Andras

HELP A NEwBY:) Manly Area

Recommended Posts

Hi There, 

My name is Andras and I'm a total beginner, I have fished 3 times for now. I catch 2 small Breams at Narrabeen a few days back, but that's  it for now. 

Today i was at the Manly Dam, and I had a great time, what a beautiful place,  although have not seen a single fish. I started to google, and I apparently Bass fishing is the main thing up there, but I also heard that in the winter months its much harder to catch one.  If anybody has any recommendations, how and what to fish there, this time of the year I would highly appreciate it. 

I am not strictly looking for advises for the dam, if there is other places you guys think I should try with different types of fish and set ups, I am also interested.  I have been to Grotto Point, also an amazing place, had a fish around my bait but got away. 

Finally if anyone is going to fish the dam, or anywhere around manly and would not  mind the company of  curious beginner, to show him a few techniques and tricks, lt would be amazing. 

All the best to everyone. 

Andras

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andras, its not really my area but I have seen a fair few previous threads on here about fishing Narrabeen lakes & off the beaches up there.

Can I suggest you use the search toolbar on the top of the page here & have a look for threads that might be able to give you a bit more info.

But you are right, generally he fishing this time of year doe tend to shut down a bit.

 

Good luck :biggrinthumb:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mate,

I fish Narrabeen lake heaps. I'm going there next weekend with my misses. A good all year round bait I like to use is hawkesbury prawns. You won't have much luck catching flatheads unless you land your bait really close to them. If you are going for a bit of fun, you can't go wrong around the eastern side near to the parking lot, you will catch heaps of small bream and have a fun time. but if you are looking for a feed. you will want to get a bit closer to the bridge. Try casting as close as you can to the piers as you can. Bream like solid structure. Lure fishing is generally prefered but a well placed hawkesbury prawn won't be unnoticed. I generally use a whole H Prawn and slide it along the hook (Deshelled of course). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Andras,

I fish Narrabeen lakes plenty with my younger brother and one location that is guaranteed a catch is near the caravan park on the north-east side of the lake. He has a video on his youtube channel in this area, the best way to go about fishing here is to have the smallest hook you can with a small ball of bread on the tip, there are a few large fish about it can be hard to get them to bite before the little ones get to it first.

There is another location that often has good results this is near the Woolworths which has a higher chance of getting a bigger fish he also has made a video in this area but we only caught a few small tarwhine and bream. But I did have something large come off, it almost broke my rod.

The final location I can recommend is on the tip of the point off Wimbledon Avenue in Narrabeen, this part of the lake has similar small sized fish but we once hooked on a large jewfish that sadly broke off just before we landed it. 

Good luck fishing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 8:38 AM, kingie chaser said:

Hi Andras, its not really my area but I have seen a fair few previous threads on here about fishing Narrabeen lakes & off the beaches up there.

Can I suggest you use the search toolbar on the top of the page here & have a look for threads that might be able to give you a bit more info.

But you are right, generally he fishing this time of year doe tend to shut down a bit.

 

Good luck :biggrinthumb:

Thanx a lot!

I wil look around to see what i can find!:)

Cheers again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 11:38 PM, FishStickSteve said:

Hi Mate,

Hi Mate,

Thanx a lot for your answer. Ill try around where you recommended! I was just wondering the bridge you mention, is the one close to Wollies, or the one at the Beach. Thanx again and all the bests Andras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ITechnologyman said:

Hey Andras,

I fish Narrabeen lakes plenty with my younger brother and one location that is guaranteed a catch is near the caravan park on the north-east side of the lake. He has a video on his youtube channel in this area, the best way to go about fishing here is to have the smallest hook you can with a small ball of bread on the tip, there are a few large fish about it can be hard to get them to bite before the little ones get to it first. 

There is another location that often has good results this is near the Woolworths which has a higher chance of getting a bigger fish he also has made a video in this area but we only caught a few small tarwhine and bream. But I did have something large come off, it almost broke my rod.

The final location I can recommend is on the tip of the point off Wimbledon Avenue in Narrabeen, this part of the lake has similar small sized fish but we once hooked on a large jewfish that sadly broke off just before we landed it.  

Good luck fishing!

Thanx a lot  for your answer, and your help! Ill get out there tomorrow and give it a go! Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Andras said:

Hi Mate,

Thanx a lot for your answer. Ill try around where you recommended! I was just wondering the bridge you mention, is the one close to Wollies, or the one at the Beach. Thanx again and all the bests Andras.

Closest to woolies, Red spots I go with prawns and is land based. but if I can bring a kayak I'll take a soft plastic and flick around the blue circles for some flatheads. 

I love Narrabeen, in summer it is not rare for my misses to catch 3 to 5 45+cm flatheads using whole hawkesbury prawns. 

Narrabeen Spots.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,524
    • Total Posts
      516,549