Lake Jindabyne

61 crusher

Hi being fairly new to the site I thought I’d post my last fishing trip. Went down to Jyndabine on the last day of the June long weekend with a mate and the barcrusher in tow we got to the caravan park near the Thredbo turn off about 1pm and unloaded everything, we had launched the boat by 2:30pm and fishing soon after, managed to get 4 trout by nightfall, kept one around 48cm and released the others. That night another mate turned up, the next morning we were on the water by seven and tried another part of the lake and managed to get salmon, rainbow and brown trout, released two fish which were the only undersized fish of the trip. The following morning we were on the water before dawn and headed up to near where the snowy and thredbo rivers come into the lake, saw an amazing sunrise and proceeded to lose a bit of gear to some trees in a shallow bay, the wind started to come up which made things interesting trolling the edges, later in the afternoon we tried around the islands and the clay pits infront of Jyndabine. At nightfall we were making our way back to base past the clay pits when a yellow winged tassie on the the shotgun went off and I managed to wrangle a 58cm fat brown to the boat which was the biggest for the trip. We tried to stay out of the wind the next day but it was gusting so bad that at once stage that the whole lake had like  10 foot of white spray across it, the fish seemed to shut down even though we could see an occasional one on the sounder. The final day was canned and ended up going to the trout hatchery, very interesting and there retired brood stock made my brown trout look like a young teenager they are so big and bulky

• Like 5

Never fished LJ by boat but have always wanted to.

Looks like you had a pretty productive time but yeh those mountain winds can be bloody horrible!.

Seen the lake with whitecaps on it plenty of times.

I used to work up there during ski seasons & on days off would drive down the mountain & fish the mouth of the Thredbo.

Not overly productive but its so dam peaceful & normally not another person in sight, loved it :biggrinthumb:

Trout & Salmon are amongst my favourite fish to eat, whether salt or fresh.

3 hours ago, blaxland said:

Good job on the trout, and did I see salmon? I just got my first barcrusher 535c and look forward to expanding my horizens.

Thanks blaxland the salmon went 47cm my best weighed 3kg and went 60cm,I’ve had my 560c with 130etec since 2010 and had it halfway between browns and heatons very seaworthy, my mate brought his pie warmer,best thing I’ve had on the boat next to his tiagras

3 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great report 

Thanks masterfisho

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Never fished LJ by boat but have always wanted to.

Looks like you had a pretty productive time but yeh those mountain winds can be bloody horrible!.

Seen the lake with whitecaps on it plenty of times.

I used to work up there during ski seasons & on days off would drive down the mountain & fish the mouth of the Thredbo.

Not overly productive but its so dam peaceful & normally not another person in sight, loved it :biggrinthumb:

Trout & Salmon are amongst my favourite fish to eat, whether salt or fresh.

Thanks kingie chaser, used to go down annually around June , missed the last couple of years, it was good to get down to the lake again, the best we did was 46 fish in 5days and the odd brown and salmon in the low 60s, it was the worst wind we’ve experienced and yes they are great to eat especially smoked cheers

Sounds like a good few days. I had a week down there late May with my boat and had a blast.
I see that you are running quite a big engine, can I ask what speed you were trolling at? I was running a 60hp 4 stroke Merc at tick-over and ended up with a bucket over the side to get me slowed down... ?

All my fish  were caught on Tassie Devils.

This was my trip

Edited by GordoRetired
Update

8 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Sounds like a good few days. I had a week down there late May with my boat and had a blast.
I see that you are running quite a big engine, can I ask what speed you were trolling at? I was running a 60hp 4 stroke Merc at tick-over and ended up with a bucket over the side to get me slowed down... ?

All my fish  were caught on Tassie Devils.

This was my trip

Hi Gordo retired sounds like you had a great trip, all of ours where caught on tazzies except for one, we’ve caught a few of our better fish on hard bodies mind you the odd tassie has as well, like you just in gear with one or 2 buckets out and into the wind no buckets depending on speed, normally east Jyndabine has been good to us but the wind made it hard and we only tried once, so true about the almanac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Out of curiosity how do you download photos it says I’ve exceeded capacity even with one photo

All I had to do was click on Choose Files, then selected the file location and specific file I want and click 'open'. Then the file appears in the text like the one below.

Carrot.jpg

4 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Out of curiosity how do you download photos it says I’ve exceeded capacity even with one photo

You have to get your total photos for the post down below 4.1MB. Just reduce them down. I post on my phone using photos on my phone, so I just have to crop them down a little. If I take photos on my SLR camera, the files would be several MB, so I would have to reduce them on the PC with my photo editing software.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Open your photos in Paint (or such) and resize to say 20%. The quality is still good enough and you can then upload them. I usually select the photos which I'm going to use and resize them in Paint and save them (along with the original in the file location). I click on SAVE AS and add rs after the picture identifying number thus. IMG 3234 becomes IMG 3234rs. Hope that makes sense. bn If you need more detail let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice report. Good times and fantastic fresh water catches.

I was there at Jindabyne for snowboarding not fishing. Met a friend who has estate in Jindabyne and asked me come down for fishing and I think I will take that offer after reading your results....

congratulation on your fishing trip..

Thanks for the comments podtrailler, you should definitely take up your friends offer and being a local he should have the fishing sust out and as gordoretired mentioned using the fishing almanac and fishing the better days does make a difference, you could probably combine fishing & snowboarding in the one trip & have some fish to take back?

81683DAA-2361-4257-B63E-BDAFB3434918.png

• Like 3