Cracka Drummer session

LuckyFil

Did a quick dash up the mid north coast trying for drummer after the latest swell started to drop. A fishing mate gave me some good info on a spot he'd heard had fired recently (sorry can't be too specific). Drove up Wednesday arriving at 3:30pm in time for a short fish, conditions looked great plenty of wash, put in plenty of burley but no-one wanted to play.

My offsider Al (my son's fishing buddy who initiated the trip) went for a pre-dawn spin off the point hoping for a late tuna , none about but he managed over 30 tailor, many quite big - brought 3 back for the smoker and released the rest.

We both headed out for a drummer fish in the late morning as the next spot can only be reached at low tide, arrived at first likely looking ledge but too much wash so climbed a bit further to another cut out and started burleying this one. Only a few kelpies to start with then Al calls out "I'm on" and his rod is buckled over. A short tough struggle and he lands a beautifully conditioned drummer of around 43cm. Lots of whooping it up as we'd both been starting to wonder if the long drive had been worth it.

With the monkey off the back we relaxed a little. It wasn't too long before I hooked up and had my hands full with another tough fight to get my fish clear of the barnacles and cunje below. Al clambered down and helped retrieve this fish which I measured later at 49cm. We continued to land or lose fish for the next hour or two with a mix of big drummer and good silver bream coming up the burley trail. We kept a couple of bream at first then released all the rest (maybe 6 in the 32-36cm range). After bagging 5 drummer between 42-49cm we released a further 2 in the same size range - now that's when you know its a good session that you can throw back so many good sized pigs and bream, but we didn't want to be greedy and also hoped it was appeasing the fishing gods for good luck in the future.

After cleaning the fish we headed up the hill with very tired backs and big smiles talking all the way about our best ever drummer session.

Headed home this morning rather than venture out for a morning session as we were stuffed and wouldn't have been keeping anything anyway. Have included a few pics below.

Cheers

Fil

Resized_20180712_130350_6956.jpg

Resized_20180712_124603_2220.jpeg

Resized_20180712_142507_6676.jpeg

Resized_20180712_142545_014_4683.jpeg

Resized_20180712_143724_157.jpeg

• Like 5