Sydney BlueFin

nipper

Fished with my mate and his family yesterday off Sydney, Finally found them in 1000fathoms and got a triple header boating two. Put the lures back out took a few pictures and got half way through a chicken roll then got another double header catching both fish. Long day and now to go finishing processing the fish after being in ice slurry all night. Plenty of fresh tuna to eat and give away.bluefin3.thumb.jpg.271206265d2373f6bac78b6b221aacc6.jpg

• Like 10

Pickles, back in the day during my time as a deckhand on commercial long line fishing vessels we learnt how to look after the fish the best way possible to have the best product.  Its a shame that a lot of people don't know how much ice is really needed to look after fish. When ever possible it is best to have at an absolute minimum 50% of weight ice to fish body weight. Example. 25kg ice for a 50kg fish.  I understand it is hard t have a lot of ice some days but its something worth thinking about

A couple of 5kgs bags of ice at the servo at 0500 in the way to the boat on a days bluefin fishing is going to leave your self  short on the best icing for the fish. On a side note, whilst I'm on a topic when we used to export tuna to Japan it would take at least 24hrs for a 100kg fish's core temp to get to 4 degrees C in full ice slurry before it could be legally shipped overseas. 

Its a topic that needs to be more talked about and how important it is to look after your prized catch for best quality on the table. There are some great fish bags and eskies these days but im guessing that the amount of ice needed is on the back burner in the mind at the beginning of the days fishing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Fantastic and a lady angler :)

yea my mate of his wife including their 10 year old daughter fish a lot and do very well especially out of an 18 ft boat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nipper said:

Pickles, back in the day during my time as a deckhand on commercial long line fishing vessels we learnt how to look after the fish the best way possible to have the best product.  Its a shame that a lot of people don't know how much ice is really needed to look after fish. When ever possible it is best to have at an absolute minimum 50% of weight ice to fish body weight. Example. 25kg ice for a 50kg fish.  I understand it is hard t have a lot of ice some days but its something worth thinking about

A couple of 5kgs bags of ice at the servo at 0500 in the way to the boat on a days bluefin fishing is going to leave your self  short on the best icing for the fish. On a side note, whilst I'm on a topic when we used to export tuna to Japan it would take at least 24hrs for a 100kg fish's core temp to get to 4 degrees C in full ice slurry before it could be legally shipped overseas. 

Its a topic that needs to be more talked about and how important it is to look after your prized catch for best quality on the table. There are some great fish bags and eskies these days but im guessing that the amount of ice needed is on the back burner in the mind at the beginning of the days fishing

Cant agree more, I always grab a bag of ice to make a slurry in an esky even when fishing out of my 13ft tinny in Botany for my usual catch of flathead, bream etc.

Makes the eating so much better & you can see the difference in the colour of the flesh when you dont!

You only have to watch Hot Tuna to see how much ice those guys use.

Well done Nipper.

I am heading out tomorrow from Broken Bay. Will go wide from their and tossing up whether to go south or North.

Cooler water looks well wide at the moment so fingers crossed.

They certainly seem to be in better numbers this year, hopefully people don't go silly on them. I spoke with some lads who had booked two days on a charter down this way, first day they bagged out, not sure how the second day went but I know they brought several more back. They were staying in the local campsite and hadn't a clue what to do with all the fish, they even asked me for good places to eat out as they didn want to eat bluefin.

7 hours ago, bagga said:

Nice work. Great looking fish. How far offshore Botany Bay are the bluefin? Past the Peak? Some info where to head would be appreciated. 

Definitely out wider than The Peak. He said “1,000 fathoms”... that’s about 1829 metres. ? Too far out for me in my boat!

14 hours ago, bagga said:

Nice work. Great looking fish. How far offshore Botany Bay are the bluefin? Past the Peak? Some info where to head would be appreciated. 

We found them with at least 20 other boats yesterday about 10 knts east of Browns , about 33 knts from Sydney heads, most fish 30-50 kgs.

• Thanks 1

We were at 33 54 line on the and not sure of longtitude but 1000fathoms. In an 18ft Cruise craft. Take plenty of fuel and then add a bit more to make sure. Make sure your radio is working before you leave the heads as all we heard out there was people asking for a radio check all day. There does seem to be a dead spot out around are for some reason on VHF 21 so be patient. Also has a pen n paper ready to write down GPS numbers as people who hook up let others know to share the action area. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info that’s a bit too far out in my 5.1 Cruiseabout.  I’ve got a radio and epirb but wouldn’t attempt it.  Reception even cuts out just going up the river haha?. Keep the reports coming guys great too see these fish off our shores.