Bulk/cheap bait

pugzthugz

Ok, so everybody knows servo's + bait = ripoff and often tackle shops aren't much better. I was just wondering if there is any cheap solution to buying bait from places like servo's and tackle shops and if this includes buying in bulk.?

Having a bait freezer is the go and collect it.   I will buy the odd bag of IQF pillies but a lot of the time I come home with more bait then I took.

When you freeze bait do it so it’s easier to separate later. Take bait in a small esky and frozen water bottle just defrost what you need.  

• Like 1

I rarely buy bait these days. I try to catch my own. Bonito, slimy mackerel, yellowtail - these all go into vacuum seal bags in manageable sizes/quantities, cryovacced and into a large upright freezer in the garage. I call it the bait freezer but with 40kg of dog food delivered a month, there is less room for bait! The missus even wants to put food in there! The sacrilege! ??

Next step for me is to start salting my bonito...

• Haha 1

Whatever you find, just dont use edible prawns for bait. NSW DPI have been all over social media saying not to use edible prawns for bait because of white spot disease. White spot is fine for humans to eat but kills the local prawns if they get it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blindmullet said:

Whatever you find, just dont use edible prawns for bait. NSW DPI have been all over social media saying not to use edible prawns for bait because of white spot disease. White spot is fine for humans to eat but kills the local prawns if they get it

Can you clarify that? In my mind, all prawns are edible! ? When I go to Woolies, there is a sign on imported prawns “must not be used as bait”, or words to that effect. There is no such sign on Australian king or banana prawns, so I assumed they’re OK for bait. I never buy imported seafood of any kind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Can you clarify that? In my mind, all prawns are edible! ? When I go to Woolies, there is a sign on imported prawns “must not be used as bait”, or words to that effect. There is no such sign on Australian king or banana prawns, so I assumed they’re OK for bait. I never buy imported seafood of any kind.

Id guess the aus king/banana dont have the sign because they dont have the disease. I probably could have worded it better too lol.

Bit more info about it https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/pests-diseases/animal-health/aquaculture/white-spot-disease/important-information-for-recreation-fishers-use-of-prawns-as-bait

• Like 2