There are some very mixed opinions about whether you should salt bait. I was just wondering if anybody here has some opinions about salting bait(mainly pilchards). Is it really that much tougher? Is it worth the effort? Do fish like it as much or even more? I'm just interested because I've had some problems with how soft pilchards are and how they sometimes come off the hook casting.

5 hours ago, pugzthugz said:

There are some very mixed opinions about whether you should salt bait. I was just wondering if anybody here has some opinions about salting bait(mainly pilchards). Is it really that much tougher? Is it worth the effort? Do fish like it as much or even more? I'm just interested because I've had some problems with how soft pilchards are and how they sometimes come off the hook casting.

Have used both salted and freshly thawed pilchards when fishing for tailor and catch with both using gang hook set - up. The benefit of salted is they will not come off as easily when casting. Not much point casting and having no bait on the hook when it hits the water, eh? bn

• Like 1

Salting works well. Pre-salted pilchards that I have used are not as good as salting them yourself. They put in the minimal amount of sale and then freeze it. The pilchards don't have enough time to really get leathery before they are frozen.

I would buy a box block and do it yourself. 

• Like 1

Yeah salting is a great option. I usually salt down the fillets of any left over livies at the end of a trip or pilies if we have a bag in the esky that didn't get used and have substantially de-thawed. Easy to do with a 20kg bag of pool salt, just load into a container with plenty of salt and if you drain any liquid off they will last for a good month or two in the fridge, no need to freeze. Never as good as fresh caught baits but just as good as store bought pilies in terms of bites and much tougher. 

Rich

• Like 1

I don't salt pilchards, my preferred bait to salt is Slimy Mackerel . I have a stainless steel tray about a metre long x 1/2 metre wide and 30mm deep. I put a layer of rock/butchers salt down then lay the fillets on the salt put another layer of salt on top, put it in a place the cats can't get at it and leave it for 24 hours or more. then lightly brush off access salt and put into take away food containers and freeze.

I can take one container each session and the baits are tough but with no slime or smell and the fish don't seem to mind them not being fresh, what isn't used can go back home and used next time, last months or even longer.

If I need to I will buy the slimey's from fish markets.

Frank

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pugzthugz said:

I'll consider that Connico, also have you noticed if fish actually like them as much?

Yeah I get more hook ups because the bait stays on longer mate.

I also salt my squid baits as well. It stays on the hook way longer and the hook rate is the same to me

• Like 1

Have salted store bouhht frozen pilchard and whitebait, freshly caught yakka and freshly caught slimies. Same method as above - get a bag of pool salt (I got mine from Bunnings) and a large container to create a bed of salt, layer fillets and then salt on top. Drain excess liquid that eventually comes out.

Pilchard and slimies- work really well, nice solid fillets and pilchard cubes. Bite rate is great, probably because of the staying power. Sometimes pour a little tuna oil in the zip lock bag to let them marinade.

Whitebait - turned out ok, but generally still fragile. Bite rate good.

Yakka - don't bother, I suspect the reduced oil content makes it less attractive.

• Like 1

My opinion is fresh is best.

home salted is not bad, maybe 75% as attractive as fresh

commercial salted stuff is pretty hopeless 

But

To keep pilchards on the hook the best way is bait elastic. Wind it over and over and bind the pilchard to the hook and trace. Also helps tidy up the presentation with the hook point facing outwards and ready for action. Often, the pilchard will be ready to go again after catching a fish.

• Like 1

I have found that tying a pillie tail makes it pretty secure put hook all the way through the tail end then hook through the meaty bit lay the hook along the spine and tie a half hitch around the tail. baithk6.jpg

Edited by blaxland
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 12:57 PM, FishStickSteve said:

I've used presalted pilchards a month ago becasue they didn't have the regular ones. I didnt catch a bloody thing in a place I normally leave with sore arms and a full esky. So I won't rush out and buy more. 

I find the same thing, Salted pilchard from a store and not one bite.

fresh Pilchards regular bites and fresh Mullet even more bites.

• Like 1

Yeah try to use other baits rather than servo pilchards beacause they get soft and are expensive. If you must then buy the unsalted ones and do it yourself but catching your own bait usually seems to be best

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SickWolf said:

Yeah try to use other baits rather than servo pilchards beacause they get soft and are expensive. If you must then buy the unsalted ones and do it yourself but catching your own bait usually seems to be best

I'm transitioning over to using lures. had my first bit tailor and a group of 50cm squid and now I am... hooked. :D

My misses is still a fan of prawns and pilchards and always catches us dinner. 

• Like 1

Have been salting my pilchards for years, if there are fish around they rarelly ignore a salted pilchard fillet or cube. I read somewhere due to the moisture leching out during salting process the resultant pilchard are oilier and have a stronger scent. Salted pilchard stay on longer on a set of gangs and is easier to fillet or cut in cubes compared to an unsalted pilchard. I must try salting slimies next for big snapper cubed baits.

• Like 1

I salted pippies for years mostly as a back-up in case I couldn't get bait on the beach and I think at times, especially for bream, they were better than fresh because they were tougher and smelt more .... its a pity that due to the abuse by a few people, you can't take pippies off the beach anymore.

I'll always choose salted pillies over frozen although haven't made the effort to salt my own.

• Like 1