Photos of some local fishermen

Volitan

Just noticed this subforum for the first time. I thought it would be interesting to look through some old photos to see if Id taken some of birds in the act of catching fish. All these photos taken on the Central Coast, mostly just across the road from our house.

First up is an osprey family. These ones are from the northern end of Central Coast. As far as I could work out, it takes an adult about 5-10mins avg hunting  time to catch a fish large enough to justify the flight back to the nest. They really are master fishermen.

Fish in photo number one has a bream and photo two has a longtom. I didn't get to see what the third fish was, maybe a happy moments. It was caught in Lake Macquarie too.

My apologies about the poor photo quality. I no longer have a desktop, so cant do any postprocessing except simple stuff like cropping.

There is some shallow water in front of our house, and there are regularly several species of heron/egret fishing there. They have become quite approachable.

The great egret caught a an unusually large prawn for the area, and the white faced heron caught a leatherjacket, strangely in the seagrass bed. It took it to shallow water and, grasping it by the spine, shook it incessantly. I assume it was trying to break the spine off. 

The other heron is a mangrove heron. Also common around here but a lot shyer, so I haven't got any actual fishing photos yet.

And the species I would like the most to catch in the act of fishing is the azure kingfisher. The ones around here are wary and seem to bolt back into bushland when they make a capture. Therefore I only have birds with no fish to show.

Hope you like

cheers

V.

ospreybream.JPG

ospreylongtom.JPG

ospreyunkownfish.jpg

egret and prawn 1.jpg

whitefacedheronsmall.jpg

mangrovestalking.jpg

axurelookingfront.jpg

azurelookingside.jpg

• Like 10