Hey guys, going to Narrabeen beach at around 12:00 in a few days. I haven't gone beach fishing before and quite obviously, I want to catch fish. I was just wondering how can maximise my chances of actually getting fish and perhaps scoring a feed.

I've done well at north narrabeen for whiting and bream using live nippers. That was Feb though. Given that the waters are a bit cooler now you'd want to target bream Flathead and Aussie salmon. Soft plastics or small chrome lures are probably your best bet. As for timing... If you're fishing midday you will want to make sure it's a high tide and there's a little wash or a gutter around somewhere. I've never done well in broad daylight unless the fish have some sort of cover like a gutter or some white wash.

Bream will be an easy target if youre after a feed. Very lightly weighted running sinker rug with a peeled prawn, cunjevoi or nippers will see you onto fish.

The terrain makes a huge difference. I'd put my money on fishing where the rock and weed meets the sand. About 50m south of the ocean baths there.

I'd check the swell forecast too. If it's not too bad from the rocks and you have a buddy with u and the appropriate gear... I. E.  Cleats, id chase drummer. 10X better eating than bream or flatties imo 

Best fishing is low light periods or overcast days. 

Also barley helps a lot

Edited by Kracka
Added information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Middle of the day can be a tough time to fish, have you checked what the tide will be doing. Are you hoping for small bread & butter species or looking at more sporting fish like salmon and tailor ( doubt you will pull a Jew out at that time of the day ). Are you using ultra light bream, whiting gear or beach gear.

Middle of the day can often have surfers too.

• Thanks 1

JonD, I'm taking multiple rods, My main one is a 5-8kg for anything from bream to tailor however I am also taking some very light rods hopefully for whiting. I will hopefully be catching bread and butter species and it will be high tide.