westerly. Mix bag of Bream, Salmon, and Choper Tailor. If the Tailors are on switch to hard bodies to save your plastics ?

All good mate, we are here to help & also be helped ourselves at times.

I also think if your not well practiced at making rigs then I found early on that these sort of pre rigged lines you can buy are good.

I still keep some in the box for when I have had a bust up & just want a quick rig in so I can get the line back in the water.

There are all sorts & brands for all types of fishing but this is the general type I would use for off the beach!

Surf popper.jpg