Nulon marine 2 stroke

Fab1

Anyone have first hand experience running this oil in an old tech outboard?I've run Yamalube since new on my boat and several other brands on other engines but never this.Its just Yamalube is a pain to source.

Open to peoples experiences and opinions as very soon I'll be hitting the water again after along layoff.

Cheers.

I've not used myself. I;m guessing that it will have the same rating as your Yamalube (TW3?) The only thing that Yamaha will probably say is that you should use non-yamaha oil at the same ratio 100:1

Thats what Evinrude say with not using their oil. 

Yeah,just quietly I suspect it's a lure to keep you buying their oil.A bit like the car dealer that tells you you must get your new car serviced with them otherwise it voids your new car warranty.

I know it will run fine on any tcw3 oil I was more concerned about more noticeable fumes,fouling etc.

I use penrite in my other vehicles for ages. When I googled about penrite 2 stroke a while ago, hard to find many threads about it, main thing I came across was people using it in dirt bikes said it’s a great oil but bad odour. That was enough for me not to try it. 

The marine 2 stroke might be a completely different product, wasn’t motivated enough to go further.

Edited by raging

7 hours ago, raging said:

I use penrite in my other vehicles for ages. When I googled about penrite 2 stroke a while ago, hard to find many threads about it, main thing I came across was people using it in dirt bikes said it’s a great oil but bad odour. That was enough for me not to try it. 

The marine 2 stroke might be a completely different product, wasn’t motivated enough to go further.

Fair enough,i might give it a crack and see how it fares i guess.If i don't like it ill go back to the yamalube i guess or something else.

I wouldn't use motorcycle two stroke in an outboard, only marine two stroke. The other way around is ok, but I had heard that the outboards have more stress and that outboard oil was all you should ever use.  I guess that the reason for the increase in mixing ratio with non vendor oils is so that it is smokier so they can then tell you that using their product produces less smoke, and not because the ration is 100:1 instead of 50:1, or is that just a conspiracy theory ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raging said:

Report back. Upload smell samples ?

Wish I could upload smell samples of the bloke on the train today for you.I can only imagine how ripe he'd be come summer.I reckon abalone gut smells like roses compared to him.?On a serious note I'll let you all know how the nulon goes.

12 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Yeah,i hear where your coming from.I forgot to ask if anyone knows a supplier of yamalube reasonably close to Campbelltown if they could please pm me.

Cheers.

Pm sent

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Just bought penrite oil today and will see how it fairs.

Went out today and am very happy with the penrite 2 stroke.Did smoke a little like the yamalube at start up and then nothing for the rest of the day.