How much anchor rope

blaxland

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, kingie chaser said:

I like the idea of this & wouldn't mind setting it up on my 13ft tinny.

I know its not that far to the front but its still a PITA getting up & back, climbing over gear & seats.

I found this youtube which explained the system to me a bit better.

I like it & think O will get this system ready over winter ready for spring fishing.

This actually looks like a better system than just simply putting a anchor retriever on the anchor rope and trying to catch it when you pull it up.

It also allows you to detach from the anchor in emergencies and go back and retrieve it later.

My only question is it would be good to have varying lengths of anchor rope for different depths eg inside the harbour vs outside the heads.

Stash,

I used a similar technique (described earlier in this same post) for many years... These guys were anchored in extremely calm waters so factor that into how "easy" they made the anchor retrieve.... add swell and wind effects, perhaps being closer to a rock face and I'd bet they would have had to hurry much much more on the rope and chain pulling.

But generally speaking, it's a good technique to deploy the anchor from the back.  Makes it a lot easier.

@Stash just make sure you have all the open waters safety gear in place before you start anchoring outside the heads in a 13ft tinny.  It can be done, but just be safe.

BTW, watching this makes me so glad I installed an anchor winch.

Cheers Zoran

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

I used a similar technique (described earlier in this same post) for many years... These guys were anchored in extremely calm waters so factor that into how "easy" they made the anchor retrieve.... add swell and wind effects, perhaps being closer to a rock face and I'd bet they would have had to hurry much much more on the rope and chain pulling.

But generally speaking, it's a good technique to deploy the anchor from the back.  Makes it a lot easier.

@Stash just make sure you have all the open waters safety gear in place before you start anchoring outside the heads in a 13ft tinny.  It can be done, but just be safe.

BTW, watching this makes me so glad I installed an anchor winch.

Cheers Zoran

thanks for the tip.
I am in a 5m Signature with all the open water gear.

I am thinking a winch might be a whole lot easier.